What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Marvel Mystery Oil - Lycoming

I add Marvel Mystery oil to my fuel

• Every tank

Votes: 18 6.9%
  • On a schedule (every 2nd, 3rd, 4th tank full)

Votes: 26 10.0%
  • Occationally (~ 1 time a year)

Votes: 40 15.3%
  • Never

Votes: 177 67.8%

• Total voters
I always use it in the oil, never put it in fuel. Many people I know do the same. I had it increase the compression in a high time Cont TIO-360.

Last edited:
always have, always will. formulated by marvel carb business.

Last edited:
marvel oil

Used it for years in lawn mowers and other engines and in the gas in my airplane some times. I use about half a qt in the oil 30 min before oil change.It is mostly mineral spirit and 0 weight oil with 1 part per million hydrofloric acid and it makes my airplane smell better.
Bob

I used to use it in the fuel of my old Cherokee 140 with 150hp engine (7.0:1 compression) since it made a slight improvement in the amount of lead ash deposits on the spark plugs, but I've never used it in my 160hp RV6.

I've never used it, but the engine I put in my 6A had sat in a warehouse for 10 years. Corrosion was my obvious concern. When I removed the jugs none was found. The oil in the sump smelled distinctly of Marvel Mystery oil. Don't know if the Marvel oil made a difference or if the owner just did a good job of excluding moisture.

There is no PROVEN benefit to MMO as an oil or gas additive in aircraft engines. There is also no PROVEN detriment to MMO either.

But Consider>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

with 1 part per million hydrofloric acid

Hmmm...even at 1 part per million

HFL+lead+steel=battery
Even at 1 part per million do you really want this stuff in your oil,on your bearing and journals?:eek:

According to the MSDS MMO consists of:
Naphthenic Hydrocarbons
Mineral Spirits
Chlorinated Hydrocarbons
Benzene
One of the ultimate products of combustion of chlorinated hydrocarbons is Hydrochloric acid HCL

HCL+2 dissimilar metals=battery

Do you really want this stuff in your fuel tank, cylinders, rings, pistons, crankcase?:eek:

Very early on when T28s became popular with warbird enthusiasts there were a rash(meaning many) in flight catastrophic engine failures due to main bearing failure.

Ultimately it was determined to be secondary to electrolysis between the main bearing and journal from weak acids in the oil and the engines sitting in a pickled container for years.

Look here chapter 20 page 23 re: causes of bearing failure.

http://www.mahle-aftermarket.com/media/local-media-north-america/product-files/ceb-2-1114-engine-bearing-failures-brochure.pdf

Last edited:
Lycoming have repeatedly weighed in on this.

They have a vested interest in the reliability and longevity of their engines. They have done a lot of research. There is only one additive which they have determined to make any positive benefit, which has already been added to Aeroshell W100plus. If there was any other substance that had been shown to work, including MMO, they'd add that to W100plus too.

- mark

Lycoming have repeatedly weighed in on this.

They have a vested interest in the reliability and longevity of their engines. They have done a lot of research. There is only one additive which they have determined to make any positive benefit, which has already been added to Aeroshell W100plus. If there was any other substance that had been shown to work, including MMO, they'd add that to W100plus too.

- mark

I don't believe that for a minute. If Lycoming endorses anything they just as well excepted any liability if some idiot fly's into a mountain and someone put a drop of MMO in his engine ten years prior. And since Lycoming has no vested interest in MMO they would never publicly tell anyone to use it in a Lycoming product.

I can't recall ever hearing of any lawsuit or for that matter anyone ever complaining about MMO damaging an engine. The product has been around for quite a long time and for the most part seems to have a big following. A lot of people use it in their aviation engines and a lot don't. Guess it's just a personal preference. I've seen it work when I used it, I've never seen it cause damage. That's my experience. It won't fix a damaged or worn out engine, it doesn't claim to.

THE HISTORY

header_logo.png

Marvel Mystery Oil?, boasting an enviable reputation among vehicle owners world-wide, is truly a legend of its own. From an auspicious beginning, it is now recognized as a product that has stood the test of time and continues to provide unsurpassed performance and benefits in motors in the automotive, industrial and marine world.

Burt Pierce founded the Marvel Oil Company in 1923. His reputation for ingenuity preceded him as he was already well-known for inventing the Marvel Carburetor, standard equipment on 80% of all vehicles produced after World War I.

Vehicles of the post WWI era encountered carburetor problems, the most perplexing being clogged jets due to high lead content and other contaminants found in the gasoline of the time. The problem motivated Mr. Pierce to direct his creative ingenuity towards formulating a blend of chemicals and petroleum products to clean and maintain clogged jets. He was successful beyond his wildest expectations and the legend was born!

?Mystery Oil?, as it was originally called, proved to have other beneficial effects on the engine. By creating a top ring seal, it produced higher compression and, by preventing blow-by on power strokes, it resulted in more power. Mystery Oil also improved gas mileage and minimized engine wear.

Old AdvertismentInitially based in Chicago, the company moved to New York City and then in 1941 moved to its long-time home in Port Chester, New York. In 1999, the Marvel Oil Company was acquired by Turtle Wax, Inc. and is now headquartered back in its hometown in the Chicago area.

Marvel Mystery Oil? continues to be an extremely relevant and effective product, even in today?s ?high-tech? vehicles. With the cost of vehicle maintenance increasing every year, preventive maintenance is the key in avoiding astronomical repair bills.

