What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Poll: What model RV are you building

Which model of Vans aircraft are you currently building

• RV-3

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • RV-4

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • RV-6 or RV-6A

Votes: 9 4.6%
  • RV-7 or RV-7A

Votes: 32 16.3%
  • RV-8 or RV-8A

Votes: 36 18.4%
  • RV-9 or RV-9A

Votes: 23 11.7%
  • RV-10

Votes: 30 15.3%
  • RV-12

Votes: 16 8.2%
  • RV-14 or RV-14A

Votes: 33 16.8%
  • RV-15 eventually

Votes: 9 4.6%

• Total voters

MIKE JG

Well Known Member
Which RV model are you building currently??

NOT which one did you already build. NOT which one did you buy. If you are not currently building a Vans aircraft please refrain from answering as it will skew the results.

Looking to see where the bulk of the building is these days model wise. Vans knows based on orders I'm sure.

My curiosity has the best of me right now.

I’m just 5 months in. Empennage is a couple days away from being done.

Hi Mike! I just put two and two together. It’s been a long time! Hope you are well.

Which RV model are you building currently??

NOT which one did you already build. NOT which one did you buy. If you are not currently building a Vans aircraft please refrain from answering as it will skew the results.

Looking to see where the bulk of the building is these days model wise. Vans knows based on orders I'm sure.

My curiosity has the best of me right now.

Why include "RV-15 eventually?"

Seems antithetical to the listed criteria.

Would be interesting to know how long people have been working on their kit.

I’m not sure how interesting it is, just because there are so many reasons for length of build. I’m on year 6 of my rv-14A, just because of life not because of difficulty.

RV-6A standard kit. Started in 1992 so this is year 30, with a 15 year break and other normal life priorities dictating the timeline.

Hi Mike! I just put two and two together. It’s been a long time! Hope you are well.

Small world eh? Probably walked right by you at OSH for all we know! Hope things are well at the big D. Come on back north if it ever gets too hot for you guys! :D

BTW, you're building the wrong model..... :p

Last edited:
Data

So do we know how many kits of each have been started and are in construction?

I wonder if vans can look at the builder numbers and subtract the flying ones ( or the ones that people have requested bill of sales for)and get an idea of how many kits are out there in work?

There were only 10 choices allowed in the poll...... :D

Technically isn't a Rocket an RV-8 kit....?

BTW, I'm surprised to see the RV-7/8 kits leading the pack. I would have sworn the 10/12 and 14s would be the leaders.

Last edited:
Here's the latest completed numbers per Vans. It is a bit surprising that the number is not higher for the RV-12. The RV-14 is newer so that explains the relaively low number completed.
It would be interesting to know how many kits and sub-kits Vans have sold for each model.
RV-6/6A is still ahead!

COMPLETED RVS LISTED BY MODEL
RV-3 304
RV-4 1445
RV-6/6A 2704
RV-7/7A 1906
RV-8/8A 1609
RV-9/9A 1173
RV-10 1010
RV-12/12iS 761
RV-14/14A 202

Building 3B. Going backwards now. Forward progress by end of month. Around 13 years but not slacking. Restoring cars and other airplanes. Flying my Cub regularly. 3 is complete. Engine has been run. All painting done. Interior and slider done. Really enjoy the project. 3B is a difficult project

Bob Grigsby
Los Altos Ca

Here's the latest completed numbers per Vans. It is a bit surprising that the number is not higher for the RV-12. The RV-14 is newer so that explains the relaively low number completed.
It would be interesting to know how many kits and sub-kits Vans have sold for each model.
RV-6/6A is still ahead!

COMPLETED RVS LISTED BY MODEL
RV-3 304
RV-4 1445
RV-6/6A 2704
RV-7/7A 1906
RV-8/8A 1609
RV-9/9A 1173
RV-10 1010
RV-12/12iS 761
RV-14/14A 202

Not only that, The RV6/6A was only produced for 15 years. The 7/7A is in it's 22nd year of production. There are still many 6/6A kits being worked on.

The seven has a long way to go to knock the 6 from the top.

Back