What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need plan to repair RV-6 wing..

Closterman

Hi guys ! My friend had a small badluck with his RV-6 and we need to repair the leading edge of the wing. My friend didn't build the plane and he doesn't have any plan. I build a RV-7 so i don't have the RV-6 plan too.. Did someone have the RV-6 wing plan in PDf so we will be able to find the right number for the parts we need to make the repair... You can send me the file directly by e-mail : info (at) mraerodesign.com
Thanks

You can get a complete set of plans and the construction manual from Van's on CD/DVD for like $10. I'd recommend this as the -6/6A plans aren't as complete as the 7 plans are and you might need to reference a number of different drawings.

Just a heads up on the 6. Unlike the 7, the early 6 did not have prepunched holes in the skins, if memory serves me well, the late model 6 had some prepunched skins. You may have to use the damaged skin as a template for drilling??? You might want to verify with Vans using the serial number of the kit. Larry

Very thin clear Lexan works real well when making these types of repairs for locating the holes and rivet layout/spacing. You can cleco it in place like the skin material and eventually end up with a final pattern copy. :)

What we want to do

We plan to make the repair like on this pics :
pages-de-structural-repair-manual-page-72.jpg

We will buy one rib and the front skin to have the correct curve. We don't know if it's a pre-punched wing and I think it will be less job to make a patch than changing the complet skin...

dscn3278.jpg

I have done this repair on an RV-6A once. and multiple times on other models.
My recommendation would be to do the research to determine if the wing kit vintage had prepunched skins. You could probably tell by measuring hole spacing with a caliper. If the hole spacing on different rib locations, exactly matches from one to another, it most likely is a PP skin.
The end result will be much better if you replace the skin and it is not much m more work than patching it. Particularly because it would make replacing the damaged rib much easier. The process does involve removing the fuel tank, but that is not that big of a deal. Once the tank has been removed, I have removed/replaced the (prepunched) skin in about 8 hours.

changing the skin

But, did you have enough access to make all the riveting ? How did you acces the rivets of the main spar ? The ones near the tips are not a problem, but for thoses near the center ??

But, did you have enough access to make all the riveting ? How did you acces the rivets of the main spar ? The ones near the tips are not a problem, but for thoses near the center ??

The exact same way as when the wing was originally built...

With the wing tip removed, you can access the outboard portion of the wing spar flange, and the inboard portion is accessed just like had to be done when riveting the second outboard skin onto the aft part of the wing, by reaching in through the fwd lightening holes in the main wing ribs from the access cover on the wing bottom.

The same is done for the riveting on the nose ribs. With the fuel tank removed, you can reach half way by access though the inboard nose rib, and the other half through the outboard most nose rib at the tip.

Repair

If your skin is not pre-punched and you elect to patch the damaged area. I would use a section of replacement skin to cut backing doubler from. It is the correct thickness and curvature. We know we are not bound by AC43-13 but it has all the good info on how this should be done.

Don Broussard

RV 9 Rebuild in Progress

part number please.

If someone who have the RV-6 plan can just tell me the parts number for the ribs, and the leading edge skin, this will help me to order the parts. We will order the CD of plan in the same time for the futur, but I want to save time of ordering the CD and wait after it to order our parts....

Thanks

If someone who have the RV-6 plan can just tell me the parts number for the ribs, and the leading edge skin, this will help me to order the parts. We will order the CD of plan in the same time for the futur, but I want to save time of ordering the CD and wait after it to order our parts....

Thanks

The part # for the prepunched LE skin is different than the non-prepunched.
You need to determine which one you have.

I have asked directly to Van's finaly and I got my answer the same day ! Thanks to the Van's super Customer service !!! ;)

from plans dated 5-1-87 with revisions through 1/99:
Outboard of tank, leading edge skin is W601. Rear skins are W603 Top and W605 Bottom. Ribs from tip: W-409R, W409L, W4092L, W4092L, W4091L. These plans are for pre-punched skins that were part of my kit. I seem to remember that the ribs L and R designations were for the direction that the flange faced. The above are for the left wing.
message me your email and I'll send you a pdf of the wing plans

RV6 leading Edge P/N

Leading edge skin is .025" 2024-T3 part number W601
Ribs are W609R (R is for right facing Flange) and W609L. They are .025" 2024-T3 also. Drawing 11 shows wing rib form blocks if you want to make your own as all measurements are listed to make a rib. My kit was about a 1998 vintage and the ribs were roughly formed with no fluting meaning the builder had to mark locations of the flutes and flute the rib to take the twists out from the forming process. If you can't find a W609/W608 part number than look for W408/W409 which my inventory sheets have listed. These are for the RV4...the RV6 and RV4 have the same ribs and are interchangeable.

All numbers are from my Builders Manual used at the time of building my RV6. The prints are here but hard to get to so email me if you need any farther info.
Please note that the wing skins only were prepunched but NOT matched hole. None of the rest of the wing components were drilled. I can't remember if the leading edge skins were punched but I would say they were NOT as I recall. This will not be a hard repair whichever way you go. Good luck.

Dick DeCramer
N500DD RV6
N149KC RV4 Repair
RV8 Finish Kit
Las Cruces, NM
rv6n500dd at gmail dot com

Back