What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Capabilities for G5 based Systems, July 2019

Thanks for the info...

I currently have a G5, GMU 11, GAD 13, AP/GMC 507, and Aera 660 in my 8A. If I were to add a 460 or 470 to my existing setup, what would be required besides the GDU and the connector kit? Could the 460/470 be used as the GPS to drive the AP or would the 660 still be required? I'm still trying to wrap my head around the capabilities as I try to finalize the layout for my next upgrade.

I'm pretty happy with the capabilities I have now...what I really need is a new/better engine monitor. Any chance of a G5/GEA 24 engine monitor in the near future?

Hello Bill,

The G5/MFD w/EIS type of installation described above requires one of the GDU 450/460/470 displays.

You can always install a standalone GDU 37X MFD with single/dual G5, and it can even be a VFR navigator for the G5 autopilot (like an Aera portable), but it can't have EIS capability without the other basic G3X components.

Let us know if you have additional questions.

Thanks,
Steve

Thanks for the info...

I currently have a G5, GMU 11, GAD 13, AP/GMC 507, and Aera 660 in my 8A. If I were to add a 460 or 470 to my existing setup, what would be required besides the GDU and the connector kit? Could the 460/470 be used as the GPS to drive the AP or would the 660 still be required? I'm still trying to wrap my head around the capabilities as I try to finalize the layout for my next upgrade.

I'm pretty happy with the capabilities I have now...what I really need is a new/better engine monitor. Any chance of a G5/GEA 24 engine monitor in the near future?
Hello Bill,

Yes, you could buy a GDU 450 (7" landscape), GDU 460 (10.6" landscape), or GDU 470 (7" portrait) display and connector kit and use that for flight planning and driving your G5 based autopilot just the same as you do now with an Aera 660.

The Aera 660 has 2 serial ports to connect to devices like the G5 and GDL 5X traffic/weather receivers while the GDU 4XX displays have 5 serial ports to use for these connections, so they are even more capable than the Aera 660.

If you want to add engine monitoring to the GDU 4XX, you would need the GEA 24 with connector kit. Most of your existing engine probes could probably be re-used.

Please don't hesitate to contact us directly by email if you have specific questions.

Thanks,
Steve

Emh5DclQdFi-91Bd0YMsKo7fcZRLL8mlqMfArJckTrtLUXb1TrELojwpbCgsVcf6Zpsz0JmJQ4qmo55Cc3dADjGWXbJvT5tMqfeoJAK-zoJzkZqPCxalu8jNQd67KGNYpLDw2dLaJv0evPZEQXRfPeYE7LIVHMOgrXP1SbHkmgPs1lI9QFmd3a4jyhJMZypqW5UpqJBgqzB1cmxVo8qK5EXJrgU0wd-uGYKO8c-djjJWLXF5alGlfzTeFckUoZI2fWlNIojfJSyi7Yri9I5ehclUFKdnwMq6QPui_vDbDIg6eRpdYXp4h3NQuF2EWX097rcAZIH2Kjj_tqpuBre6gib6Ad0bqf7_3KCy1IV46cpVj1slJl9dt2Yavtp1QfOpywCPiIP-Ijyr-jffIkgbyX71mQ2Mwpnt9VnVTl19R1xDMdsyhubOWEVZ5htKO4NSPWnC3P6AyRglo70Mf2rTSi3Cvh0SaAkiLgqLyUALg69xBRceoL4W3zDPB8WhRbQpq_1yAH9sJNUll7iLCiGRVqYbz51Dlk2fy_y1xe2Hc1M1Mt_UbnuZ1VCizafJHh_g4am7xBuNvj-DVwRf8jW7ykPkhZjmciwXONPPnabUKmmVIcW7QrEZS2q5Mv9Rdq3FVKzEulc1xtliJQDDPgg4VLeVWpS1UCsjWNIJfDP0ntqhjeCx7VralCkIukn8b81ar0wDohiwpWJeRO48vvlNJF8P3Be8KiHCe5bQ1NrETc3Lo2s=w503-h831-no

Last edited:
The new GAD 13 OAT probe interface module is $495 list with a GTP 59 OAT probe and connector kit, or $149 for the bare GAD 13 without the OAT probe. Several 3rd party OAT probes are supported like the OAT probes typically installed on Garmin transponders.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve, the G5 manual calls out the use of lower-cost OAT probes from EDMO and Davtron, but these are not also called out in the G3X manual. Since both the GSU 25 (G3X AHRS) and GAD 13 (OAT interface for G5) use the GTP 59 OAT probe, then can the EDMO and Davtron OAT probes be used with the GSU 25?

Hopefully got all the part #s correct (whew).

Steve, the G5 manual calls out the use of lower-cost OAT probes from EDMO and Davtron, but these are not also called out in the G3X manual. Since both the GSU 25 (G3X AHRS) and GAD 13 (OAT interface for G5) use the GTP 59 OAT probe, then can the EDMO and Davtron OAT probes be used with the GSU 25?

Hopefully got all the part #s correct (whew).
Hello Marc,

The GSU 25 doesn't support the EDMO and Davtron probes.

Thanks,
Steve

backup/export G5 config

Hello Steve,

Do you know if your team can add a "export config" option on setup menu to export all setting to SD card ?

Regards
Eric

Last edited:
Hello Steve,

Do you know if your team can add a "export config" option on setup menu to export all setting to SD card ?

