What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

electronic Ignition with 24 Volt syst?

Ruffair

I'm New Here
I am having IO-360-A1B6D built up. It has the single drive, dual mag setup.

I want to use electronic ignition. The single hole in case for mag drive will not let me use Pmag, so other option is EFII or Lightspeed.

Other problem is I have 24 Volt system on aircraft, Main reason for 24 V is to operate the Electric motor for Landing gear. ( aircraft is Zlin)

Any ideas how to get 24v for gear, and 12v for ignition? What alternator output.
Fuel boost pump could be 12 or 24v. Prefer 12v.

Thanks, Kem

Electronic ign.

I have Robert Paisley's EFII ignition in my IO-360-A3B6D. I have his redundant system with dual everything, including battery. It is a very good, efficient system and with tuned injector nozzles from Airflow Performance, I can lean mine out to 6 to 7 gal. per hour at economy cruise.

I'm not sure, check with Robert but I'll bet he can set you up with a 24V system.

I'm sure that you'll like his set-up. It's worthwhile checking into.

Mike, thanks for the welcome..!
Radomir, Thanks for the info. I talked with LS and was recommended the "Mini Sensor" setup, Looks like they can go from 5 to 35 Volts.
Mannan, thanks, I researched the EFI's and like what I see/hear, spoke with Robert yesterday, he indicated 12 volt was all he could do. I'd really like his boost pump too, but it too is 12v. By the way, your paint job would look good on my Czech airplane..!!

Kem

Various converters are available to do the voltage conversion - a black box with 24V in and 12V out with various load capacities.
Did I misunderstand that part of your question? I recently got one for around $200, if I remember correctly.
PB

Last edited:
A large voltage regulator chip rated at the amperage needed with a big heat sink would provide needed conversion but you'd need to rig two for redundancy. If electronics ain't your thing find someone in an eaa chapter to work the details. I'm sure there are commercial units available but for maybe $20 bucks in parts you could make your own.

JbGood, and rbibb, Thanks for the input.
the 24 to 12 volt converter/regulator chip, is what I am now studying.

Because of the 24v landing gear motor I plan to hook up 2 batteries
to make 24v. And plan to use a 24v alternator, for charging and operation of the gear.

Then it looks like using some adult supervision, install some converters to step down voltage to 12v. Have a 24v bus and a12v bus for the EFII boost pump, and electric ignition, with plans to have alternate system for "essential power" in case of primary electrical failure.

Your input helps get my mind opening up to the different possibilites. Thanks..!

Kem

Last edited:
12v to 24v converter

Hi Kem,
A quick Google check brings up lots of 12V to 24V step up converters.
This would allow you to go 12V on your electrical system, alternator, battery and have the 24V only for your landing gear.

Depending on the current requirement for the landing gear, this might be the simplest solution.

Robert Paisley

Only problem with the step up approach is that it defeats the advantages of going 24v in the first place. 24v=smaller wires due to less current required= less weight, etc. stepping down for single application of 12v is better approach in my opinion.

24v or 12v

Actually, the weight of wire saved doesn't add up to much on a small plane.

I think a more important consideration is that everything you may want to put in your plane is available in 12v. Only a small subset is available in 24v.
Also, 24v gear is commonly much more expensive, including batteries and alternators.

This is why 99% of experimentals have 12v electrical systems.

Robert

H Kem,

Since you are using (2) 12v batteries in series to get 24V why don't you pick-off 12V from one of the batteries in the series by running the positive and ground wires directly from one battery to your 12V appliance?

Rocky Morrison

series batteries

Hi Rocky,
Picking the 12v off one of the batteries creates charging problems.
The lower potential battery will require charge current when the higher potential battery does not. But since the batteries are in series, both will get the same charge current. This can cause an overcharge condition in the higher potential battery which can damage the battery.

Robert

series batteries

Hi Robert,

I knew there must be a reason the obvious won't work. If there was a 12V series/parallel system through a switch for only the landing gear and the rest of the system was 12V. Any charging problems since the system would be 12V 99% of the time?

Rocky Morrison

PS Hope to be flying by end of year.

Ok. Lots of good ideas going here. Some I've been working on.

I'll have time next week to research more on those inverters to step up v's.
thanks, Kem

12/24 switching

Hi Rocky,
We will look forward to seeing your new plane overhead!

The series-parallel switching thing is an over-complication.
The simple solution is a step up converter ($100) to create the 24v for the landing gear and you're done. The rest of the plane is 12V.

Robert

OK, thanks for the discussion/ideas and thoughts.

I like the idea of keeping majority of the aircraft 12v, and
using some converter of such to step up to 24v for just the landing gear motor.

Sheessh, Why didn't I think of this,

Thanks Robert..!

Kem

Back