Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV Ongoing Maintenance Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2011, 08:04 PM

Default Yup...

Future Aircraft Dead Engine Cause.
Repeat Offender / Race 007
Friend of the RV-1
Old 12-15-2011, 09:10 PM

If it were mine, I'd just bite the bullet now and install an AFP system with mags or EI, reliability is the name of the game in my book and I don't think you're ever going to have a very high comfort level with the Aerosance system. Another great idea that never worked out for whatever reason.
Just my 2c

EXP Aircraft Services LLC
Specializing in RV Condition Inspections, Maintenance, Avionics Upgrades
Dynamic Prop Balancing, Pitot-Static Altmeter/Transponder Certification
FAA Certified Repair Station, AP/IA/FCC GROL, EAA Technical Counselor
Authorized Garmin G3X Dealer/Installer
RV7A built 2004, 2000+ hrs, New Titan IO-370, Bendix Mags, MTV-9 prop
Website: ExpAircraft.com, Email: walt@expaircraft.com, Cell: 972-746-5154
Old 12-15-2011, 09:47 PM

I had a dead plug in one cylinder one time and it gave a rough engine with back fires. If you lose egt on one cylinder when you do a mag check, that could be your problem.

I'm running an io360 and the only way I can get to 5.5 gallons per hour is lean the **** out of it.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:14 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Posted for a buddy.

"Food for thought.
I have found more problems with dirty injectors than anything. On my 4 I had a mag drop, had the mags rebuilt, had the injection servo rebuilt, flow tested and the spider overhauled. It was a piece of **** that looked like a hair in one of the injectors. Sense I have pulled all the injectors prior to first start, turned the boost pump on and let fuel flow into rags a the end of the injection lines, then looked through the injectors, and blew them out with air. Dirty injectors do all kinds of goofy things and all different RPM's, it's a simple task, lets start with the simple stuff first and not get to technical, it's expensive. What is an "OF-320?", I had an IO-320 with a Bendix injection.

Merry Xmas"

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 12-16-2011, 05:49 AM

Just an FYI, the "OF" designates the FADEC system, there are absolutely zero similarities between the Aerosance FADEC and a regular FI/IGN system.

EXP Aircraft Services LLC
Specializing in RV Condition Inspections, Maintenance, Avionics Upgrades
Dynamic Prop Balancing, Pitot-Static Altmeter/Transponder Certification
FAA Certified Repair Station, AP/IA/FCC GROL, EAA Technical Counselor
Authorized Garmin G3X Dealer/Installer
RV7A built 2004, 2000+ hrs, New Titan IO-370, Bendix Mags, MTV-9 prop
Website: ExpAircraft.com, Email: walt@expaircraft.com, Cell: 972-746-5154

Last edited by Walt : 12-16-2011 at 06:07 AM.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:56 PM

What is your fuel pressure? I had a very similar problem with my IO-360 prior to first flight. After talking to Lycoming Tech Support, he said it must be a leaky fitting in front of the fuel boost pump. I complained that there were were no leaks there, but he said not to expect leaks since the fuel system was "sucking" fuel rather than moving it upstream under pressure. I redid all the aluminum fuel lines from the selector to the boost pump, and it fixed the problem.

-John Banister
2017 Dues Paid
Old 12-16-2011, 02:23 PM

Fuel pressure is pretty constant at 42. This is a high pressure system, another FADEC trait.
Old 12-16-2011, 02:37 PM

I would look very close at #3 cylinder. Its posted EGT was very low. I believe it is on the lean side of peak which will cause hesitation and miss along with low power. Possible culpret would be an intake tube leak either at the sump or cylinder. Also look at the injector on #3 for blockage....clean the injector for good measure. I want to qualify this by saying I know nothing about the FADEC system you are using.
Dave Swift Driver....and A&P
Old 12-16-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
Nigel,
I'll have to get up to speed on the Aerosance FADEC system as yours is the first one I've encountered. If you have the manual in PDF send me a copy and I'll have a look at it, then we'll go from there.
Walt
Walt, didn't I send you a pdf copy of the Aerosance FADEC manual??? Maybe not, I sent so many out that I could be wrong. I no longer have the manual on my computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
If it were mine, I'd just bite the bullet now and install an AFP system with mags or EI, reliability is the name of the game in my book and I don't think you're ever going to have a very high comfort level with the Aerosance system. Another great idea that never worked out for whatever reason.
Just my 2c
Nigel,

After experiencing a major inflight fault with my FADEC system, I did exactly what Walt recommended. I installed an AFP system with Slick mags. However, don't throw in the towel yet. The folks at TCM are still giving limited technical support to Aerosance FADEC Systems. Give them a call. If you have the fault codes they can analyze the fault.

You also mentioned that you changed the injectors. They are a very fragile component extremely suseptible to FOD. They can only be cleaned by the factory in essentially sterile conditions. It is very easy to contaminate an injector during installation.

Also ensure that the electro-magnets that slip over each injector body is properly seated and torqued. Also check the continuity of those wires leading to the magnets.

Good Luck,
Dues contributor since 2007

Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make all of them yourself...Anonymous
Old 12-16-2011, 03:39 PM

I had similar problems with Aerosance FADEC on my engine run on a dyno. After a couple of tries by changing injectors and fuel pressures I removed the FADEC and fitted AP fuel injection and Plasma III ignition systems. Not sorry I did that. I think what you describe is common problem with Aerosance Fadec system.
A freind of mine here in Oz is running that system and it was not until he changed the computers that it ran in an acceptable manner. Even now every now and then in flight, he will have to re-boot one/both of the computers because a fault light shows up or starts running rough or fuel flow goes UP.
Even when running ok the fuel burn is much higher than non FADEC aircraft.

This is only my opinion, but get rid of the Fadec now. You will save yourself a lot of trouble and heartache