What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

TruTrak RV10 Autopilot problem

8MikeXray

Well Known Member
I have a TruTrak RV10 autopilot that has been working normally up until recently. The unit ground tests ok. I have made no changes to cause the malfunction I am experiencing.

In flight it displays 3000⬇️ in the SVS (selected vertical speed) window when it is engaged. The autopilot then pitches up to correct the 3000 fpm descent. I isolated the inputs to the autopilot by turning off all of the ARINC and RS-232 feeds and it still shows 3000⬇️ when engaged in a stand alone configuration. I am sure it does not do this due to any electrical signal input. If the airspeed is reduced the SVS window value reduces slightly. The 3000 fpm is the max limit for the sensors in the A/P.

The pitot/static system tests and operates normally. The EFIS altitude agrees with autopilot pressure altitude. There are no unusual vertical speed indications on the efis which shares the same pitot/static lines as they are co located close to autopilot.

This unit has 230 hrs on it and according to Bendix/King is no longer serviceable.

Does anyone out there know of a person that may have worked at TruTrak before the company was sold, that may be able to give me some technical guidance on this problem.

Also, does anyone have a TruTrak RV10 or Soccerer autopilot that I can borrow, rent, or purchase to see if the problem lies within my control head?

I think it may be a bad pitot/static sensor in the control head. I put a test set on the aircraft and brought up the airspeed and pressure altitude on the ground to simulate flight and it behaved the same.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Mike

TT AP 10 available

Hi Mike.

I can't help you with the troubleshooting, but I have a working Trutrak AP10 (RV10) that I will sell. Had it in my Lancair before an upgrade to Sorcerer, then an upgrade to GMC 507.

Includes roll and pitch servos, connectors, auto trim module. $900 shipped to you.

Gordon

Mike,

There may be a couple of things you can do / try. Shoot me an email and I’ll walk you through it. It sounds like static pressure transducer failure (either the transducer itself or a solder joint). Andrew.barker(at)honeywell.com

I have a customer's aircraft in with a Sorcerer and it is also having issues.
Mid Continent said they would look at it but not to hold out much hope.
Too bad there isn't some kind of slide in replacement for these.

Still have AP100 available

Still have my AP100 (aka AP10, RV10) autopilot available. Described in the 12/2021 message above.

AP100 is the same as Sorcerer, but without the ALT Preselect. I believe it is a slide in replacement. I had replaced this AP100 with a Sorcerer. Don't know if there are any software version issues.

Gordon

I have a customer's aircraft in with a Sorcerer and it is also having issues.
Mid Continent said they would look at it but not to hold out much hope.
Too bad there isn't some kind of slide in replacement for these.

Walt,

Shoot me an email at Andrew.Barker(at)Honeywell.com. I would be happy to help if I am able!

Walt,

Shoot me an email at Andrew.Barker(at)Honeywell.com. I would be happy to help if I am able!

Thanks Andrew, the great folks at Mid Continent have it now, they agreed to look at it to see if there was anything they could do.
If they’re not successful I’ll send you a note.

Back