What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ADS-B with SkyView & GTX327

jhk770

I have a RV7A with the SkyView system and a GTX 327 as my transponder. I would like some advice on which path I should choose for ADS-B. I'm definitely going with the 470 box for my ADS-B In, & the GPS2020 for my WAAS signal, because a 650 or equivalent is too expensive at this juncture, and I want traffic and weather to be displayed on my SkyView, but I am torn on which transponder to choose. I really don't want a hole in my panel when I pull the GTX327. I love the 327, but Garmin ADS-B transponders seem too expensive in comparison. So I guess my only choices are the Trig TT31 panel mount or the Dynon/Trig T22 remote mount.

I'm leaning towards the panel mount because;

1) Easier install (I think... not sure where I would mount the T22. Kind of tight up front and the tail cone seems like a pain).

2) The Trig TT31 fills the hole in the panel.

I know the SkyView can control the Trig T22 and that's cool having everything in the SkyView. Can it control the TT31? Am I forgetting anything for my decision?

Any other ideas are welcomed.

Your thoughts....

Thanks,

Jim

The Dynon SV-GPS-2020 can only be used with Dynon's 261 transponder if you want to be compliant. It will not interface with any other transponder. The FAA requires ADS-B OUT systems to have been tested as a complete system, and for the manufacturer to produce a statement of compliance as well as installation instructions for the system. Dynon has not done this with the GPS-2020 with anything but our own transponder, and we are not aware of any other organization that has either (it doesn't need to be Dynon).

So you're really looking at either a full Dynon solution, or one completely independent of Dynon.

SkyView can't control any transponder besides our 261/262 transponder. While they are made by Trig, they have custom firmware allowing them to interface with an EFIS.

I don't know what other avionics you have but can you fabricate a bracket for the SV-261 that mounts in and covers the hole left by the G327? Would make the installation look professional.

:cool:

The 261 is "headless". You wouldn't want it where the GTX-327 was :)

Mine is installed on the horizontal center brace that sits on the floor skin directly behind the baggage panel on my -7A. Works great. Antenna is back there too.

327 hole cover

What I did when I removed my 327 and installed the 261, I just found an old Piper panel cover to plug up the hole until I redo my panel someday.

Brian

Mine was at the bottom of the center stack. Made a nice tray to replace the 327 tray (sold it with the unit) from some scrap aluminum. Painted it black and installed some black faux leather on the bottom so things wouldn't slide around. Perfect spot for my IPad mini, phone, small note pad ect.

Gary

I like the idea of making a little tray to put in the hole to hold stuff. Unfortunately, I'm going to have to move some things around as my GTX327 is in the middle, above the comm radio and below the audio panel. I also like the idea of putting the 261 behind the baggage compartment. How did you route the wires to the back? Also, where is your 470 box installed.
Thanks

Back