What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7 RVBits Plenum

AltonD

Well Known Member
I got mine today, all the way from South Africa.

RV7A648.jpg

RV7A649.jpg

RV7A650.jpg

It will be awhile before I install. I am having too much fun right now to take the plane down for the upgrade.

http://rvbits.mybigcommerce.com/rv7-carbon-plenum/

Last edited:
Alton,

Sweet plenum! If you don't mind, what kind of cost was it to get that shipped into the USA? Any customs or duties, etc.?

Thanks,

Install pictures please!

Alton,
Looks awesome! I have been talking to Jan about one for my 6A. Can you take some photos and notes during the install? I am very curious on how easy/difficult it is.

Thanks,

Dan

Shipping was $50. I will take some pics during the install.
I went ahead and bought a new baffle kit.

Alton,

I looked for an e-mail for RVBits.com, but didn't see one. I wonder if this plenum is universal in regard to brand of fuel injection, oil cooler, prop governor, etc. I expect some trimming to take place, but don't know of possible "gotchas" that make this unit a no-go part. I plan to purchase an IO-375 from AeroSport with vertical induction. Sure looks like a nice addition.

Thanks,

Sean,

My email comms with Jan came back on this address: webmaster @ rvbits . com

Last edited:
Hi Alton
Please let me know how you get on with this as my 7 has just arrived and will be finished around July 2012. I am considering this plenum and would be very interested to hear how the installation goes and performance it brings to cooling etc

Regards from a hot and humid Cape Town

Paul

Thanks Alton!
There is a "contact" form at www.rvbits.com
Otherwise as suggested please use webmaster "at" rvbits.com

Dean - I have replied to your e-mail the best I can.

Paul - seeing that you are in the RSA you can phone Deon on 082 seven seven three 5135 for his opinion. The first one was fitted on his RV7A, ZU-EXI. We drilled out all the rivets, removed the rubber seals and fitted it in two hours. Obviously it does not look so neat with all the redundant holes but is working fine. Note that this one also did not have the nice and shiny clear coat finish.

RVB_Plenum_Carbon_RV7.jpg

Any plans for an 0320 size plenum for an RV-4 Jan? I would be very interested. I am also in no rush either so I am willing to wait for you to produce one if it is on your plans.

Hi Anthony,
Not many RV4's around here so it will be a battle to find one to make the mold from. When and if I do that it will be posted in the RV4 section!

How did it perform?

Hi Jan. Can you provide some feedback on how the plenum performed from a CHT and speed perspective?
Regards,
Tom.

My in-flight CHTs did not change much. What did change was the CHTs on takeoff climb out. Before, I would have to push over pretty quick for a 120 knot climb out. Now, it is almost never an issue. My general procedure to warm up the oil for change is to takeoff and pull for 90 knots and hold till oil temps are170-180 F. I usually level out 6-7000 feet all heated up.
I could not do this before installing the plenum.

Hi Tom,
I always say that if you can build perfect rubber seals, you do not need our plenum lids. BUT even if you build them perfect, down the line there will be points where they sag or fold, causing air leaks.

On a new build and plenum you will not see any magic happening. On a retrofit you will see better cooling figures. In summary - the plenum gives you a life long air tight fit. :)

Remember there is an install guide line doc on www.rvbits.com

Any of those email addresses will reach me.

Back