What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EFII Review Request

Capflyer

Well Known Member
Lots of posts on the EFII fuel pump but couldn't find anything on the entire EFII fuel injection & electronic ignition system. We are at the point on the RV8 project where we could easily replace the existing FI and dual mags. Engine mounting is coming up soon.

Anyone have flight experience with their system and can give a review? Thanks.

EFII

My EFII totally redundant elecronic ignition system should be here in a couple of weeks. I decided to go with dual batteries and the dual Electronic Control Units so as to avoid a single point of failure. Hopefully I can give you a report in three weeks or so on the ignition.

I also have the complete EFII system, but it will be about another three or four months before the first flight. Us EFII guys need to stay in close communication with each other and keep tabs on each others progress.
Mark

Any updates mannanj?

I was planning on going with Eagle EMS until I read that EFII has a full system too. Now I need to decide. :)

Updates

Any updates mannanj?

I was planning on going with Eagle EMS until I read that EFII has a full system too. Now I need to decide. :)

Just posted on Walkman's original thread. See that post.

I didn't change out my original fuel injection system, I just installed the Dual Redundant Electronic Ignition System. Love the ignition advance with the manifold pressure sensor and the Iridium auto plugs. So far, I think it's great!:D

Robert is great to work with, besides being an A&P he's very knowlegable about these systems and anything aviation. Like someone said on another thread, these components look like they could have been made for NASA.

EFII setup

I also have the complete EFII system, but it will be about another three or four months before the first flight. Us EFII guys need to stay in close communication with each other and keep tabs on each others progress.
Mark
Aloha folks, I'm running Roberts EFII full setup on my IO360 with dual FP
dual battery and one ECU in my -7...no issues so far great fuel burn and no starting issues when hot you just have to tweek the fuel map to your engine a bit not hard to do.
Lee

Aloha folks, I'm running Roberts EFII full setup on my IO360 with dual FP
dual battery and one ECU in my -7...no issues so far great fuel burn and no starting issues when hot you just have to tweek the fuel map to your engine a bit not hard to do.
Lee

Sounds great! How many hours do you have on the system so far? Any particulars that you can share? Keep us up to date.

EFII setup

Sounds great! How many hours do you have on the system so far? Any particulars that you can share? Keep us up to date.

I've got about 22hrs TT on it so far, i'm breaking in a Mattituck IO-360 with 9.1 pistons/ roller cam/cold air sump/ vetterman 4 to 4 pipes/ cs hartzell BA prop- these are what i'm seeing for #'s @ 2500msl with 24sqrd i'm doing 165kts TAS with a FF of 6.9 to 7.0 gph at a AFR of 12.9 to 13.2 , so far all is good, i'm waiting for the CHT's to drop down a bit more as she breaks in so i can hammer it more it's been warm temps up in NorCal these past few weeks and i'm trying to keep the DAlt below 4500' to seat the rings up.

I've got about 22hrs TT on it so far, i'm breaking in a Mattituck IO-360 with 9.1 pistons/ roller cam/cold air sump/ vetterman 4 to 4 pipes/ cs hartzell BA prop- these are what i'm seeing for #'s @ 2500msl with 24sqrd i'm doing 165kts TAS with a FF of 6.9 to 7.0 gph at a AFR of 12.9 to 13.2 , so far all is good, i'm waiting for the CHT's to drop down a bit more as she breaks in so i can hammer it more it's been warm temps up in NorCal these past few weeks and i'm trying to keep the DAlt below 4500' to seat the rings up.

Man, those sounds like some great numbers! Are you running mogas or avgas? I plan on running mogas in mine and I think that this flow-around fuel rail is the perfect setup for it and not have to worry about vapor-lock, not to mention that the AFR probe should also last a lot longer with mogas.

fuel flow on the EFII set up?

I was checking out the EFII system on the website. pretty cool.

How do you accurately measure fuel flow with the constant fuel return to the tanks? Do you need a transducer on the main feed and then one on the return substracting from the feed? would like to see pics of the set up you have. thanks.

How do you accurately measure fuel flow with the constant fuel return to the tanks? Do you need a transducer on the main feed and then one on the return substracting from the feed? would like to see pics of the set up you have. thanks.

Yep, that's exactly how you do it. Here is a couple of pictures of my setup.

http://i.imgur.com/LhbIS.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/aVYby.jpg

Bravo!

I humbly bow to your firewall and plumbing prowess! I learned a good deal from those two pics. thanks for posting.

Oh my goodness. So which fitting should I check for tightness when I have the cowl off at each oil change :). It is beautiful none the less.

Yeah, it does look kind of crazy on that firewall but it's really not all that bad. I just had to route the tubing so that everything would clear the motor mount when it was bolted up. The only thing extra is the return fuel line, and transducer. As you can see, I also added a pre-oilier and mounted the remote oil filter on the firewall along with the oil cooler. It's eazy to run out of firewall real-estate!

EFII fuel totalizer

Hi Mark, nice work.

I'm wondering if all the engine monitors or EFIS will do the calculation to display the fuel flow?

