What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sensenich or Wirlwind Ground Pitch prop?

Reboot

I have a 6A with a O-320 that has an over pitched prop, and has damage. It's usable and most likely can be repitched. However I want to replace it and leaning to one of the Ground Pitch props. I use my plan for CC trips and want the quickest cruise possible. The WW is attractive because of the price but Sensenich has a great rep. Could anyone using either of these give me their thoughts?
Thanks in advance

I recently installed a 70" WW ground adjustable on my 0320/160hp -4 model. So far I am happy with it and I'm seeing an increase in speeds, but still have some final tweaking to do. I only have about two hours on it so far so unfortunately my input is limited.

I've got the Sensenich. Started at setting #4 and moved to #5. Not much difference. I cruise at 150Kts, LOP, 65% power. Prop is easy to pitch with the pins they provide. Stick them in, turn the blades until they touch the alignment pin, then tighten the hub. Blades are lightweight and are high quality. I've had to repair two small chips in the blades, but that is easy to do with cabosil and epoxy.

I recently installed a 70" WW ground adjustable on my 0320/160hp -4 model. So far I am happy with it and I'm seeing an increase in speeds, but still have some final tweaking to do. I only have about two hours on it so far so unfortunately my input is limited.

What did have before the WW?
Mik

I've got the Sensenich. Started at setting #4 and moved to #5. Not much difference. I cruise at 150Kts, LOP, 65% power. Prop is easy to pitch with the pins they provide. Stick them in, turn the blades until they touch the alignment pin, then tighten the hub. Blades are lightweight and are high quality. I've had to repair two small chips in the blades, but that is easy to do with cabosil and epoxy.

How long have you had the prop Bruce?

I've had it since new on the RV-9A - over two years and 310 hours of flying so far. IO-320 w/ 160HP.

I've had it since new on the RV-9A - over two years and 310 hours of flying so far. IO-320 w/ 160HP.

What is your WOT rpm? And what woud you say you have the pitch set for? Economy cruise? Or max speed cruise? I can only get 2450 with my current prop.

I also have the Sensenich prop on a 150HP O-320. It was on our RV-9A and is now on my RV-6A. 230hrs so far. I have flown through quite a bit of rain and the metal leading edge is helping the prop hold up quite well. I think I am on pitch pin #5, but speed was about the same between 4 and 5 IIRC. I get about 2350rpm on takeoff and cruise at about 2400-2600 depending on power setting. I do have to pull back a little bit in descent to avoid redline, but that is normal. I think it has the nicest looking blades I have seen. The Whirlwind looks really nice too, though. The pitch pins for setting pitch is a fantastic system and beat the snot out of using an angle meter. I also really like that they are all carbon fiber with the internal I-beam structure.

I also have the Sensenich prop on a 150HP O-320. It was on our RV-9A and is now on my RV-6A. 230hrs so far. I have flown through quite a bit of rain and the metal leading edge is helping the prop hold up quite well. I think I am on pitch pin #5, but speed was about the same between 4 and 5 IIRC. I get about 2350rpm on takeoff and cruise at about 2400-2600 depending on power setting. I do have to pull back a little bit in descent to avoid redline, but that is normal. I think it has the nicest looking blades I have seen. The Whirlwind looks really nice too, though. The pitch pins for setting pitch is a fantastic system and beat the snot out of using an angle meter. I also really like that they are all carbon fiber with the internal I-beam structure.

Thank you Jesse

i am in process to install the WW on my 4 with same engine, what is pitch deg ?

Michel
C-GVFR

With a digital angle finder, 76 degree pitch will get you in decent area for starters. Mine is presently at 76* and turns 2200 static and at rotation bumps up to 2300. When the weather cools some I think I'll bump it to 75* and see how that goes.

i am in process to install the WW on my 4 with same engine, what is pitch deg ?

Michel
C-GVFR

The instructions indicate a good starting point, for a -4 you might increase it by a degree to start. I ran a half degree different in summer vs. winter.

Back