What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Under the surgeon's knife tomorrow.

pierre smith

Well Known Member
Mornin' guys 'n gals.

Kindly keep me in your thoughts/prayers, as I undergo right shoulder joint replacement surgery tomorrow.

Thanks,

You'll be in them Pierre. Here's to a speedy recovery and back into the cockpit.

get well soon

Get well soon. Actually, I didn't know they could replace the shoulder. Pretty amazing.

Too much yankin'-n-bankin', Pierre?:D

Best wishes on a quick recovery.

Sam

might want to request a block

I would request an interscalene block for post operative analgesia if I were having that surgery. Look it up; shoulders hurt.

Here is hoping for a speedy recovery Pierre, I too did not even know they did shoulder joint replacements.

I second the nerve block, you will wish you did it, mine was good for 24 hrs post surgery. Good luck, prayers your way!

Yep

Basically, they saw off my upper arm ball and in my case, get a pin inserted down into the bone , with a socket instead of a ball...called a reverse, and screw the ball to my shoulder. It's quite common.

I was racing an unlimited go-kart, burning nitro methane and methanol in 1980, when the guy in front of me blew up at 72 MPH (police radar) and my rear tire "climbed" over his and threw me 15' into the air and I came down on my head and shoulder. Now the chickens have come home to roost!

Best,

Pierre, you will be in our prayers.

Keeping you optimistic, my mother-in-law celebrated her 83rd birthday by going skydiving. She had shoulder replacement surgery 9 months prior to her jump.
Best to you,
David and Catherine

Of course we are all wishing you a speedy recovery. And I'm sure if there's anything you need done while you recover you will find plenty of volunteers. Now, how do we log this? Spar repair? ;)

Prayers

Got your back Pierre. I would have guessed it was from the years of yank and bank ag plane flying. Keep us posted.

Don B
RV 9 Engine Build in Progress

surgery

Pierre,

Good luck for a speedy recovery.

My Mom had it and she's a lot older and recovery for her was pretty quick.

Be well.

Good luck, and speedy recovery! I have heard that the nerve block works better than biting on the leather-covered stick, so you might consider it.

Bob

Good luck Pierre!

This sounds like a major modification. Are you going back into phase 1 afterwards?

Mandatory

That nerve block is a must have. I've had surgery on both shoulders and I had a nerve block on both. I got mine in recovery and I can tell you the pain was extreme prior to receiving the block. Luckily, both blocks lasted about 24 hours for me. It can be done before surgery. Some docs think there is less inflamation if the brain doesn't receive the pain signals during surgery. The drawback is that you lose a couple of hours on the backside. My daughter and son each had shoulder surgery (x2) and their doc used pain pumps. I don't know if they still use those or not but they did work. Either way, get something other than pain pills to get you over that first day or two. Good luck.

Yep

They did tell me during the pre-op screening that I'd be getting a "block." Augusta, Georgia, has a huge and very enviable medical group of surgeons, researchers and other supported groups. Some of the finest in the USA.

Thanks everybody for the well-wishes/prayers.

Best,

Got your 6, buddy. Prayers on the way. Best wishes on a speedy recovery!

PS...make sure they proseal the seams so you don't leak!

Make sure they are using AN hardware and not that grade 8 stuff from McMasterCarr especially since you will be charge for the top shelf stuff.

Heal quick!

More prayers for you and your medical team Pierre!

If you can post pictures of the hardware I'm sure we (the VAF we) can find some flaws and suggest improvements. :D

Carl

We will be thinking about you and praying for you

I am broadcasting a NOTAM at EAA 690 and all of your friends here will be praying for you.

Just before you go under, tell that surgeon to fly low, watch his airspeed, avoid the wires and, most of all, pay attention!

See you on the back side with your new equipment.

Good luck Buddy, although it sounds like you are in good hands. The post-op physical therapy is most critical to getting your range of motion back. Become religious about doing it.

Prayers tonight for you.

My pilot

Marshall, fortunately, I have a younger, 44 year old pilot with 17 seasons under his belt, working for me for the last 7 years.

We have Satloc GPS guidance systems in both Air Tractors, guided to 1' accuracy laterally, on each pass across the field. The work is downloadable and overlaid on Google Earth maps....customers are very satisfied of the proven 100% coverage.

Our season is just about over, the reason I scheduled surgery for now..only a little cotton acreage to be defoliated...a heavy frost will kill it and that is expected soon.

Best,

Best wishes and speedy recovery. you've got the spraying side of things covered, I bet you could find a volunteer or two to keep the -10 running...

==dave==

Yep

Best wishes and speedy recovery. you've got the spraying side of things covered, I bet you could find a volunteer or two to keep the -10 running...

==dave==

The -10 was delivered to Ray Lawrence for a condition inspection yesterday and the ADI II upgraded to the new TruTrak Vizion 385 for coupled approaches and altitude preselect. She's in good hands. BTW, the ADI II and two servo's will be sold when the new stuff is in...hasn't missed a beat in the 4 years I've had it.

Best,

Best wishes to you, Pierre. We'll be looking forward to the news of a successful surgery and a speedy rehab!

Piece of cake, Pierre!

In July 2011, I had a Total Hip Replacement. For two years before that, I had become increasingly crippled, until I couldn't even drive (or ride!) in a car - ate standing up for two years.

My surgeon said "This is completely Elective surgery - you'll be here when you can't stand the pain anymore." Boy, was he right! I couldn't sit, stand, or lie down. Well - I was a stubborn old goat. But, who wouldn't be, they wanted to cut off the biggest bone in my body. I didn't figure that was exactly "minor" surgery.

Long story - short -- after the operation, I was literally BORN AGAIN! A totally new man. I had forgotten what it was like to be "Normal" - so I went hog-wild. How hog-wild?

I went out and bought an RV-12 kit, finished it and am now pushing 100 hours after making my First Flight on April 3rd.

Yes! My hip replacement led directly into my getting back into flying and having my own airplane, after flying other people's airplanes for almost 50 years.

Good Luck, my friend - I love your stuff and PM's and know you too will be a new man after the operation. You might even go hog wild, like I did, and buy a new airplane - maybe a Gulfstream or 737 or something like that you can take all your pals for a ride in......

Bob Bogash
N737G

......threw me 15' into the air and I came down on my head...

Now we know the problem....:D

I have been meaning to get a trip report together and post the pics of you, your -10 and your "going to work aircraft". I enjoyed our brief visit and I'll be in the neighborhood for Thanksgiving. I'll give you a call..... probably not to toss the old football around though. Maybe next year....:D

Seriously, good luck on tomorrow and we will be thinking of you. Let us all know how it went when you can function with a computer again.

Prayers,

Gary

Last edited:
Back