Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2020, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTurner View Post
I don’t think so. Since both airplanes cruise nearly the same speed on the same power, their drag must be comparable too. To descend at faster than 200 knots true, the Commanche will need a steeper angle of descent. Which means it can’t start the descent until later. So while the -10 is coming down at 200 ktas the Commanche is still cruising at 160, then, finally making a very steep and fast descent. Figure in a higher climb rate (-10 has a higher power to weight ratio) and slightly faster cruise, and I think the -10 driver will get the car. Would make for an interesting fly-off, tie down to tie down.
I don't think that's how it works. . Start your descent to accommodate 500 fpm for comfort, just don't pull the power back until you are approaching red line (if smooth air) or top of the green if it's expected to get bumpy. Enrichen the mixture as you get lower to keep the same EGT. No need to start a later descent than the RV-10. If you have a tail wind, I'll hold out for 750 to 1000fpm, depending if the other people may have ear clearing issues. You just have to pull the power back further.
RV-8 empenage finished 10-2020

Wings Started.. 11-2020
Old 09-17-2020, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltruda View Post
I don't think that's how it works. . Start your descent to accommodate 500 fpm for comfort, just don't pull the power back until you are approaching red line (if smooth air) or top of the green if it's expected to get bumpy. Enrichen the mixture as you get lower to keep the same EGT. No need to start a later descent than the RV-10. If you have a tail wind, I'll hold out for 750 to 1000fpm, depending if the other people may have ear clearing issues. You just have to pull the power back further.
I think you misunderstood the thread. It’s about ‘racing’. Agreed, to get these kind of airspeeds you’d be seeing very uncomfortable descent rates.
Old 09-18-2020, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubbat View Post
Bob, how long have you had the 260b? I thought you were restoring a 250.
The 1965 260 I had was a screamer as well. Sorry to let it go but the Star is a jealous mistress.
I bought it in Feb. of this year. 250 restore is a back burner project.

Please don't PM me! Email only!

Bob Japundza CFII A&PIA
N9187P PA-24-260B Comanche, flying
N678X F1 Rocket, under const.
N244BJ RV-6 "victim of SNF tornado" 1200+ hrs, rebuilding
N8155F C150 flying
N7925P PA-24-250 Comanche, restoring
Not a thing I own is stock.