What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Best auto ignition wire with PMAG

Bavafa

Well Known Member
I was wondering if any one has used any aftermarket/auto ignition wire with PMAG and their experience that they can share. I understand the speck for PMAG provided wire is 180 ohm per foot resistance which I couldn't find any with that spec. Would a 50 ohm wire be better?

I used MSD 8.5mm cables and was happy with the results.

I just got a bulk length, end connectors and boots and made them up to whatever length I needed. I got the connectors that go to the pMag from pMag as I was not able to find them anywhere else.

Carl

I think the coil connectors are from Ford EDIS coils. Emagair may be just as good as any other source.
I also used MSD 8.5mm wire to adapt a Bendix mag to auto plugs, using the old style "gland nut' plate that mounts to the mag. I used 90 degree MSD plug boots too.
I'm considering trying NGK resistor caps for the plug ends so I can use non-resistor 18mm plugs.

I too found the supplied leads to be well made, but I will likely go with Magnecor if I ever need replacements. They can make the leads exactly as you wish, and are of extremely high quality.

I think the coil connectors are from Ford EDIS coils. Emagair may be just as good as any other source.
I also used MSD 8.5mm wire to adapt a Bendix mag to auto plugs, using the old style "gland nut' plate that mounts to the mag. I used 90 degree MSD plug boots too.
I'm considering trying NGK resistor caps for the plug ends so I can use non-resistor 18mm plugs.

You can get 18mm resistor plugs, as well. I have been using autolite 386's with my recent EI upgrade. These are resistor plugs and they are working well for me.

Larry

Taylor Pro Race wire 10.5 mm has been on my 442 with MDS 6AL and Mallory 65K coil for over twenty years with no problems. excellent quality

I was not happy with the pre-made length of the PMag wires. After a couple of years I decided to replace them with Accel wires bought from the local AP store. The distributor ends are different so Brad sent me a pack of new ones. Very happy with my custom length wires.

Back