Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 03-28-2014, 12:29 AM

Default RV-9A, SoCal

Hi guys,

Possibly jumping the gun here, but I've convinced myself to start on an RV-9A QB kit?order form is filled out, and I'm phoning in my deposit on Monday.

I'm all fidgety with excitement, and am looking forward to a long, rewarding and no doubt challenging project. I'm not current with my pilot certificate, but I did my training back in '06 in a Diamond DA-20, so I hope the transition to the RV-9A won't be too difficult. Gonna go with a carbureted O-320 and a fairly basic VFR panel, for fair weather flights on nice sunny days. Need to sell the hobby car to make garage space for the hobby plane, but it ought to be sold in plenty of time to make room for the fuse and wing panels.

Is there anyone nearby (Orange County/Los Angeles) with a 9 or 9A who'd be willing to give me a ride for inspiration? Lunch on me, of course!

This forum seems like a very friendly and amazingly helpful place. I'll be asking a lot of questions, to be sure. Documenting the build really does add to the fun.

--Doug
Old 03-28-2014, 12:59 AM

Welcome to VAF!

I'm just about done with my RV-9A. Inspection and first flight coming very soon. Once I get past Phase I, hit me up for a ride. I'm fairly close by in SD county at Ramona.

You will have fun doing the build. QB kit will save you about 2 years of time. Ask lots of questions here and just using the search feature will find you about 99% of the answers.
APRS Tracking for KJ6YRP and Flying Over the Hills Blog
2021 VAF donator
EAA Tech Counselor, Pre Buys, Build assistance - canopy/tanks/fiberglass/electrical/repairs
Old 03-28-2014, 01:18 AM

Thank you, Bruce?.mighty kind of ya! Congrats on being so close to actually taking her for a spin around the pattern, and beyond. I flew into Ramona once on a training flight, and I remember it vividly?the rocky landscape and that looooong runway.

The QB kit is certainly more $$$$, but it will allow me to spend less time on construction and more time on the detail work that I really enjoy. I've built and flown lots of rc planes (including a Van's RV-9 that's my current favorite), so I figured it was time to step up to 1:1 scale!

--Doug
Old 03-28-2014, 09:07 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Default Welcome to VAF!

Doug, aboard the good ship VAF.

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 03-28-2014, 09:14 AM

Doug-

I live just down the road in Laguna Niguel. My 9A has been flying for the last 11 months, and is up at Chino. I would be happy to take you up for a demo flight. If you want, I could also stop by from time to time to put an extra set of eye's on whatever you happen to be working on at that moment.

When I started building I had not been current for about 20 years. You will have zero issues with the transition into the 9A. It's a wonderful machine to fly. Very responsive, yet easy to fly. No worries. Just a bit of transition training and you will be a champ.
First Flight: April 2013
Hobbs: 400 hours after Oshkosh 2017
www.myrv9.com
Old 03-28-2014, 09:21 AM

Default EAA member yet?

Doug,

I'd like to invite you to join us at our next EAA Chapter 92 meeting. Among other things, you can learn more about who in our immediate area have RV-9s.

We'll meet on Tuesday, Apr 1st at 6:30pm. Location is the Irvine Ranch Water District Community Room on Sand Canyon Road at the corner of Waterworks St., just north of the I-405.

Feel free to contact me through a PM if you need more info. Hope to see you there.
Emp/TC done; Wings done; Fuse kit done

"Keep flying. Malcolm Reynolds
Paid up until Aug 2022
Old 03-28-2014, 09:35 AM

Peter and John, an emphatic yes and yes! Peter, I'll PM you in a day or two and see when you might be available to fly. Thank you for your gracious offer, and the words of encouragement!!! In the meantime, I'll fly my r/c RV-9 this weekend to feed the insanity. Part of the reason I'm so sold on the RVs is that the flight envelope of the model is so satisfying and forgiving.

John, I'm all signed up with EAA already, and will attend the meeting. My work is in Lake Forest, quite close to the meeting site. Thank you for the heads-up and I'll see you there!

BTW, so nice to be on a forum where people are so cordial and polite. I've been on several car forums that've had a very nasty, nitpicky tone, so this is a breath of fresh air.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:37 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightrudder View Post
BTW, so nice to be on a forum where people are so cordial and polite.
You just made Doug's day-------maybe his whole week

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 03-28-2014, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
You just made Doug's day-------maybe his whole week
Good! I just sent him a crisp $20 bill and some slightly weathered $1s.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmccoy View Post
No worries. Just a bit of transition training and you will be a champ.
This is very premature, but I'd like to offer a slight correction: plan to get current by renting a certifed plane, then do transition training in a 9. Transition training is not meant to be currency training. For another thing, it may be cheaper. The other issue is that if you rent a -9 it will be operating under a waiver ("LODA"). At this time LODA aircraft are, generally, limited exclusively to transition training. Most FISDOs will not allow a Flight Review sign off - you'll need to do that in the certified aircraft.