- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:27 PM

Default Around the Corner

Not as colorful as Gary's and not as scientific as Paul's, my short trip around Appallachian Corner was right on the money. A lot of fun was had.

A personal day coupled with two days off was enough time to visit cousin in VA, famous Triple Tree FlyIn in SC, a boat gathering in TN and new wannabe in KY.

Ride to VA was a bit longer then planned.

Atlantic City, now closed Bader field. My younger cousin works 6 miles from here at big place where they have fast giants killer jets and all kinds of radars. I sneaked unnoticed.

After Atlantic City weather gods were not in good mood. I stopped at Wildwood WWD, reassesed the situation, then trolled along and around the front staying far from Red Circle and Forbidden Squares.

In VA skies were nice and rosey. Don Alexander met me at Hanover Airport and we spent several hours flying around. Visited Louisa and Bob Martin, Shenandoah Valley and Blackstone Joint civilian/military base. Topped off the day at a cozy Mexican restaurant with Don and his lovely wife Mary.

Day was great and sleep was deep.

Last edited by Vlad : 09-21-2012 at 09:30 PM.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:51 PM

Next morning crisp weather. Don dropped me off at the airport and up I went toward the Carolinas. Upper Carolina was clear but the Lower One brew something. It brew another big red circle around Charlotte and dense layer of condensation over Triple Tree.

Still OK for now.

Bridge to nowhere.

From here there was a lot of radio chatting.

Airplanes were stacked like pancakes over Triple Tree and pleaded for a pirep. Approach at Greer could not help much. TT Tower reported legal Class G day VFR, many people turned back. Somebody local landed and reported doable. I landed too.

There were not many airplanes on the grounds.

Food stands were not ready yet and I spent some time browsing around. Grass was wet and soil soaked. Bought a sandwich and sat at empty table watching an RV landing.

There were two other guys, one of them said; Hey you know it's not allowed here to eat alone. Come here. I am Bill and this is Pat.

That's how I know Bill the radio announcer and Pat the owner of Triple Tree Empire.

Old 09-21-2012, 10:06 PM

Pat Hartness is amazing fellow. Invited me to his truck to tour the facility.

Old Air Force Tower they bought, transported here and totally restored to originality. There are some antennae Pat doesn't even know what they are for.

His hangar and his toys.

This is what his wife presented him after he turned big boy 70. What a wife!

He told me about his plans. The plans are of grandiose improvements. This beach project for kids.

Met several RVators they all know me from VAF. Became stereotypical - hi Vlad I read you on VAF!

Time to go. TN called and asked why so long?
Old 09-21-2012, 10:33 PM

I go to TN in Sept every year. Previous year highlights are here. I planned to build a mahogany runabout but now I think of buying already built one. Several RV builders/pilots have constructed similar. Roberta being the most famous.

Usually I arrive, boaters track me via APRS, I do a pass over marina, then somebody picks me up at local airport which is couple miles away. This year the situation after landing was different and it developed quick. I passed over riders couple times on safe altitude and landed.

Landed, chocked, tied, covered, ready for pickup.

An SUV stops by the gate. An official looking lady gets out and with very serious look is walking toward me. Hello, I am Carrol from Chattanooga fisdow, can I see your pilot license and medical please? And she flashes an ID/business card with a pic and a blue something...

Sure I said my brains didn't work that fast for looong time. I didn't think of why, my thoughts were WHO I will be calling NOW to get legal counsel. Cousin? No, need somebody heavyweight in NY. Urgently.

Show lasted only several seconds a guy got of the SUV and it was Chris who taught his mother how to act to scare the Russian. Chris flies some serious corporate hardware and always ready to throw a joke on piston pilot. Well done Chris!

We all enjoyed the boat gathering. Most boaters reserved floating cabins, I shared a cabin on the land.

Next day were rides and more fun.

Tomorrow I go to Kentucky...

Last edited by Vlad : 09-21-2012 at 10:45 PM.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:45 PM

Default Nice jaunt

Nice little jaunt around the corner. Your corner has quite a large radius.
Old 09-22-2012, 05:26 AM

Great stuff Vlad! I learned to fly at Hanover years ago. Although it is a totally different place now it still holds a special place in my heart. I'm glad you were able to hook up with Don and tour the old stomping grounds. You should pick up a Virginia Aviation Ambassador Passport and collect your stamps. You would have it filled in no time!

RV7
Empennage and wings need tips
Fuselage kit "finished" (for the moment)
Finish kit and FWF in progress
Hartzell CS
NIB $35,000 Paperweight: Aerosport Power IO-360 with the inferior Superior crank, Dual Pmags, AFP FM200 FI

Hangar construction at 7FL4 finished.
Home construction at 7FL4 under way.

BE35 at 7FL4
C-172 at KCRG (sold)
C-150 at 7FL4 (sold)

www.mykitlog.com/cakelley
www.1379.eaachapter.org
Old 09-24-2012, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad View Post

In VA skies were nice and rosey. Don Alexander met me at Hanover Airport and we spent several hours flying around. Visited Louisa and Bob Martin, Shenandoah Valley and Blackstone Joint civilian/military base. Topped off the day at a cozy Mexican restaurant with Don and his lovely wife Mary.

Day was great and sleep was deep.
Cousin, for such a kind soul I think there's a cruel streak in you. I thought I was past the dreaded "free flight" in an RV. My RV is way past the quick build stage and 6-8 months of steady work would finish it up. But my Cherokee isn't the same joy she used to be. You suggested a Plan B to get me flying sooner - and I'm looking at RVs. I've been spoiled by flying in an RV and I can't wait to finish mine to start flying one....so I've been looking all weekend at RV's for sale. The Cherokee will need to find a new home....I'm ready to buy any side-by-side RV at the right price - I've got 2 I'm seriously looking at and you never know what you'll find in the hanger the next time you stop by KXSA for fuel. Incredibly, the wife is okay with the plan, as long as it's a side-by-side and the price is right. <g>
RV-9A 702DA (reserved) Finish Kit IOX-340
www.propjock.com
Old 09-24-2012, 09:50 PM

Vlad,

I figured out how you can take your boat with you on your next trip.

Take a look at this.

http://s1090.photobucket.com/albums/...t=IMG_0304.jpg

(Would have put the pic in the post but haven't learned how to do that yet)

Glenn Wilkinson
RV-7 Coming Soon
N987RV Reserved
2015 Donation Gladly Paid

"Maintain Thy Airspeed, Lest the Earth Arise and Smite Thee"
Old 09-25-2012, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn654 View Post
Vlad,

I figured out how you can take your boat with you on your next trip.

Take a look at this.

(Would have put the pic in the post but haven't learned how to do that yet)

Glenn Wilkinson

Glenn your idea is better then mine