What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Andair Electric Fuel Pump?

Yellow RV-7

I'm New Here
I have a RV-7 with an IO-360. I have an Andair Electric Fuel Pump model PX375.
It quit working and was only making a small sound like it was trying to turn but wasn't. I took it out and set it up on the bench and inspected it. Looked inside for any debris or anything abnormal. All looked good. I had a spare battery on the bench so I hooked it up and had the same noise. Then I took a crescent wrench and gave it a soft tap on the outside of the pump. It immediately started working normally.

Reinstalled it, checked for any leaks and went flying. Flew 2 flights and it was working fine and now it is back to doing the same thing. Not working and makes the same buzzing sound as if it is trying to turn over.

Any ideas before I spend the $1,000 on the new one? Thanks!

Andair ... grrrr.

I had a similar problem with a new version 7 pump. It stopped working and started to make electronic chirping sounds when powered up. This is what it sounded like (Apple .m4a format)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f9j6gk0kcud2r7q/Andair pump sounds.m4a?dl=0

Removed it and bench tested .. same. Gave it a good rap on the bench, and it came back to life.

This is the second issue I've had with Andair; I had version 3 pump that was making a bloody racket when was running. (you can hear it in my first engine start video .. (starts at 0:15 in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6wuyqh9ejE)

They are not answering their phone recently; email of course doesn't seem to work in their company.

Still working to get it resolved. Won't be buying another from them ... I'll have to bite the plumbing bullet and install an AFP unit. Seems like 100% happy customers there.

Last edited:
Thanks for that info. Can you send me a link to the AFP fuel pump you're referring to? I'm not familiar with that one. Thanks

Thanks for that info. Can you send me a link to the AFP fuel pump you're referring to? I'm not familiar with that one. Thanks

Sorry ... too many TLAs. AFP = Airflow Performance. Here's the link to their website:

https://airflowperformance.com/index.php/product/auxiliary-pump-assembly/

This is the pump alone; you'll need a filter and some mounting HW. I thought I saw a "kit" on the site some time ago, but can't find it now.

BTW .. Van's has this listed as a pump-only ($430) or a kit ($670)

Last edited:
Don't overlook the EFI I pump.

I had the andair pump for about 1200 hours. I had the same problem you are talking about. I sent it back to England twice. I didn't want to go down that road a third time so that's why I switched Brands to the EFII. I used the andair fuel filter with the EFII pump and it is easier to maintain the filter and much quieter. It is slightly heavier and draws a couple amps of current more. Overall, it was a great swap. I hope this helps.

:cool: CJ

I had a similar problem with a new version 7 pump. It stopped working and started to make electronic chirping sounds when powered up. This is what it sounded like (Apple .m4a format)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f9j6gk0kcud2r7q/Andair pump sounds.m4a?dl=0

Removed it and bench tested .. same. Gave it a good rap on the bench, and it came back to life.

This is the second issue I've had with Andair; I had version 3 pump that was making a bloody racket when was running. (you can hear it in my first engine start video .. (starts at 0:15 in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6wuyqh9ejE)

They are not answering their phone recently; email of course doesn't seem to work in their company.

Still working to get it resolved. Won't be buying another from them ... I'll have to bite the plumbing bullet and install an AFP unit. Seems like 100% happy customers there.

Response from Andair:

Hi Bill,

The beeping sound is usually caused when the controller cannot power the internal rotors – usually because of debris jam or rotor seize. I suspect that the inner rotors were temporally seized due to inactivity. If you’d not flown for a while or if this was first time use, the pump might have been sat idle on the shelf for a while.

I think the pump is fine for use, however, if the problem reoccurs you’re welcome to return the pump for a quick service/inspection.

Regards,

Adam Clark
Andair ltd
http://www.andair.co.uk/

I have a RV-7 with an IO-360. I have an Andair Electric Fuel Pump model PX375.
It quit working and was only making a small sound like it was trying to turn but wasn't. I took it out and set it up on the bench and inspected it. Looked inside for any debris or anything abnormal. All looked good. I had a spare battery on the bench so I hooked it up and had the same noise. Then I took a crescent wrench and gave it a soft tap on the outside of the pump. It immediately started working normally.

Reinstalled it, checked for any leaks and went flying. Flew 2 flights and it was working fine and now it is back to doing the same thing. Not working and makes the same buzzing sound as if it is trying to turn over.

Any ideas before I spend the $1,000 on the new one? Thanks!

Hi there, this is Owen from Andair.

Firstly I must apologise, I try and get to all of the emails that come to us but recently I've been having to do other duties as many of my team have been away due to this virus.
Please send me an email to [email protected] and we can go through a solution that will work best for you.
Please let me assure you that Andair, and me personally, as the designer of the pump, is committed to having a happy and satisfied customer base. With that said, please get in touch so I can get this fixed for you.
Owen

Hi there, this is Owen from Andair.

Firstly I must apologise, I try and get to all of the emails that come to us but recently I've been having to do other duties as many of my team have been away due to this virus.
Please send me an email to [email protected] and we can go through a solution that will work best for you.
Please let me assure you that Andair, and me personally, as the designer of the pump, is committed to having a happy and satisfied customer base. With that said, please get in touch so I can get this fixed for you.
Owen

Thanks Owen -- email sent your way. Thanks for reaching out on the Forums.

Back