Regards
Eric
Hello Eric,

We can already export the configuration for a G3X Touch system to the SD card, but we will add it to the list of potential future features for the G5.

Thanks,
Steve

OAT Probe

I have read through all the posts. Its not mentioned. Can anyone confirm if the GAD 13 unit will work with a JPI OAT probe?

Last edited:
I have read through all the posts. Its not mentioned. Can anyone confirm if the GAD 13 unit will work with a JPI OAT probe?
Hello Mike,

Not sure if JPI makes more than one OAT probe, but we believe these are based on a type K thermocouple which is not compatible with the GAD 13.

The GAD 13 supports the Garmin GTP 59 precision RTD OAT probe, and probes using an AD590 integrated circuit such as the Davtron C307PS and EDMO 655.

Thanks,
Steve

Does anyone know if I can connect the GAD 13 with OAT probe directly to my G5 for TAS and DA, or do I have to get something like the GAD 29?

For those that have installed a single unit, it is worth getting the GAD 11 magnetometer as well?

Thanks,

I have both the GAD13 and the GMU11. I like having both and nothing else is needed to get them working (except for the temperature probe for the GAD13).

Brant, GAD13 & OAT Probe as on the above schematic works. As for adding the GMU11, define ?worth?? I love having winds aloft, major help in predicting turbulence when flying in the Alps ;)

Brant, GAD13 & OAT Probe as on the above schematic works. As for adding the GMU11, define ?worth?? I love having winds aloft, major help in predicting turbulence when flying in the Alps ;)

Worth is hard to define I suppose. Other than getting a magnetic heading and the ability to get winds aloft, I don't have a huge need for it.

Can someone point me in the right direction for a wiring diagram for the GAD 13 to a single G5? I have looked through the G5 install manual and it has very little to offer about adding a GAD 13.

Next question to those who have done it, will a G5 communicate with a Garmin 696???

Thanks.

Appendix A of the G5 installation manual shows mounting and pinout info. Hooking to the G5 is super simple, the GAD 13 connects to the CANBUS. I mounted mine in the tail at the end of the CANBUS run.

@ g3xpert (or anybody else)

My config: dual G5, Davtron OAT, GNX375, GMU11, GAD29.

We all agree that Vne on RVs is TAS. With my config I'm still left with having to monitor the displayed TAS so as not to exceed the Vne of 182 :eek:

The G5 Pilot's Guide for Non-Certified Aircraft page 11 states: The airspeed indicator can optionally be configured to display VNE adjusted for true airspeed or maximum Mach number (MMO). This is useful in aircraft where true airspeed or Mach number must be kept below a certain limit. If configured, the G5 can display VNE based on TAS or Mach in addition to IAS, which will cause the displayed value for VNE to be reduced at high altitudes. A solid red band is used between the TAS or Mach limit and the actual indicated value for VNE.
The G5 Installation Manual 8.4.4 Airspeed Configuration Page only states:
This page allows for configuration of the reference speeds. The aircraft Vspeeds can be entered using the knob on the G5.

Queries:
- did I miss something and could readily program the Vne as TAS?
- or is that feature reserved for G3X systems?
- is TAS as Vne a future update?

Thanks to all :)

I have both the GAD13 and the GMU11. I like having both and nothing else is needed to get them working (except for the temperature probe for the GAD13).

Do you happen to have link to the specific wiring diagram you used? I have not been able to find one that shows the specific wiring connections for a single G5 and GAD 13.

Thanks,

Brant, being retired I have all the time in the world to help where I can (TiC). Please check the G5 Installation Manual Rev. 5 Page 7-9 for the diagram pertaining to your install.

g3expert, I?d appreciate :)

G5 TAS Vne

@ g3xpert (or anybody else)

My config: dual G5, Davtron OAT, GNX375, GMU11, GAD29.

We all agree that Vne on RVs is TAS. With my config I'm still left with having to monitor the displayed TAS so as not to exceed the Vne of 182 :eek:

The G5 Pilot's Guide for Non-Certified Aircraft page 11 states: The airspeed indicator can optionally be configured to display VNE adjusted for true airspeed or maximum Mach number (MMO). This is useful in aircraft where true airspeed or Mach number must be kept below a certain limit. If configured, the G5 can display VNE based on TAS or Mach in addition to IAS, which will cause the displayed value for VNE to be reduced at high altitudes. A solid red band is used between the TAS or Mach limit and the actual indicated value for VNE.
The G5 Installation Manual 8.4.4 Airspeed Configuration Page only states:
This page allows for configuration of the reference speeds. The aircraft Vspeeds can be entered using the knob on the G5.

Queries:
- did I miss something and could readily program the Vne as TAS?
- or is that feature reserved for G3X systems?
- is TAS as Vne a future update?

Thanks to all :)

At the moment, this feature is 'reserved' for G5's in G3X systems. We identified this oversight a few weeks ago, you will see Vne/TAS available in a future G5 update.

Thanks,

Justin

and this why, amongst other reasons, that I would go Garmin again for my next project :cool:

Thanks Justin

We identified this oversight a few weeks ago, you will see Vne/TAS available in a future G5 update

Justin, has the update mentioned above come out? Might have missed it... thanx

While you guys are updating things, can you make it possible to keep the density altitude displayed while flying? I use it for performance testing and sure miss the feature from my dynon panel in another plane.

Back