What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Prop and grounded.

Mel

Legacy Member
Mentor
Just received a new prop from Craig Catto for testing and this time MY timing was off.

I just had Crystalens implanted in both eyes, so I'll be grounded for a little while.

Left eye done last Tuesday and right eye today. So far everything looks good (literally!).

new Prop....and lenses, and grounded...how long?

congrats Mel, you're a brave guy...I have a phobia about getting my eyeballs sliced & diced.
how does the FAA treat this type of cataract surgery these days???

Good move Mel. Had mine done three years ago and now don't need glasses except for reading, no glasses required for my drivers or pilots licence. Best money I ever spent.

Sept 3, 2012 I had PRK done on my right eye with a well-known Surgeon at his clinic in Calgary. Slow to heal and a lot of changes during these 8 weeks before I had 20/20 uncorrected. This 8 weeks was a long 8 weeks with no flying and the best weather all summer and fall that I missed out on. But I'm ready for next year.

Left eye last Tuesday. Vision already at 20/25 and improving.

Right eye done yesterday and seems to be slightly better than the left eye at one day. I could not read the computer with the left eye at day 2. I already can with the right eye.

Believe me, I have discussed options with many people including the surgeon. My eye surgeon and my FAA Dr. were college roommates. That doesn't hurt things.

FAA wants 90 days and minimum 20/40 for the Crystalens.

So far so good.

Get well dang quick ...

...sincerest wishes for speedy recovery to get you back in the air! ...especially with that delightful new Catto prop.
I simply couldn't be more happy with my 3-blade. I had one non-builder pilot look at it and remark, "That looks more like a piece of fine artwork than a propeller."

Anyhow .... GET WELL !!!

More on the prop

Good to hear about the new eyes, now how bout some more on this new prop to test? Is it some sort of new design, or just new to you?

eyes

Good job making this decision. Other's I know have been satisified with it.

Smart plan to do it in the winter. You should be ready to fly before spring.

Appreciate your posts. God's speed for recovery.

Good to hear about the new eyes, now how bout some more on this new prop to test? Is it some sort of new design, or just new to you?

Thanks to everyone for the support. Everything still progressing very well.

The prop is "somewhat" new design for Catto. It has a new 2X Carbon layup, which is supposed to be better for the nickel leading edge and slight change to "twist".

Back