What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Unknown Component

Radioflyer

Well Known Member
I was looking at a -7A QB and noticed this component bolted to the floor of the fuselage around the passenger's feet area. The component protrudes through the floor and can be seen from under the fuselage with a rod end attached. What is this?

Attachments

• IMG_0139.jpg
    IMG_0139.jpg
    264.7 KB · Views: 639
  • IMG_0138red.jpg
    IMG_0138red.jpg
    353.1 KB · Views: 554
Not sure what it is but it wasn’t in either of my QB fuselages. I’ll go out on a limb and say whatever it is it’s not in the plans.

Mystery part

No idea either. Definately doesn't belong there. Any chance its a bomb drop mechanism?

Video camera base?
Muffler hangar?
Variable angle ground strap attach port?
Lidar sensor mount?
Laser cannon or torpedo hard point?

The thumbnail images made me think that it was for an antenna but looking at the larger images, it may have been a liquid waste disposal for in fight use.

Well...I guess I wasn't the only one stumped. The current owner didn't know either.
Muffler mount....? Interesting possibility. Maybe its a vibration damper that was being planned for some weird single pipe exhaust like a Powerflow?

Oops

The thumbnail images made me think that it was for an antenna but looking at the larger images, it may have been a liquid waste disposal for in fight use.
I thought about that too but point on wrong direction. Hope he never tried it.

Looking closer the thing under the belly skin looks like a CM4MS studded rod end bearing like used on flap linkage.
The thing inside on the floor looks like some sort of pillow block mount.
So the original builder must have wanted to mount something under the belly, like a muffler (or torpedo)

Maybe its a vibration damper that was being planned for some weird single pipe exhaust like a Powerflow?

That is my thought, have you determined what the thingie in the interior is??

Not a lot of detail in the photo. If it is some kind of shock mount, that would lend a bit of credit to the above thought.

The interior part looks like a shock mount. The exterior is a ball end with the ball through stud screwed into the shock mount. Probably for mounting something, as others suggested, very possibly an exhaust extension. Common in Europe for noise regulations.

Some earlier Eggenfellner Subaru power plants used this for a muffler anchor before an in cowl muffler was developed

What is it

It looks like a muffler bearing. It could be a mount for an auxiliary alternator fluid tank. If it shock mounted, you won't need crankshaft return springs.

Back