What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

D180 and Aero 6600

gblwy

Well Known Member
Has anyone with a "classic" avionics install replaced their Garmin 496 with an Aera 6600? I'm interested in what to do with the wiring.

Yours hopefully, though not optimistically...

Aera 660

Hello. My Garmin Aera 660 has a serial connection to my Efis. (GRT Sport Sx)
This allows flight plan info from the Aera to sinc over to the efis which then allows the auto pilot to fly a Nav heading. The aera is also serial connected the GTR 200 for touch frequency loading into the radio. The Aera has a setup page for the proper protocol between instruments. I believe the Dynon has the same protocol so they will connect.

Wire connections

I have a 296 (predecessor to 496) and am preparing for an Aera 660.

The wiring connection points are:

D180 EFIS D-25:
Pin 22 (yellow wire in Dynon harness) Serial 1 RX
Pin 9 (black wire in Dynon harness) Serial 1 GND

Aera 660 Bare Wire Connector:
Blue wire: Serial 1 TX
Black wire: Power GND and data GND
Red wire: Power

Connect the yellow wire to the blue wire
Connect the black wires to aircraft GND bus
Connect the red wire to 12V

The above can be verified in the D180 Installation Manual and the Aera 660 Pilots Guide, both are available for download on manufacturer websites.

I just finished this, and it was muck easier than I originally thought. Everything in the Aera660 harness gets connected to a single 9 pin connector that plugs into the back of the control panel in place of the original GPS 9-pin connector. The hardest part was figuring out how to mount the Aera 660 remote antenna on the shelf in the engine compartment. PM me your email and I’ll send you pics and the schematic.

Back