What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Guy Question - RV-4 vs RV-8?

Hornetdriver

I'm New Here
Greetings all - long time troller, first time joiner/poster. I've been out of the cockpit for a few years since exiting the Navy and am finally reaching a point where I am seriously looking to purchase a completed RV. I'm a centerline guy and have had a chance to get up in an RV-8 (loved it!). Felt like I was right back in the old office. I've been scanning the boards and ads over the last six months getting up to speed specifically on RV-8s (8 or 8a) and the Rockets.

So here is the question - I've come across more than one post over the past couple months from guys who clearly know what they are talking about stating that the RV-4 should not be overlooked relative to the RV-8. Considering that the -4s seem to run about half the cost of the -8s, what factors pointed you RV-8 drivers to the -8?

Many thanks in advance for input!

TO

Last edited:
my choice

I have flown both the 8 and the 4, they are both great airplanes. I chose to build the 8 because it is more roomy inside especially for the rear passenger. My mission for my airplane is light aerobatics, local flying and some long x-countries, so for comfort for my wife, I chose the 8. To me the mission should help define the final choice. Hope this helps. Oh and welcome to VAF:)

bird

How big are you and how big are your friends. See if you can get ahold of a typical Weight & Balance on a -4 and a -8. I'm 6"2 and 210#ish. Most of my buddies are tall too. The logical choice for me was the -8
Bob Markert
Cobra

RV8
wings sloooo build

Last edited:
I second what bird said. The back seat is not a great place to be for longer trips. If you do go with the 4 try and find one that has the foot well mod. The mod gives a few extra inches for your pax to stretch out at more comfortable angle.

Both are great planes. I think the 4 is a tad lighter on the controls. Ultimately it comes down to your mission.

My opinion only

If you are buying go with the -4, lots cheaper than a comparable -8, best bang for the buck!

If building go with the -8. It has better resale and doesnt cost much more to build if comparably equiped plus its easier to build. I had two RV-4 guys talk me into building my 8 and I had my heart set on a -4.
Glad I did!
YMMV

Sit in the front cockpit of a -4. After years of flying my RV-6 I sat in the front of a -4 a couple of weeks ago and was surprised at how close you sit to the panel and windscreen.

Thanks for the quick responses! Great forum.

Mission profile would be light acro for fun and cross country for business. I'm 6'1 and 230lb so sounds like cockpit might be tight in the -4 so I'll need to check that.

What about performance? I've seen some -4s for sale with 180 and even 200 ponies behind the prop. Seems like that would keep up with an -8?

Appreciate the warm welcome to VAF!

what factors pointed you RV-8 drivers to the -8?

Many thanks in advance for input!

TO

I am also a new guy to this forum, and new to RVs. Simple fact driving me to 8 is the size limitations of the 4. In the back seat, a 6' person is pushing up against the canopy. The 8 is built to allow much bigger (taller) payload.

Regards,
Rick

The addition of the forward baggage compartment in the 8 is one of the things that contributes to its versatility. I did the W&B math for a 4 and an 8 when I made the decision. It seems that in the 4 you can carry a pax or baggage, but not both. In the 8 you can load up the FWD baggage compartment, and then it's nearly impossible to load up the back enough to exceed the aft CG envelope.

Not mine

It seems that in the 4 you can carry a pax or baggage, but not both.

I have not found a configuration that puts my -4 out the rear of the envelope. I weigh 170#, I can put a 200# passenger in the rear and 50# baggage and still be inside the envelope. Helps that I have a CS prop adding some weight to the front.

Back