What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pneumatic squeezer

pitmiha

I'm New Here
Hello, I'm at the beginning of building a RV12 and I see problems with my hand squeezer. So I will order the ATS PRO PNEUMATIC "C" SQUEEZER KIT. Can anyone recommend this kit. I hope this squeezer operates the 1/8" shaft rivets on my RV12 kit without problems.

Hi Peter,

Welcome!

Unless I misunderstand you, I don't think that a rivet squeezer is what you will need. I think you should be looking for a pneumatic rivet puller. The squeezer is used for standard solid rivets. The puller is for pulled or "blind" rivets like those used primarily on the RV-12.

For instance, here is a link to a blind rivet puller that ATS sells.

In the U.S., one can get much cheaper blind rivet pullers, but for an RV-12, that has many thousands of pulled rivets, maybe the ATS puller is a better quality? I'm not sure about that.

Blind riveters is no problem, You can get it in Germany without problems and I have one with pneumatic operation. For the RV12 there are also need for solid rivets, in my actual case AN470AD4-5.

Ah, OK, sorry for my misunderstanding. When you mentioned 1/8" shaft rivets, I assumed you meant blind rivets.

I have a pneumatic squeezer like the ATS one you referenced, and it works great for me, however, I can't say much about the ATS one as I don't have it.

Sorry for muddying the waters.

Good luck with your build!

You may want to try the Cleveland Tools "Main Squeeze". I was having lots of trouble with the 1/8" solid rivets until I borrowed one of the Main Squeeze hand squeezers from a local EAA chapter member. All the rivets I set with it were acceptable where about 75% with my generic squeezer were bad. A pneumatic squeezer comes with a number of usage issues that many builders seem to avoid by preferring the Main Squeeze. I will be buying my own before I order the wing kit.

I found the Cleaveland Tools "Main Squeeze" to be invaluable during my RV-12 build. It is somewhat pricey but does an excellent job and significantly reduces stress on your hands. I have a number of other less capable AN rivet squeezers in my shop drawer that now lie unused. IMHO you do not need a pneumatic AN rivet squeezer for an RV-12 build -- such a tool is fun and useful to add to your tool collection but it is overkill for the few AN rivets used in the RV-12.

https://www.cleavelandtool.com/collections/all/the-main-squeeze

Last edited:
Thanks for the postings.

As the intended squeezer kit was not available, I changed my order to the ATS rivet pistole 3X. It is cheap enough, I think. And there are some solid rivets in the RV12. As the pistole arrived yesterday, I tried to connect to the pressure hose. It does not fit. Obviously we have in Germany a different system.
pressure_conn.jpg

The Hazet pop rivet pistole on the picture has the right fitting.
Had anyone the same problem or a solution?

Yes, this was what I did. Adapter was the wrong word. I unmounted the part from an unused duster and put it on the rivet pistol. In our regional shops I did not find this part with the right thread.

I suggest you swap your arrangement and put a 2 metre tail of pipe on the tool before the male fitting. Here in Europe, well, there in Europe - you will be on PCL fitting rather than the US version shown. By putting the 2 metre tail on the tool, it makes it lighter and helps with access etc.

You could also put a swivel fitting onto the tool, then a 2 metre tail if you want even more flexibility.

PM with an email or mobile if you are Whatsapp and I will send photos/videos.

Mike

+44 07802 977505

Back