- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 12-08-2017, 07:48 AM

Default Ipad/Android?

I know this question has surfaced before but technology changes rapidly and hard to keep up sometimes. Looking for latest & greatest idea for a GPS backup.

Currently use an IPhone 6 and/or an IPad Mini 4 running Garmin Pilot for cross country flying. I love Garmin Pilot but not a big fan of the IPhone/IPad Mini screen brightness. On a sunny day they are pretty much worthless in the RV-4 (except for music). Cloudy days or night flying it's wonderful but since most of my flying is on sunny days I'd like a better display.

I do like the small size of the Mini so don't want anything bigger than that. Have read inputs about using Android type devices with great screens but don't know what kind of software is available for them (Garmin Pilot, Foreflight etc).

Suggestions?

To help out (Alex has an RV-6 in Ukraine):
http://www.rv8.ch/help-people-in-ukraine/
Old 12-08-2017, 07:58 AM

In the past the Android version of GarminPilot always seemed to be a few steps behind the Apple version, but still worked just fine. I'm a fan of Samsung Galaxy Tabs although my current device is an iPad Mini.

As for screen brightness, not sure any of the Androids will be that much better in the cockpit in direct sunlight. Hopefully someone will real world experience will chime in.
WAR EAGLE!
Old 12-08-2017, 08:01 AM

Thumbs up Nexus 7 in my -4

I use a Nexus 7 in my -4. I have a small Ipaq based GPS on my panel that I use for general purpose, but rely on my Nexus 7 with free AVARE app for travel. It has outstandingly bright screen (important in a -4 where there is little shade) and it is very easy to make on the go changes. I have a very simple leg strap with velcro to stick it on my lap. No external antenna needed and 3D altitude is very accurate.
Old 12-08-2017, 05:47 PM

For a backup to my Dynon Skyview, I fly with one of the newer ipad pros with FlyQ and a home brew raspberry pi GPS/ADS-B really like it. No real problems in the sun.
New Superior IO-360-B1AC2 w/Hartzell Composite CS
RV8 - #83313 - Under Construction (sort of!)
Old 12-08-2017, 06:11 PM

+1 for Nexus 7. I've used both the original & 2nd gen (2013) versions, and both work great in my -4. Screen visibility is fine, and GPS reception is good, too. App of choice is Avare for me, as well. Don't do enough cross country to need the elaborate flight planning of Foreflight.

BTW, you can get ADS-B data streams into a N-7 hardwired directly from the same SDR used in the Stratux, but without the pi.

Charlie
Old 12-08-2017, 07:01 PM

It's been Garmin Pilot running on a Nexus 7 since 2013 for me. I bought a Garmin GDL-39 for wx and traffic last summer. I fly a -9A.
Old 12-08-2017, 07:25 PM

Galaxy Tab S2, 8?. Readable in a bright sunlit cockpit, fits the same mounts as an iPad Mini gen 1-3. Fast, good internal GPS.

Omaha, NE
RV-12 # 222 N980KM "Screamin' Canary" (bought flying)
Fisher Celebrity (under construction)
Previous RV-7 project (sold)
Old 12-09-2017, 12:39 AM

Default Android

One more vote for Android.

I have some Samsung Galaxy Tab's and I like those. Biggest reason for me is the more open ecosystem compared to iOS.

And if you are planning to use your devices for any home automation / smart home gadgets I have just good experiences with Android devices and Apps. I like that I can do lot of things by saying "Alexa ....." or "OK Google .....". I feel that it listen better than my wife. Or it might be just the response time, milliseconds vs. 2 min later I hear "what did you say".
Old 12-09-2017, 02:16 AM

Default Android

Another vote for Android, samsung galaxy using AVARE. For a free app it does everything I need. I also like to use Flight plan go when checking weather but I think AVARE is much more user friendly
RV3
Old 12-09-2017, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyolson View Post
How do I know if a Galaxy S2 has a built in GPS?
They all do, as far as I know. Mine is wifi only and has GPS.

Omaha, NE
RV-12 # 222 N980KM "Screamin' Canary" (bought flying)
Fisher Celebrity (under construction)
Previous RV-7 project (sold)