What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

OLD GEEZER UP DATE

David-aviator

Well Known Member
Greetings,

I've been member of this forum for a while and have enjoyed the comradeship over the years. There are lots of good people here sharing a passion for flying and RV airplanes.

I am still flying. And perhaps to the delight of some old instructors with whom I've had exchanges here, have finally gotten close to 3 pointing the RV-7. :)

The tail dragger experience came late in life to me, age 75, so it was some challenge in the beginning, glad I did not wreck the RV-8.

The 7 belongs to a friend who asked me to fly it once in a while after he had open heart surgery. The RV- 8 I built at age 74 was sold to a friend about a year ago. Had this compulsion to down size, stop spending money, not knowing what was coming next after wife passed away. Flying the 7 has been a blessing, I still enjoy it.

But at this stage of life, question keeps popping up, when should one quit? Common sense says no one flies forever. And end up a statistic due to pilot ego because the envelope was inadvertently exceeded, like I can do this forever, makes no sense. Is somewhat of a dilemma making decision on this subject.

Beyond that, I've decided to get married again. I hate living alone, have reconnected with high school friend in Minnesota where I come from, will be moving back there this summer to be with her. She is widow and feels same about living alone. We go back long way to riding horses, milking cows on Minnesota farm 65 years ago as teenagers. It was not difficult getting reacquainted.

Anyway, just want to say Hi to forum, this place is great for what we are passionate about - Flying airplanes and in particular the RV's.

dd

WOW

WOW! Congratulations. Go for it. ALL of it.

I suspect that a lot of members in this forum can relate to your varied feelings.

I'm only a few years behind you, but I've had a number of surgeries to muddy the waters. I have days when I feel as sharp as ever, and some days when...

My main guideline is to treat ageing phenomena like you would treat a cold or anything else. If you've having a good day, go for it. And if you're not, don't. As I age, the proportion of great days to other days is sliding in the wrong direction.

Phenomena I observe more and more are can't concentrate as long, more easily distracted, easier to over-focus on one task, multi-tasking is slower, easier to reach for the wrong knob. Kind of the things that trouble new pilots.

Another guideline is how many hour to fly in a day. I remember flying 10 hour days in my 20s, no problem. Don't do that no more!

Better to be down, wishing you was up than up, wishing you was down.

Ed

David, it is good to hear from you. It is great to hear things are going well for you. Enjoy life buddy!!

Don't give up!

Great message David, keep at it as long as you are comfortable. I try to fly every weekend to keep the rust off, and hope to stay current by staying current!

regards
-Marc

Good to hear from you again David and the life update.

Fly until you don't feel you're mentally and physically up to it any more. My father who was in a similar era to you, hung up his headphones on his 84th birthday.

Enjoy those other things in life too. Those MN winters can be cold though...

Family friend flew solo at 95. John Miller, famous autogiro pilot from the 30's, flew solo at 99. Quite a few other examples.

Thanks for sharing, David. The thread caught my eye because it's been on my mind a LOT lately. I'm into my 60s and started my build a lot later in life than anticipated. And of course as a first time builder, my timeline is proving itself to be unrealistic. I'm still hoping to fly my creation within a year or so, and I'm hoping to get at least ten years flying it before I retire. Trying to stay in good health to make my goals. Time will tell... it always does... and it has the last word.

Congratulations David!

Great news David! Really happy to hear you are doing well. Don't forget to buy a snow blower. :D Keep us posted!

Hang in There!

Hey David, I'm traveling down the same path as you are. Lost my first wife 3 years ago to cancer and got married again one year ago. Best decision I ever made. My little wife is my inspiration for flying. I am 84 years old, Commercial, Instrument, Multi-engine and CFI and still flying routinely. My new wife and I flew our Arion Lightning to Oshkosh last Summer and we both survived the Ripen arrival. That was a mad-house on that Sunday afternoon. Also, I am about 65% complete with my RV-14A, hope to finish it in time for us to fly to Oshkosh again. She is one of the best rivet buckers around and I couldn't do some of the things on the 14 without her.

I'm going to continue flying as long as I can and I, not someone else, will decide when it's time to hang up the headset. Right now I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Hang in there, David! :D

Joe Reaves
Longview, Texas
RV-14A 65%l complete
Arion Lightning LS-1 Flying
2019 Dues paid

Congrats!

David,

Great news! I'd just advise you to avoid the winter months of Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Sep, Oct, Nov, and Dec here in Minnesota.......

Please contact us when you get here - there is a great group of RV people up here.

Thanks for the kind replies, guys.

I am involved with RV-12 build with owner of RV-7 I fly. Hangar temp is getting up to where we an go back to work. Engine is installed, we did lower cowl interior fiberglass work at his heated shop in retirement community during winter. Installed it other day, fits pretty well, need to install rubber strips at oil cooler junction and believe we an move on rest of engine install. As things are going, I may end up owner of this airplane.

From my perspective, would prefer experimental amateur built certification (EAB) instead of Vans LSA.

Have any of you gone EAB with RV-12? Seems to me it should not matter.

Thanks.

dd

Alex and Pete, I will be living in New Ulm. Nice airport, appears nearest EAA Chapter in Mankato.

Last edited:
Old folks flying

I made the first flight of my RV-4 in 1988 at age 50. Since then I have completed 4 other RV's, 6A, 9A, 7 & a 12. Now I'm in the finishing stages of a complete scratchbuilt Thatcher CX5, that I hope to test fly before fall.

I will be 81 next week.

I still fly an RV-4 that I was involved in helping a friend build, after I had built my own, that I purchased from my friend's estate after he passed in 2008. I converted it to a fastback in 2009.

I've never had any health problems so far. I walk 1 1/2 miles 6 days per week leaving the house before 5 AM and go to a local gym 5 mornings a week. So far life is good and I hope to fly for a few more years. Living at an airpark makes flying easy.

Jake Thiessen
Independence, OR

EAB-RV-12

(Quote)Have any of you gone EAB with RV-12? Seems to me it should not matter.

When Dick Van Grunsven built his personal RV-12, I believe he did it as an experimental amateur built.

Back