What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

NEW RV-15

Depending on how the main spar is designed, I expect the complete kit to cost between 36and 40k. And would use an O360 with c/s option.

Cruse, I would expect 130K+ without 26" Alaskan Airstreaks Tundra Tires.

Y'a know-----this dribbling out of tidbits of info is a surprisingly effective advertising campaign.

Look at how many threads/post it has generated already.

And, intentional or not, a lot of folks who were looking at S-21’s or other backcountry alternatives will now sit tight for a year waiting on Van’s new design.

Rans and a few others just took a gut punch.

And, intentional or not, a lot of folks who were looking at S-21’s or other backcountry alternatives will now sit tight for a year waiting on Van’s new design.

Rans and a few others just took a gut punch.

We don't know the size of the RV15 yet. It could be as large as the Bearhawk or the Glasstar

So since Vans disclosed the RV-15 and RV-16 a few months back, perhaps it's safe to say the RV-15 will be a 2 place, and the RV-16 be a 4 place?

RV-15

The tandem cub clone market is pretty wrung out.
Side by side is a possibility but the S-21 is already in the market.
A Cessna 180 clone that goes faster / slower would certainly be a welcome product. 40kt - 140 kt range maybe. Mike Patey's wing looks pretty heavy and complex but a similar single slat would be interesting. Vans certainly has the design and manufacturing capability. Wheel, ski and float capable. I doubt that most people are looking to land on sandbars and boulders but it would be nice to get into back country and seldom used rudimentary strips comfortably. Probably 4 and / or 6 cyl Lyc.

In my opinion, you can get most of the benefits of LE slots/slats with VG's without the weight/complexity issues.....

A single large slotted flap should be good enough, a little more complexity would be the Cessna style that give you a little more wing area, not quite a full fowler.

Drooping ailerons should be possible with some linkage magic.

Spoilerons to counteract adverse yaw when using drooping ailerons.

The tandem cub clone market is pretty wrung out.
Side by side is a possibility but the S-21 is already in the market.
A Cessna 180 clone that goes faster / slower would certainly be a welcome product. 40kt - 140 kt range maybe. Mike Patey's wing looks pretty heavy and complex but a similar single slat would be interesting. Vans certainly has the design and manufacturing capability. Wheel, ski and float capable. I doubt that most people are looking to land on sandbars and boulders but it would be nice to get into back country and seldom used rudimentary strips comfortably. Probably 4 and / or 6 cyl Lyc.

The sling high wing , Doesnt that plane pretty much match this spec. Its about 160 mph cruise 1000lbs useful load, sips fuel on 141HP turbo fadec controlled Rotax 915. 4 seater. The only thing is it takes 700ft to get off the ground when fully loaded. Its a bit expensive though

Great timing

The high wing, off road, STOL trend is not going away soon. It only makes sense for Van's to join this segment. 1) The kit will likely be superior to other offerings, 2) There is a ready market from existing Van's customers 3) There's a market for those who want such a plane and know of Van's reputation for fine kits.

Look at the interest just based on this thread. This is the only plane that could cause me to build again.

My wish list. 2 or 3 seats with lots of baggage space. Lycoming engine. Possible ability for both trike and tail dragger configurations. Speed at 140kts at least. Compatible with existing tail springs. (for obvious reasons:D:D)

Exciting times!!!

Cruise Speed

I too want to see at least 140 KTAS cruise speed. There seems to be two camps; one that wants STOL with no regard for cruise speed, others just want a high wing version of the fast Vans lineup. I'm looking for the fast cruiser. I hope Vans can appease both - maybe with some options that appeal to each camp.

As someone else mentioned, the Sling High Wing is a good performer with only a 141 hp Rotax 915 iS. They are advertising a cruise of 145 KTAS. Seems pretty good, especially for a 4 seater. The ability to use standard car gas with ethanol (without any modifications) is a big plus.

I too want to see at least 140 KTAS cruise speed. There seems to be two camps; one that wants STOL with no regard for cruise speed, others just want a high wing version of the fast Vans lineup. I'm looking for the fast cruiser. I hope Vans can appease both - maybe with some options that appeal to each camp.

As someone else mentioned, the Sling High Wing is a good performer with only a 141 hp Rotax 915 iS. They are advertising a cruise of 145 KTAS. Seems pretty good, especially for a 4 seater. The ability to use standard car gas with ethanol (without any modifications) is a big plus.

Not for purchase yet. You are reading what Sling thinks it will do. Wait and see what a customer gets out of a finished product.

If this is your direction, call Matt at ..... THE AIRPLANE FACTORY INC. 3401 Airport Drive , Torrance Ca. He is a Sling dealer.

Sling

Sling kits seem expensive to me. The sling TSI comes out more expensive than an RV10 and is really a 2+2. Much smaller inside and slower etc. The sling high wing has a fibreglass fuselage and is about $15 grand more expensive than the TSI.

I would like the RV15 to have a few engine options maybe inclusive of the 915is

Revival

As Oshkosh approaches, just curious if the team thinks we will see it at Osh this year?

Will it be a big reveal at the Vans beer garden,or just kind of show up?

Will there be ice cream too? (relates to another thread ;-)

Baited breath...

As Oshkosh approaches, just curious if the team thinks we will see it at Osh this year?

Will it be a big reveal at the Vans beer garden,or just kind of show up?

Will there be ice cream too? (relates to another thread ;-)

If they do I suspect a artists rendering on an easel with accompanying chat.
Flying prototype?
Don't think I can hold my breath that long...
:)
V/R
Smokey

Back