- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:15 AM

Default Flush rivet sets

What are you guys using for flush rivet sets? I've got a pretty large diameter set, and I'm having problems with it chattering, moving away from the head of the rivet and denting the skin a little on my horizontal stab. I know a lot of this is from inexperience, and my technique will improve over time.

My set doesn't have the rubber guard around the outside. Is this recommended? I'm taping up the set's face with blue painter's tape, and this seems to help a little, both in protecting the aluminum skin and reducing the "walking" tendency. Also, as a do more, I've developed a better trigger finger, so when the set does begin to move on the surface, I'm quicker to stop so the denting is minimized.

Thanks for any/ all input.
Donation made for 2021
You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky -- Amelia Earhart
Old 04-30-2014, 09:28 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

You may be using too high of an air pressure---------this causes unwanted bouncing.

Try setting a few rivets on some scrap, and using various air pressure settings.

Good luck.

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 04-30-2014, 09:46 AM

I'm with Mike on this one. For me 40-45 psi feels good for 3/32 rivets and 60 for 1/8. I also go in 2-3 short bursts to keep the walking to a min.
Pazmany PL-1 N2029 (bought & sold)
RV7 - N537TC (reserved & building)
Emp, Wings & Fuse done - working on FWF

"The air is an extremely dangerous, jealous and exacting mistress. Once under the spell most lovers are faithful to the end, which is not always old age." - Winston Churchill
Old 04-30-2014, 09:48 AM

Thanks. I've got the pressure dialed down pretty low?will try the short burst method.
Donation made for 2021
You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky -- Amelia Earhart
Old 04-30-2014, 09:51 AM

The flush set shouldn't be bouncing around. Hold it firmly and like Mike said, you probably have too much air pressure. If this is a 3X gun, here is a chart of pressures to use.

My best suggestion is to buy some 3M heavy duty clear packing tape from your nearest Staples. Cut about a 3-4 inch piece. Fold over one edge so you have a tab to pick it off the surface you lay it on. Use this as "rivet tape" over the flush heads of the rivets you are bucking. It keeps the rivet in place, and protects the surface of the aluminum skin from the steel of the flush rivet set. This third hand makes it much easier to work the rivet gun and bucking bar together without worrying about knocking out the rivets as you shoot. As you have probably found out, sneaking up on the trigger gently gets the rivet shank to expand and hold on to the hole, then as you continue pulling the trigger the gun will produce the necessary hard hits to fully set the rivet.
APRS Tracking for KJ6YRP and Flying Over the Hills Blog
2021 VAF donator
EAA Tech Counselor, Pre Buys, Build assistance - canopy/tanks/fiberglass/electrical/repairs
Old 04-30-2014, 09:51 AM

I am with Mike and Carlos that the air may be too high.
I actually used more like 30# for the 3/32" rivets.
I also learned from a pro that to don't pull the trigger. It is like shooting a gun, you squeeze the trigger. Bring in the speed slowly like a variable speed drill. If the set is walking you are not holding it perpendicular.
Catto three blade prop
http://www.mykitlog.com/MarkW
Old 04-30-2014, 10:07 AM

Great, guys. Wonderful suggestions. I'll get some of that packing tape on the way home, and be extra-mindful about the pressures.
Donation made for 2021
Old 04-30-2014, 10:33 AM

Interesting thread! I've encountered similar problems on my wing skins. I've had excellent results using a large diameter mushroom set with the rubber ring from Cleaveland, despite their reluctance to recommend it. I think maybe it just covers up poor technique and inexperience, though. The results are good. I think while waiting for my fuse kit I'll do some more practicing and see if I can't get a good solution. I need to add a good pressure regulator at the bench so maybe I can find the right pressure and the right technique.

Omaha, NE
RV-12 # 222 N980KM "Screamin' Canary" (bought flying)
Fisher Celebrity (under construction)
Previous RV-7 project (sold)
Old 04-30-2014, 11:05 AM

it may take a few thousand rivets to learn this, but listen when you rivet. the rivet makes a low to high sound[sort of a screech] as it is squeezed. hitting it beyond the high pitch is just flattening it too much. also, too light of pressure will require hitting the rivet too many times, which can make it not seat perfectly.
2014 - PAID
Old 04-30-2014, 11:06 AM

I set my 3x rivet gun by sound and feel while hammering it against a price of wood. There's an EAA home builder video online that's pretty good info on flush riveting. I insert a rivet, cover it with a small post-it, then hold the gun firm and square against the skin before pulling the trigger. I got the best results when I consciously think that I'm going to hold the flush face firm and square to the skin before pulling the trigger, and continue holding it there until after I have let go of the trigger. Then lift. I think most my dings came from lifting the rivet gun off of the surface of the skin a split second before it completely stopped hammering, if that makes sense.