What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Everyman's airpark living in Florida?

Seabird

Hi everyone,
My husband and I live in the beautiful, but snowy northeast. We have and RV8, as well as a seaplane. We are looking towards finding a winter home in a warmer climate. We are interested in locating something in an active aviation community in Florida (where we have family).
We are both active fliers, and also enjoy many outdoor activities. I am a runner, and Bill and I are both cyclists. We are both down to earth, and enjoy small town living where neighbors visit with each other, and help each other out from time to time.
We are looking for a home which would be comfortable, but also affordable for the average backyard GA pilot.
Any suggestions?
Thanks for your thoughts.
Barbara and Bill

Spruce Creek Fly-in

We moved here this year and enjoy it very much. If you like to fly with others, there is Gaggle Flight every Saturday morning and Beech group fly out every Wednesday and Saturday mornings. House price from low 100s to multi-million. Some people rent a few years before buying. People are very friendly here. There are a lot of RVs too.

Zillow: houses for sale

Spruce Creek Property Owner's Association Website/

Postcard_2010sm.jpg

Haller Airpark, 7FL4

If you are interested in something a little smaller than Spruce Creek, check out Haller Airpark. They have a 2600' grass strip, and have just opened a new section called Haller East with 5 acre lots.

I'm partial to Haller as most of my RV flying buddies are based there. We flew a seven ship flight today from Haller over a Veteran's Day Celebration a few miles north.

A great airpark and a great bunch of people.

+1 on Haller. It's close enough to Jacksonville for the amenities of the city but far enough away that the city doesn't impose upon the small town lifestyle. Plenty of opportunities for cycling and running either competitively or socially. It's near the St. John's River so kayaking, sailing, boating, etc. are all readily available. There is a very active EAA chapter on the field. I keep my Cessna at Haller and will base the RV there when it's finished. Haller East is under development and you can build a home and hangar to meet your needs and budget. The residents are friendly and welcoming. Stop by when you are in the area.

Spruce Creek, how does it work?

Ted ....or anyone who knows.... I can't tell from the air photo, how many of the homes have taxiway/runway access? The history looks interesting, appears to be an old military training base or something? Google didn't really help, so it would be nice to tell the story to everyone here!
( even some of us Canadians have to retire sometime, eh? :)

If you want to stop short of FL, look up Long Island Airpark (NC26). You get a nice long grass strip and a lake for your Lake.

Best of all, the people who live there are just great!

Here is a cool video.

Airpark Living

That's interesting....

I plan on retiring down south in the winter and airpark living will be something I will really like..

If you guys have any info on airpark around Fort Lauderdale, could you please post it here.

Thanks

Bruno

Ted ....or anyone who knows.... I can't tell from the air photo, how many of the homes have taxiway/runway access? The history looks interesting, appears to be an old military training base or something? Google didn't really help, so it would be nice to tell the story to everyone here!
( even some of us Canadians have to retire sometime, eh? :)

Of the approximately 1,300 homes about 700 are hangar homes/condos. Not all hangar homes have airplanes inside. There are also commercial hangars you can buy. They are not attached to a house and more expensive than a lot of homes here. There are no T-hangars. If you don't have a hangar you can tie down outside or rent a space in others people's hangar. It took me two weeks to find the hangar space I am renting. A one mile golf cart ride is perfect.

There are a lot articles written about Spruce Creek Fly-In. You can also find YouTube videos on our activities. Here is a link to one.
http://www.fly-in.com/history.html

There are quite a few Canadians here. We just had dinner with three Canadian couples a week ago. Two of them live here full time and one part time. I fly gaggle with a Canadian and a British often on Saturday mornings. There are also many other foreign nationals live here part time.

Last edited:
Hee are some wonderful airparks that my wife and I considered moving to. They are more to the middle of FL so the whole state is easy access. Check out:
Aero Acres (hard runway)-Treasure Coast Airpark (Grass runway) and to the north end of the state Cannon Creek Airpark (Hard and Grass runways) Our favorite was Aero Acres but we found the properties to be a little too pricey.

There are 3 properties (approx 2.5 acre lot + home and hangar) currently for sale in Treasure Coast Airpark ranging from $250K - $400K. There are many undeveloped lots available also. Nice grass strip.
Also check out Indian Hammock properties west of Vero Beach. It's a hunting and horse riding community with a grass strip. Much more affordable but also further from civilization.
Closer to Vero is the Indian River Aerodrome. Older established airpark. Properties seldom come up for sale. Homes styles vary from small ranch type to ostentatious castles.

ah, more reading & dreaming required....

thanks Ted, good stuff!
a friend is headed to his winter place in Florida next week...will have to tag along some time and do a full recon.

Aero Acres

I live on Aero Acres outside of Ft Pierce/ Port St Lucie. We have a 3200' X 75' paved strip, with about 110' wide grass strip right next to it. Several properties for sale, including lots. My father's estate is getting ready to put his house on the market.

some food for thought....... there are a few hangars for sale at stuart ksua. that gives you more of a choice on houses to buy. puts you closer to the water and town. good luck in your search. pm me if you need more info. a transplant from hartford ct. canal front home and airport hangar. very happy. we are always looking for more rvators. :)

Spruce Creek Fly-In

here are the main websites of information about the world's most famous Residentail Airpark

http://www.7fl6.com
http://www.SpruceCreekJournal.com

The specs are impressive: 4,000-ft paved runway, GPS approach, lights, 24-hr operation, PRIVATE AIRPORT! with a Country Club. 1350 homes total, 650 homes with attached hangars... All in a private city, with gated security invitation-only access.

... Even the cops need permission to enter.

Back