What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Inversion therapy

jthocker

Well Known Member
In my never ending quest to eventually replace every original part on my plane, I submit some pics of my fuel injection and inverted oil conversion on my RV8.

I began a week ago by pulling out the # 3878 carb and old gascolator, and installed an Avstar fuel injection servo.

An EFII boost pump package

New fuel flow sensor and location.

The spider

Raven system Oil Separator

Raven Oil valve

5 days later test flew after 3 straight FedEx overnight deliveries to assure I was done in time to fly to the Dominican Republic for our airshow.

Thanks to Don Rivera at Airflow Performance for supplying a 7/8 inch spacer so my filtered airbox would need no modifications to fit my cowl.

Look for my plane at Sun n Fun, I will have it uncowled to show off the Titan engine from Team AeroDynamix's new partner ECI.

Badger, I assume you pulled that carb heat muff and tube off in the picture?
That FWF is looking pretty darn good. Ready for the mirror pass.

Heat muff

Kahuna,
The muff and old carb heat door are still there. It's a temporary alternate air until I re install a new alt air kit from Vans. The door now is actuated as an anti icing tool to preclude filter icing instead of carb anti icing/ de icing.
Mirror pass work will have to wait until I install Smokey's ratchet lap belt!:D

Breather

What do you do with the oil breather from the Raven to minimize oil on the belly? I am thinking of running it to the tail like my Extra/Pitts, but some folks say just to open it up onto the exhaust. I'm told you still get some unburned oil, but it's a little cleaner.

What we do on the team is mostly dump overboard at the cowl near the exhaust stacks. Some dump directly onto the exhaust, some between them in open air. We are NOT into minimizing oil on the belly as we run so much smoke oil that our bottoms are covered anyway. I find that after a hard flight, land, put in hanger, that I get about 10 drops of oil out of the pipe from the Raven tank onto the floor, which I catch with a piece of cardboard.

Thanks, I'll probably run to the exhaust, allowing for a clear drip when parked. hopefully "gentleman" aerobatics will not blow too much oil. I found that I always lost the most oil during flights I practiced rolling turns. I am over smoke systems now, way too messy.

Back