What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Shipping Charges...

danielhv

Well Known Member
Am I understanding this correctly? So to order my -14 tail kit, it's going to be $5,600 + $800 - $1400 shipping? So like, ~$6,800 for the tail kit? I'm in Texas, so I'm guessing somewhere in the middle...

:eek:

shipping.jpg

Last edited:
I keep looking at this and I think it's right... so that plus sales tax, brings my tail kit to like, $7,546.... Dang. Only about $1800 more than I budgeted for. Might be worth flying up there, renting a pickup, and driving it back to Texas myself....

I feel old. I bought the RV-6 tail kit and a (mostly) full set of tools from a guy who advertised it in the back of trade-a-plane. Second hand kit with used tools. $600. Met the seller halfway between his house (Nashville) and mine (Atlanta) and traded a check for a pickup load of RV stuff.

This hobby is getting expensive these days... ;-)

I wouldn’t be building if I started today. I can’t afford what these kits and engines cost now. Funny - avionics seem to be same or even more affordable. Props too. But the engines and kit prices have left me behind. This will probably be my one and only. Then you add in crazy shipping charges.

I just got my 9a fuse, shipping was $870 to Michigan, so I think their shipping estimates are on the high side.

I keep looking at this and I think it's right... so that plus sales tax, brings my tail kit to like, $7,546.... Dang. Only about $1800 more than I budgeted for. Might be worth flying up there, renting a pickup, and driving it back to Texas myself....
As long as my schedule allows when my fuselage kit is ready next year, that's what I'm planning on doing.

I know fuel prices/labor are up but it shouldn't cost that much to ship. I wish Van could time it so that I could pick up a finishing kit at the same time.

FWIW RV-7 Fuselage kit, 8x4, 300lbs, delivered to Houston with liftgate, $622 plus tip. XPO logistics, great service, no damage to parts (there was slight damage to the crate). Last week.

RV-14 slow build wing kit to Illinois - $1076 via ABF.

I just paid the invoice, it should arrive early next week.

Back