Why the name Mystery Oil? Burt Pierce refused to divulge the formula for his new product and answered all inquiries as to its make-up with ?It?s a Mystery!? The name caught on and is still recognized today for its ?mysterious? ability to cure and prevent almost any engine ailment.

Every oil change

One cup of MMO in the sump on every oil change. Started doing this after my 1st stuck valve at 450ish tach hours. So far so good.

Answer

The answer to this whole mess is to run unleaded avgas. When will it be widely available? I know I am a slow builder, but they are even slower.

2 additives

Use MMO in the fuel after every major tank fill and add some to oil on oil change. Started using it on my Pacer based on input from all the old f*rts that I flew with in Utah/Idaho back country. Also use camguard over the same period in both planes. So far over about 17 years oil analysis is good, plugs look fine, compression's are good and the engines have run well.

May be psychosomatic but I don't plan to mess with apparent success. :)
YMMV
Figs

Started using it on my Pacer based on input from all the old f*rts that I flew with in Utah/Idaho back country.

I was one of those users back when I had my Tri-Pacer but I've never used MMO in my O-320 powered -9A.

I've been using it as a salad dressing for years. It also makes a good marinade for chicken when mixed with a little worcessstterrrshirerrrerrrr sauce. My wife uses it as a hair conditioner, and even rubbed it into her skin to get rid of belly stretch marks after our first child was born. I also put a shot glass of it in our hummingbird feeders and have noticed that their little wings flap much faster, they poop less, and never have stuck valves.

I've been using it as a salad dressing for years. It also makes a good marinade for chicken when mixed with a little worcessstterrrshirerrrerrrr sauce. My wife uses it as a hair conditioner, and even rubbed it into her skin to get rid of belly stretch marks after our first child was born. I also put a shot glass of it in our hummingbird feeders and have noticed that their little wings flap much faster, they poop less, and never have stuck valves.

Crushing it.

The scary part is knowing, someone, somewhere, is likely to read this post and actually try it as a salad dressing...:eek:

Best post of 2019!!

I hate it when my hummingbirds get stuck valves. Have you ever done a wobble test on a hummingbird? I better get some of this MMO stuff right away.

The hardest part is carefully removing the feathery little valve cover. After that, as long as you have the tiny wobble test fixture (available from Aircraft Spruce here), then it's all over in 10 minutes.

But be careful. The last time I wobble tested a hummingbird, he poked my hand so hard that it drew blood. No problem though. I just rubbed a little Marvel Mystery Oil on it.

ofy.jpg

of6.jpg

Last edited:
Darwin...

The scary part is knowing, someone, somewhere, is likely to read this post and actually try it as a salad dressing...:eek:

That?s OK because that would be doing the world a favor. I?m more concerned about the same person puting it into their bird feeder first. ;) :rolleyes:

Mmo

MMO=one part ATF, three parts solvent
Is that what you want in a engine or
Fuel tank?
It?s great for removing grease, oil or
A fastener removing fluid.
So no from me on any use on a
Engine related system.

Sorry meant to that they are chlorinated
And polar solvents.

I guess the para-dichlorbenzene is there as a perfume. Sniff away!

I have a legitimate use for MMO in my air tools. A professionally used air drill (In the early days) has had regular treatments since 1975 and still works well. It may have cancer though.

I don’t use MMO. However, solvents have a long history of being used as a carrier of lubricants, some even as lubricants.
Penetrating oil is an example. It has low viscosity due to the added solvents. It penetrates where oil alone would not be able to. Solvents lower flash points typically mean they don’t stick around long either.

My theory with MMO, Mouse Milk, etc....is the same with any oil rendered to a lower overall viscosity by a solvent. It will penetrate a tighter gap carrying some of the lubricant. It will also do some chemical scrubbing or dissolving of residue.

Other examples....
Some old timers would add kerosene to their Diesel swearing it helped keep injectors clean.
Kerosene also works well as a lubricant and coolant when machining aluminum by the way. (Not recommended due to its combustible nature, but we used it back in the day).

Solvents and lubricants have been married together for a long, long time. You’re going to have widely differing views on its effectiveness or potential risk of use in an aircraft engine.

I don?t use MMO. However, solvents have a long history of being used as a carrier of lubricants, some even as lubricants.
Penetrating oil is an example. It has low viscosity due to the added solvents. It penetrates where oil alone would not be able to. Solvents lower flash points typically mean they don?t stick around long either.

My theory with MMO, Mouse Milk, etc....is the same with any oil rendered to a lower overall viscosity by a solvent. It will penetrate a tighter gap carrying some of the lubricant. It will also do some chemical scrubbing or dissolving of residue.

Other examples....
Some old timers would add kerosene to their Diesel swearing it helped keep injectors clean.
Kerosene also works well as a lubricant and coolant when machining aluminum by the way. (Not recommended due to its combustible nature, but we used it back in the day).

Solvents and lubricants have been married together for a long, long time. You?re going to have widely differing views on its effectiveness or potential risk of use in an aircraft engine.

Hi Jon, I agree entirely with your knowledgable post. I don?t use MMO either. At one time I tried to purchase some mouse milk for my Vetterman exhaust slip joints but it was classified as hazardous (flammable) material and could not be air-freighted to Australia. So I just made up my own brew with 50% automatic transmission fluid and 50% acetone. It seems to work quite well and may possibly be better than mouse milk in that application. As you say, you need a solvent carrier to allow the lubricant to wick into tight spaces. I wouldn?t use MMO in my fuel or engine oil but I must admit that if my plane will be sitting around without use for a month or so while I?m overseas then I put some Camguard into my oil before my last flight. But that might just be blind faith.

Back