What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ECU - Motec or AEM?

TXFlyGuy

Well Known Member
What kind of ECU is everyone running? I have been reading about Motec and AEM. In particular, the Motec M84, and the AEM Infinity.

Sorry, man, but you really need to be more specific when you ask a question. Remember, we aren't standing next to you, looking at your project. Are you asking about a rotary (most use Real World Solutions fuel/ignition controllers), Subaru (lots of choices; unlikely to find a true leader), or a variation on 'traditional' LyCoSaur?

Charlie

Sorry, man, but you really need to be more specific when you ask a question. Remember, we aren't standing next to you, looking at your project. Are you asking about a rotary (most use Real World Solutions fuel/ignition controllers), Subaru (lots of choices; unlikely to find a true leader), or a variation on 'traditional' LyCoSaur?

Charlie

The engine is a J35A4 3.5 V6 Honda. 330 hp. 3/4 scale P-51D Mustang. I post here as the RV community is responsive in many areas. The Honda Tuning Forum leans heavily towards Motec. They are the gold standard in engine management, but they are priced like gold as well!

The engine is a J35A4 3.5 V6 Honda. 330 hp. 3/4 scale P-51D Mustang. I post here as the RV community is responsive in many areas. The Honda Tuning Forum leans heavily towards Motec. They are the gold standard in engine management, but they are priced like gold as well!

For those of you contemplating the ECU question, we have decided in favor of the Infinity by AEM. Very competitive with the M800, and much less expensive. Actually better in term of overall capability.

We are working closely with the head tech at AEM in getting everything set up for our application.

A series of default settings will be programmed to allow for the engine to continue operation at near full power in the event of single or multiple sensor failures.

ECU

Check with Robert Paisley at EFII. (advertises here). He has a lot of experience with the Lycos using ECU's for his electronic ign. and fuel injection. Probably can help with the Honda as well.

Check with Robert Paisley at EFII. (advertises here). He has a lot of experience with the Lycos using ECU's for his electronic ign. and fuel injection. Probably can help with the Honda as well.

Thanks! I will contact them. Their website has a lot of good info on ECU's.

I'm not familiar with the Honda engines, but isn't that the one that is turbo-charged and can run on half of it's cylinders in cruise? The only reason I ask is that I know several folks that have had engine failures in their cars with that engine.
John

I'm not familiar with the Honda engines, but isn't that the one that is turbo-charged and can run on half of it's cylinders in cruise? The only reason I ask is that I know several folks that have had engine failures in their cars with that engine.
John

No, not turbo-charged, and not V-Tec. All cylinders fire all the time.

Back