What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Old RV-6A pop up panel?

Reboot

Old RV-6A tip up panel?

Im planning on upgrading my panel this winter and would like to get an old panel that is scrap. Anyone have one sitting in their hanger?

Last edited:
I made a panel out of 1/8" plywood to test with. Easy to cut and mark. It gave me the chance to try out different choices and placement of equipment. After I had everything as I wanted, I got a piece of 0.32 aluminum at a local shop and made it again just to check the top flange and fit under canopy.

In the end I had Stein cut a panel for me when he built it and he did a nice job. As I sit in the plane now while I am finishing it and getting my license, I would have make changes, but too late now!

I've played with a few 6 panels & found in each case that the edge shape of the panel was unique, due to small variances in how the plane was built.
You could use someone else's scrap panel as a planning reference, but use your original panel to do final outside cut!

I replace my round dial RV6A panel with GRT EFIS/EIS and auto pilot this past winter.
These 2 pics are of the plywood panel mock up I used. This was very useful in allowing me to make all the harnesses in my heated garage and verifying that everything worked before the final install. Also was able to determine that the gyro insts had to be switched with the 2 pitot/static inst due to a conflict with the structure behind the panel.
v7bi14.jpg

2v69f.jpg

This is my new panel as I designed it using xpanelsoftware.com
65wyon.jpg

Back