What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Another perfect day at Cedar Key

carlrai

Well Known Member
Those of you familiar with this little jewel on the west coast of Florida know it's a favorite lunch spot for those of us in the middle of the state.
No elaborate write up here, just a great Saturday. 75 degrees, 4-6kts right down 05. The photo says it all.

And a quick stop at Crystal River on the way home for a Dairy Queen desert.

CedarKey01-12-13_zps6fdf59fe.jpg

It is not fair with it -2, snowing, and snow expected all night, for you to only post one picture. At least a better shot of the beach. I could see it better, but that plane is in the way!!

I gota get this plane done and get down there. That looks like a nice place to just be lazy. Sure looks like fun this time of year.

Are there things to do if a person wanted to spend a couple of days just hanging out at Cedar Keys. How about lodging. Is there a particular hotel that is a good place to stay. I'm looking for a low key (no pun intended)place to spend a little time with my wife.

Are there things to do if a person wanted to spend a couple of days just hanging out at Cedar Keys. How about lodging. Is there a particular hotel that is a good place to stay. I'm looking for a low key (no pun intended)place to spend a little time with my wife.

that seems to be about all there is at cedar key. it is out in the middle of no where. check it out on google maps. nice place to relax. :cool:

We spent one day there back in June 2012. Went fishing off of the pier. Did not catch a thing. Still fun with my 9 yr old boy while the girls went shopping. Rent poles/purchase bait and 3 day lic at the hardware store. Tony's was a nice place for lunch. We hauled 4 qts of frozen clam chowder back to Sebring(SEF). The runway sure looked small from the air. The runway was a little rough. There is a small beach. They have kayak rentals/tours available, but schedule ahead for that. One night/2 days would have been better.

Short Final on 5

This compliments Alton's photo from the other direction.
cedarkey_runwayshortfinal1resize.jpg

Judy, the taxi driver has the skinny on all the good places to stay. You'll find the rates reasonable, especially if you get a small two bedroom condo and split it with another couple. $140 -$200 night. And from Judy, don't stay at the old hotel on Main St. "Horrid!"

This place is available and I'm told quite reasonable.

DSCN0478.jpg

Aside from kayaking out to the lighthouse, eating seafood and enjoying adult beverages, there isn't much to do but that's pretty much why anyone visits here.

Here's another about where you turn downwind to base on 05

CedarKeyOutIsland_zps2a788267.jpg

Last edited:
Cedar Key

Natures Landing is a great place to stay, they are condos on the bay with kitchens and a short walk to everything. Judy the cab driver will reply to your calls on ctaf (122.9) $5 per person to town last time I was there.

no bad bird days at cedar key

We enjoy capturing pictures of birds. I use the binoculars and vic uses the camera. Cedar Key is our favorite place to stop. We walk to the restaurant row overlooking the water. Fresh seafood makes the lunch enjoyable, We always see an abundance of water birds and that makes the walk very enjoyable. The flight there and back are the topping on the cake.

history?

I'm all for there being a runway every 10 miles or so, but why is this one here?
some folks would say they ruined a perfect little island by sticking a big runway on it.
We say, isn't it nice they enhanced this airport with a little gulf coast scenery!!!! :)

Cedar key

Recommend Cedar Key B & B .... Beautiful old house and trees, nice people. Popcorn too! Love Cedar Key. ;)

Perry one of the neat things about this place is that the Key is a bunch of connected little keys. The airport is kinda on its own little key with a little bridge to get therre and back. Also very little traffic at this airport. Most visitors in town would not know the place had an airport. That small ramp has room for about 14 planes and some of those are at the condo on the end. If the place gets busy you have to find a spot in the grass. Busy might be 20 planes.

Back