What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dedicated Pitot/Static Ports

HFS

Well Known Member
I'm sure this idea is not new - just haven't seen it here before, so -

I build in to the pitot/static system a set of dedicated ports to facilitate easy testing - for whatever reason.

On certificated airplanes I used to fly, sometimes the "tech" would create more problems than he/she was trying to solve when "breaking" into the P/S system for a test port.

Mine live in a spot convenient for access when sitting in the cockpit, without undue "gymnastics" to make the connections. Behind the panel on lower LH side.

Two, long (~5') vinyl tubes, labeled P & S with AN818-4 coupling nuts on one end, and open on the other are attached for test purposes - o/w the ports are capped off with AN929-6 cap nuts, labeled P & S so I don't forget which port is which.

Been using them on my Rocket for 20 years (BD on the 15th) & no leaks from their presence - did the test yesterday, and the longest part of the process was the leakdown waiting time.

HFS

YMMV - But this is a simple, reliable way to make this easier.

FWIW - In the photo you can see the tubing (light blue) used for plumbing the P/S system - it's 1/8" i.d. silicone fuel hose for RC models, over nylon barbed fittings, secured with mini cable ties. Light, flexible, easy to install/replace, and pretty much bullet proof from a standpoint of durability.

Attachments

• Pitot:Static Port.jpg
    Pitot:Static Port.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
Back