What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hangar Lease Rental Agreement Liability Release

crabandy

Well Known Member
I recieved a letter/rental agreement from the city's laywer due to a change in the airport management. Instead of a laid back month to month rental it's going to be "official."

My one concern is the paragraph that "tennant will release the city and all it's employees and FBO employees from any and all liability from any action."
Is this statement in most hanger leases? I have heard of city employees damaging airplanes while maintaing hangers, plowing etc. They also have keys to access the hanger unsupervised and was wondering if this is standard practice.

Thanks,
Andy

No liability release statement signed today protects you from gross negligence later. Sign it and make the lawyer feel like he has earned his retainer.

If they hit your plane with a plow or something, I don't believe that statement will mean anything, but as in all things written and signed, had a lawyer take a glance at it.

That statement ...

...or an indemnification clause seem to de rigeur for hangar lease agreements these days. I know it's in my BMI agreement, and I know the folks at CMI have a similar clause in their LA.

Liability

As Larry wrote:
"No liability release statement signed today protects you from gross negligence later."

Also, many contracts require insurance with the airport owner named. This will cost you more than when it is not required.

I have been told by an attorney that Liability Release Waivers are only a fence to jump over in an actual lawsuit. They don't actually protect against anything big. Just the small petty stuff.

You should always have an attorney review contract prior to entering.

Also, many contracts require insurance with the airport owner named. This will cost you more than when it is not required.

A policy endorsement listing the airport sponsor as "Additional Insured - Government Authority", and delivering a certificate to the sponsor did not generate an additional charge with Global.

A policy endorsement listing the airport sponsor as "Additional Insured - Government Authority", and delivering a certificate to the sponsor did not generate an additional charge with Global.

...or with AGI...

We require it at our Airpark and no-one has ever mentioned an extra cost.

If you want a "waiver of subrogation" for the additional insured that will be an extra charge. I paid $100 for that one year when I was renting space from a guy and his hangar was directly attached to his home. His home insurance company wanted the waiver.

Just adding him as an additional insured, or the County after I moved, didn't result in an additional charge.

Back