Well, I am not a detailed blogger guy, but I will keep this thread alive with updates, particularly where there are hidden rocks that I stumble onto
I have been thinking about this conversion for some time. I like the new technology, most all my RV12 friends have SV, and the need to update in some manner for 2020, were factors. Then, lately, the Dynon rebate offer was a welcome plus.
My first moves were to review the plans in detail, particularly sections 42D for conversion harnesses, and 31B for new harnesses. To use new harnesses you have to do about half of section 42D to prepare the airframe. A bunch of new holes have to be made in the avionics shelf and firewall for mounting the new boxes. Then use section 31B for installing the new harnesses and all the misc connectors. I looked at each plan sheet in those two sections and made a list of parts needed and referenced them to the page number.
There were several things that could be done without actually taking the plane out of service this last summer. I wanted to fly during the good weather, but also was anxious to get some stuff done so the actual down time was minimized later.
The things that could be done ahead include:
Two new wire are needed in the wings out to the nav/strobes. One is so the nav function can be independent and the other is to sync the strobes.
This was problematic. The strings I left in the wings are really not useable. How to attach the string to the wires without a big knot or some kind that will not pass the little bushings? I decided that a better way was to use the existing wire as a pull wire to pull in three new wires. One to replace the pull wire and the other 2 wires needed. Then I stumbled on one of those hidden rocks. I found that the pull wire was not free. I had wire tied it to the ground wire out in the wing tip. On the left wing I managed to slip a piece of saftey wire in and hook the wire tie and dragged it out to where I could cut if off. Then on the right wing the same thing except there were TWO wire ties. I managed to get one off through the little hole and the other by accessing the wire after taking the landing light out.
Once I had the dumb wire ties off, I soldered the three new wires to the pull wire leaving about 3 inches between joints and make small solder connections that would pass through the bushings. Managed to step on the hidden rocks and not get wet.
In the tailcone:
Installed the ADSB IN antenna. Installed the ADAHRS brackets. Installed the ADAHRS stiffener. All easy stuff except for getting in the tailcone.
In the cockpit:
Installed the canopy safety switch which will be monitored by the SV. Installed the new canopy catch.
All fun if you like to tinker