I have legacy dynon equipment and I'm just installing it now. I just assumed that I will not have fuel flow monitoring. After seeing your post I wonder if I can install it somehow and have the D-120 do the calculations?

Any thoughts would be appreciated, Terry.

Hi Mark, nice work.

I'm wondering if all the engine monitors or EFIS will do the calculation to display the fuel flow?

I have legacy dynon equipment and I'm just installing it now. I just assumed that I will not have fuel flow monitoring. After seeing your post I wonder if I can install it somehow and have the D-120 do the calculations?

Any thoughts would be appreciated, Terry.

Hi Terry, how are you?
Thank you for the compliment! As far as your setup, I really don't see why the Dynon D-120 wouldn't be able to do the calculations but I guess you'll have to contact Dynon to get the real answer to that from them. I'm installing the G3X and it'll do all of the calculation for me. I wish I had a more definitive answer for you but I think a quick call to Dynon will answer your questions. BTW, Are you running the EFII system?

fuel flow differential calc

Hi Terry, how are you?
Thank you for the compliment! As far as your setup, I really don't see why the Dynon D-120 wouldn't be able to do the calculations but I guess you'll have to contact Dynon to get the real answer to that from them.

I just installed a D120 in someone elses airplane and seem to recall a blurb about that in the installation manual. Taking a quick look and I found it under section 3 page 10 installing fuel flow for a rotax 912.

Seems like the answer is to use a Matronics return flow controller. http://www.matronics.com/fuelchec/RFC/. At $500 i'm not sure it's worth it.

Seems like it could be done a bit simpler / cheaper with a little Arduino microprocessor. But, you'd need at least *some* interest and knowledge of programming microprocessors to tackle that one!

Cheers!

the FF pickoff is from the SDS ECU -ground for the injector pulse timing
if i remember correct, no transducer needed my input comes out of the ECU an into the GRT EIS 4000 for display, then dumped over to the Cheltons also for display

Last edited:
if i remember correct, no transducer needed

I was wondering if that might be the other answer as that's how my car works. But, is it accurate?

if i remember correct, no transducer needed my input comes out of the ECU an into the GRT EIS 4000 for display, then dumped over to the Cheltons also for display

So can I do away with my "red cube" fuel flow transducers?

EFII

I just installed a D120 in someone elses airplane and seem to recall a blurb about that in the installation manual. Taking a quick look and I found it under section 3 page 10 installing fuel flow for a rotax 912.

Seems like the answer is to use a Matronics return flow controller. http://www.matronics.com/fuelchec/RFC/. At $500 i'm not sure it's worth it.

Seems like it could be done a bit simpler / cheaper with a little Arduino microprocessor. But, you'd need at least *some* interest and knowledge of programming microprocessors to tackle that one!

Cheers!

Thanks Guys, I'll read the Rotax 912 section of my install manual and figure it out. I can't see myself spending 500.00 for the feature though.

I plan to use the EFII system, but it's number 2 on the agenda right now. This is a pay as you go project and I have to buy 4 new cylinders next, then the EFII system.

I have installed a dual alternator/dual battery system in the plane as well as installing the return fuel ports in the fuel tanks.

Cheers, Terry.

monitoring fuel flow for the EFII system

I just received the following information from Robert Paisley at EFII regarding monitoring fuel flow on the EFII system:

Here is the current situation on Fuel Flow:

For Fuel Flow only (no totalizer function):
We have added programming to the ECU to display Fuel Flow on one of the Gauge pages of our programmer.
We can add this programming to existing ECUs. ECU needs to be sent to us for this upgrade.
A flow sensor is not required for this function.

For Fuel Flow plus totalizing function on your engine monitor:
Grand Rapids units can read an injector pulse directly and display Fuel Flow and totalizing functions on their equipment without the use of a flow sensor.
This connection is now provided in our harness. Older harnesses can easily be upgraded with this connection in the field.

Electronics International stand alone Fuel Flow gauges can be used with our system with two flow sensors. One sensor measures flow to the engine, one sensor measures flow returning to the tank.
The gauge is capable of making a differential measurement to determine the flow.

Other engine monitors - please check with their technical staff. Input capabilities are changing continuously.
The best situation is for the engine monitor to be able to read the width and frequency of an injector pulse and derive a flow number from that info.

fuel flow metering

For what it's worth, new(er) cars that show instantaneous gas mileage readings are picking it off the injector duty cycle. No fuel flow sensor. Done right, it's very accurate. I would expect the same accuracy with the EFII strategy.

My MGL Voyager calculates my FF off the injector wiring and is extremely accurate.

Hello everybody,
I'm trying to get the best system for my IO-375...is there anyone flying the EFII?
Common installation came with two batteries.....why not to choose dual alternator configuration and a single battery?

Thanks

EFII setup

Hello everybody,
I'm trying to get the best system for my IO-375...is there anyone flying the EFII?
Common installation came with two batteries.....why not to choose dual alternator configuration and a single battery?

Thanks

Aloha, i'm running a iO-360 setup on my flying rv-7
PM me or email me for more information
lee

Jetmech,

Would be great if you could post the info in this thread for all to see. Or is it info you'd rather keep close to the vest?

Thanks!
Russ

Back