What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tail or Wing ADS-B Installation Options For RV-12?

ArVeeNiner

Well Known Member
I’m posting this for an A&P friend. He is working with a guy with an RV-12 and he wants to install ADS-B. The guy bought a Uavionix tail unit and told my friend that it doesn’t fit on the rudder. My friend lives an hour and a half from this guy so he doesn’t want to make the drive before he understands the situation. I am pretty unfamiliar with RV-12s so I’m not sure why it wouldn’t fit.

They are also looking at the wingtip version but the guy really doesn’t want to do that because he wants to be able to remove his wings. Of course he could simply put in a plug for the unit…problem solved. However I just saw a drawing online that looks like the RV-12s have internal position lights on the wing tips like most of the other RVs. That would make the wing tip version probably not viable.

I have a simple Ted transponder antenna on the belly of my Rv9A that I use for ADS-B and it works just fine. I guess they could go that route as well. It’s very simple to do.

So, what has worked for you RV-12 drivers?

Last edited:
The first problem is RV-12s do not have a taillight that you can replace with the Uavionix part. Installation would require running wires from the instrument panel to the rudder/vert stab, which is not a minor job. I mounted a taillight on top of the fiberglass vert stab cap, along with a VOR/LOC antenna which required removing the vert stab to run the wires.

If you are into glass work, you could modify the lower fiberglass tailcone to mount the Uavionix part and run the new wiring parallel to the stabilator anti-servo motor wiring.

The Dynon ADSB-472 is a pretty small unit that should integrate with the typical RV-12 avionics and can be easily mounted in several locations. I used a RAMI AV-74 antenna mounted aft of the bottom comm antenna; a Ted antenna would work as well.

John Salak
RV-12 N896HS

The Dynon SV-472 ADS-B In device sits on top of the Garmin GTR200-B com radio.

You probably also need the ADS-B 2020 WAAS GPS antenna , sits atop a tray on top, right next to the firewall, and a transponder 261 for ADS-B out, plus antennas.

Your buddy needs to buy the $10 memory stick with the KAI plans from Van's for the proper locations.

This is assuming the plane has the SkyView D-1000 series glass EFIS in it, which it sounds like it doesn't.

Last edited:
ADSB out

Another option might be the echoUAT by avionics. Fairly simple install and reasonably inexpensive.
danny

I added a FreeFlight 978XVR UAT in 2014 to my 12 which has the old D180 setup. It was pretty simple to add to the avionics bay. I put the GPS antenna on the avionics bay cover and the spike antenna on the belly. Today, I’d probably go for a XPDR/ADS-B combo like the Garmin unit.

Back