- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 08-14-2018, 06:16 AM

Default Is it possible...

To have the build quality of an RV7a be unairworthy? I have been talking with someone trying to sell an RV7a. He is claiming that "7's were prepunched so the quality of the finished product is far more consistent".

I wish the plane was closer so I can look at it in person, but from the pics it looks very rough and I wonder about the flying characteristics. It has a few issues and I would need to fly it home. Anyone know more about an aircraft in Oregon - N2887A ?

Old 08-14-2018, 06:35 AM
Moderator/Tech Counselor

Sorry to say this but that plane does not display any pride in workmanship. NASTY!

Roberta
Ford Expedition and TRICE "Q"
Built Glen L "ZIP" Classic Outboard Runabout and Super Spartan Hydroplane
Glen L Torpedo
Porsche Boxster 718
Old 08-14-2018, 06:37 AM

Sure, it's possible. But it's also possible to build a really ugly plane that is perfectly safe and flies great. You should have seen the ragged old Luscombe that taught me to fly. :-)

There are lots of RV builders in the NW. Have you tried to find someone who's close & is willing to go see and fly the plane with the seller? You can tell a lot (not everything; but a lot) with a flashlight and a mirror. If the rivets look well formed, with just some cosmetic issues like 'smileys' here and there, and if flies well, it might be worth pursuing and having someone familiar with RV annual inspections take a closer look.
Old 08-14-2018, 06:44 AM

This really scared me, I'd hate to have the canopy blow off when you need it most. I am new to the Van's family, just looking to buy a project to finish, but wondered if this plane needed more than starting from scratch.

Old 08-14-2018, 06:54 AM

First, it is VERY possible for an RV to be unairworthy for a million reasons. I think of three categories of issues that could come up:
Airframe issues- these are design issues and usually covered by service bulletins, such as the elevator spar cracks, and cracks in the rear spar at the aileron attach bolts that have developed on some rv?s.

Systems issues- most experimental accidents seem related to these kinds of issues because the systems are what keep your propeller turning. Think of fuel starvation due to clogged lines, etc. Electrical problems would fall here too. I think the lack of manufacturer guidance leads to a wide array of levels of quality and correctness when it comes to these systems. Many of these issues show up early on and even on first flights, so they may not be as big an issue on an older plane. On a plane with many years/hours, maintenance of the systems will be the thing to look for.

Build quality issues- this third category is probably the one you should be wary of with this plane. It looks really rough! It isn?t always true that looks tell the whole story. There are great paint jobs out there covering up bad riveting jobs. Yet it?s usually true that sloppiness in one area indicates a builders motivation/ work ethic that might expand to others. Loose bolts in the control system, counterbalance weights coming loose, cracks from inadequately prepared surfaces, and other issues like these are very real causes of accidents.

No one can look at one fuzzy picture and tell whether a plane is airworthy, but I wouldn?t get into this one (or the one I?m building now for that matter) without a looooooooong inspection with someone very familiar with RV?s.
Old 08-14-2018, 06:54 AM

The registration expired in April. The owner's not even keeping that up. Move on.

John Siebold
Old 08-14-2018, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV7ator View Post
The registration expired in April. The owner's not even keeping that up. Move on.
John Siebold
I also appears that the airworthiness was issued in error. Looks like the airworthiness certificate was issued under "Kit Built", 21.191(h). It should be under "Amateur-Built", 21.191(g).
USAF Vet, High School E-LSA Project Mentor.
RV-6 Flying since 1993 (sold)
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>
Old 08-14-2018, 08:11 AM
Super Moderator

Yes, have someone who is qualified to look at it closely. I've inspected quite a few "prepunched" ones that were pretty bad, including one RV-10 that was basically scrap.

Vic

Built RV-4, RV-6, 2-RV-10's, RV-7A, RV-8, Prescott Pusher, Kitfox Model II, Kitfox Speedster, Kitfox 7 Super Sport, Just Superstol, DAR, A&P/IA, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor, CFII-ASMEL/ASES/RW
Kitplanes "Unairworthy" "Diagnostics" monthly feature
EAA Sport Aviation "Checkpoints" monthly column
Author "Pre-Buy Guide for Amateur-Built Aircraft" & "Are your Nuts Tight?"
www.Baselegaviation.com
Old 08-14-2018, 08:44 AM

Speak with Danny Stark at Twin Oaks aircraft maintenance, Hillsboro OR.
Not Bob Stark, Danny.

He has looked over this plane.
Private pilot, ASEL!
EAA 105 Chapter 7S3
Bi-annual financial contributor

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." Teddy Roosevelt
Old 08-14-2018, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic syracuse View Post
Yes, have someone who is qualified to look at it closely. I've inspected quite a few "prepunched" ones that were pretty bad, including one RV-10 that was basically scrap.

Vic
What made the RV010 so bad?