- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 11-27-2015, 02:03 PM

Default Thanksgiving First Flight

I thought you all might like to see some pictures from my airworthiness inspection and first flight:

Three things I'm very thankful for this year: My wife, my 8 month old son, and my fresh airworthiness inspection (10/16/15) on N997RV:

Black friday before the big liftoff (fire suit on):

Airborne!:

After Landing:

Brief first flight narrative:

N997RV flew for the first time today from Manassas Regional airport in VA. The departure was from a class D inside the Washington DC SFRA. Pattern altitude was 1200 and I requested 1800 just under the class D ceiling. I flew for 28 minutes and 5 long pattern laps above the airport before descending into the pattern and landing on 34R. I remained within 2 miles of the runway at all times.

N997RV is an RV7A with Lycoming IO-360-M1B and constant speed prop. I orbited the field with shallow bank angles and tested for stability. Airspeed was kept to a sedate 115 KIAS peak. At these slower speeds the aircraft required 40% of my available "up" electric elevator trim to fly level and prevent a descent. Right electric aileron trim was also required to level a very slightly heavy left wing. Since I had a 2000 MSL ceiling, I only tested flaps to first of 3 notches (15 deg), and only performed a slowdown to 80 knots (nowhere near stall) to confirm airspeed indications were reasonable. After 5 laps and 25 minutes, I powered back to 95 knots, deployed 15 degrees of flaps, and performed a gradual descending base/final to 34R. Landing was a greaser by blind luck, or maybe thanks to 5.1 hours transition training with Jan in Florida.

Post flight data analysis indicates I touched down on the runway at about 61 KIAS. The brand new engine saw CHTs starting during the takeoff roll around 350 and climbing briefly over 400 to 425 during the first climbout. After level off the CHTs were back well under 400. This first flight was biased towards risk reduction/safety (at the expense of engine breakin) and the next flight is planned for 1:20 minutes at 75% power to try to seat the rings. No major squawks.

More to come...along with some questions for the community....in the meantime...Happy Thanksgiving...It sure is for me.
Jim Clark
Old 11-27-2015, 02:20 PM

Congrats. It was a great day for it.
Hph 304CZ sold
RV6 built and sold
N199EC RV6A flying
Retired Aerospace Engineer and A&P/IA
Old 11-28-2015, 06:19 AM

Default Congratulations

Nicely done!!!
Picture log: http://s271.photobucket.com/albums/j...8tor215/RV-9A/
Old 11-28-2015, 12:17 PM

Is it reasonable to expect to stay inside a 4nm radius class d for 1:20 for my second flight at 75% power?

Are my CHT values from first flight a concern or normal?

Thanks
Jim

Last edited by JamesClarkIV : 11-28-2015 at 01:03 PM.
Old 11-28-2015, 07:38 PM

Well done James! We've got a lot to be grateful for in this community. John
Old 11-28-2015, 08:01 PM

For early flights I like to stay within gliding distance of the airport and up to 4,500'. I would recommd a step climb or a higher airspeed climb to keep the CHT's under 420 max, and under 400 as much as possible. Enriched your mixture a little, if possible, to keep the CHT's down.

From your data, it appears that your EGT's are running close to 1400 when your CHT's are high. I suite that's during takeoff and initial climb. While it is a valid argument that actual EGT values don't mean much, the fact that they are high at, I assume, full power, and then come down as you reduce power, probably means you are running too lean at full power. On an IO engine, I like to see EGT's in the low 1200's for takeoff and initial climb. When I pull back to 5 squared for prolonged climb, I lean to the low 1300's.

While it is fairly normal to see higher CHT's during break-in, it is still good to try to keep them lower as I mentioned above.

Check your mixture. I am fighting with a very similar issue with my RV-6A as posted on recently. The first thing I am going to do is check for intake leaks (not as critical on a fuel injected engine) and rich enough mixture.