What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Voltage Regulator Locations

Jcurry

Well Known Member
Hey Guys,
I am debating locations for my new VR since my original one just died at around 162 hours.
I saw an article where a builder mounted the VR in the inlet forward of the radiator. The connector exits through the top of the inlet into the engine compartment. It looks like a good install. Has anyone seen this? Your thoughts?
Has anyone installed your VR in the avionics bay?
Your thoughts on that idea?
For those of you that have mounted the VR in the cockpit under the instrument panel, has that extended your VR life?

Thank you for your time.

I haven't observed much difference in the lifespan on the original Ducati Voltage Regulator, either passenger side inside the flight deck, or outside, under the cowling near the radiator with an air tube duct feeding it. I've read about them failing from under 100 hours, to going 170-190 hours and working intermittently, before failure.

I don't think the Ducati units, which were for motorcycles, can handle the avionics amperage load constantly being pulled that the RV-12 draws, at least not with the SkyView systems. Just my opinion... and some personal observations, on 2 different RV-12s.

Here’s one datapoint: My original Ducati VR mounted forward of the firewall lasted 113 hours / 12 months. The replacement Ducati VR mounted under the avionics deck is still going strong after an additional 7+ years / 1,000+ hours.

I strongly believe the early failures are heat related and or loose blade connecters which will heat up the connection point. I've got almost 300 hours now with the VR installed inside cockpit. I carry a spare that I bought from Lockwood for around $120. I can change it out quickly since I don't need to remove the top cowl. I used a few washers to keep it off the firewall heat transfer, so far so good.

By the time I got to that point of mounting the VR in my kit #121, there had been mucho experience and discussion of failed VRs and alternate mount locations. Vans then issued a mod to mount it beneath the firewall shelf on passenger side which I did. The VR cable was just long enough and I included a generous portion of thermal paste. No hint of problem in 100 hours. And no, I am not flying nearly enough <frown>

Back