What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oklahoma City airports

RV9A Bill

Well Known Member
Have 9A nearly ready to fly. I am in a hangar at Lubbock international Airport. We'll be moving to Oklahoma City in a few months. Which OKC airports are being used by rv folks?
Bill

There are several RV guys around OKC. Several private strips and public strips to think about. It all depends on where you will be located in OKC.

Concerning Private Strips here is a list of what I know:
  • Thompson (53OK) - I have a hangar with my 9A in it here;
  • Cole Airpark (2OK7) - small nice airport south of OKC on I-44. No current RV's but there was a Super 8 there before the owner sold it.
  • Twin Lakes (2OK2) - two 9A's, 8, 3. South and east of Tinker AFB on the east side of the metro.
  • Paradise (39OK) - nice folks but not aware of any RV's on this runway. South of Norman, OK on I-35.

Public airports:
  • David J. Perry (1K4) - A lot of good folks there but not familiar with any RV's at the airport. Just south of Norman, OK.;
  • Max Westheimer (KOUN) - This is the University of Oklahoma airport in Norman. Not sure of any RV's there.
  • Shawnee (KSNL) - Nice airport but not familiar with what airplanes may be there.
  • Guthrie (KGOK) - several RV guys.
  • Sundance (KHSD) - I know one RV-6 there. The airport has seen some changes in the past year due to new ownership.
  • Page (KRCE) - Quite a few RV's at this airport. A lot of other active flyers here as well.
  • Wiley Post (KPWA) - This is the business jet hub for the city. Not sure of any RV's.
  • El Reno (KRQO) - I think there may be an RV or two at this airport.
  • Chickasha (KCHK) - A lot of great people here. May be a drive from OKC but decent hangar space available.

There may be some other private strips around that I am not familiar with but hope this can get you started on your search. Again, the location for where you hangar will be affected by where you will be living in the city area. The OKC metro area spreads out over quite a bit of territory so how far you have to travel to the airport will be a determining factor.

Last edited:
Active group

Should add to Steve's response that we have a pretty active group in Oklahoma that includes non-RV fliers and we try to fly somewhere most weekends weather permitting. We would welcome additional company.

if you are on the east side...

and are interested in acquiring a lot on a private airstrip, to build a hangar and/home on, "I know a guy"....it's north of Seminole, about 40-45 miles from downtown.

Probably looking at west side or northwest. Are the changes at Sundance plus side or negative?
Well, what I know is only from reports of those who have (had) hangars there prior to his arrival, no first hand knowledge. Lets just say there was a large exodus of long term renters last winter. If you are interested in that airport, it is a nice airport. It is just not obvious yet what the long term effects of the new ownership will be. If you are looking at the west side of the metro you could not go wrong with Page. There are a lot of active flyers and several builders (RV's and other types) at that airport. It is a nice airport just off of I-40 west of Yukon.

Looking for input on airports to fly into for a weekend in OKC. Yes, I live close and could drive, but what's the fun in that?

Will need a rental car, so that narrows it down.

I've read/heard of some pretty steep landing fees (one FBO called them "facility" fees) at KOKC, and I assume KPWA has some as well. Does anyone have first-hand knowledge or recommendations at either of these airports? How about another place to grab a car?

Thanks in advance!

KOUN in Norman handles a lot of traffic on OU game days, working out rental cars and such for transient aircraft. Might be worth a call.

Looking for input on airports to fly into for a weekend in OKC. Yes, I live close and could drive, but what's the fun in that?

Will need a rental car, so that narrows it down.

I've read/heard of some pretty steep landing fees (one FBO called them "facility" fees) at KOKC, and I assume KPWA has some as well. Does anyone have first-hand knowledge or recommendations at either of these airports? How about another place to grab a car?

Thanks in advance!

Someone on BeechTalk posted he bought fuel at Sundance yesterday for $2.35/gal. Northwest side of OKC.

That's got to be a typo. They're advertising $3.35 on Airnav for FS, 3.15 for SS. Still a great price!

edit: looks like rental cars are a possibility on Sundance, tie down for the night is free, gas is cheap, and it's not much more of a drive into town than either of the bigger airports. I think I might have a winner.

Last edited:
this thread has been dormant for a few years. Any updated recommendations on GA friendly airports with decent enclosed available hangars or airport property for sale in the OKC area? Preferably on the SE side of the greater city area like 2OK2 Twin Lakes.

Back