What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Position Fire Extinguisher

mine is in front of my seat under my right leg. it is my second one and saved my plane in a airbox fire that spread to the cowl.

Originally had mine behind the passenger seat that I could reach easily. After a few years I realized it might be better if me or the passenger could easily reach it so moved it to between the seats monubted to the front of the electrical flap actuation support angle. mounting it low keeps it from being in the way for your elbow. Of course in a RV-8 it will be different.

Mount

I mounted mine vertically on the front side of the fuel selector cover of my -6, easily reached by pilot and passenger.

How I did mine..7A

N502CFbookphotos219.jpg

N502CFbookphotos213.jpg

Just mounted mine under the flap handle between the seats. It fits nicely there, is within easy reach and out of the way, but I may have to pull one notch of flaps to get it out. Is this an acceptable compromise?

Mine is mounted on the center cabin cover, forward of the FI pump/filter assembly. VERY accessible to both pilot and pass.

Halon

I believe in a Halon unit between the seats on my -6 and -7 as Walt's photo.

Accessable to the pilot and passenger, in flight.

I mounted mine on the PAX seat back. It is easy for me to reach but not the PAX. Typically the PAX would not know what to do with it anyway.

I stole the idea from Bill "Popeye" Flaherty years ago when he had an RV-6.

527F1431-C727-489D-82C9-AE95C7884D6A-790-000000490D33A42E.jpg

Rv-8 fire extinguisher location

Does anyone have any suggestion for mounting a fire extinguisher in an RV-8 cockpit?
Thanks,
Brian

Back