What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

2planes / 1 Tee Hangar

g zero

Well Known Member
Looking for ideas for keeping two flying Planes in a single Tee Hangar . I’ve seen the Aero lift ….kinda pricey and bulky. Exploring the idea of a 4 post car lift turned sideways in the rear of the hangar with counter balanced ramps . I’d like to be able to put either plane on it . Looking to keep it under $5000 .
Any one seen or done something along these lines ?

There was an extensive thread a few years ago about using a two post lift for this. I think that is a better approach than a 4 post lift.

A table lift with a custom table might be an option in certain circumstances.

I had a buddy who used a ramp under one wheel to raise the wing on one plane, other plane wing fit under the first.

This was in a box hangar not a "T" but the idea may work out in your case if the hangar is big enough

Depending on the hangar, an RV may fit nose-first into the back of the Tee. If you skew it slightly to the side once it's there, you'll get the tail out of the way and maybe something else coming in tail first can "nest" into the crook between the RV's wing and aft fuselage.

As said before... Dependent on hangar size, which aircraft in particular, etc.

Removed wings

I had a small portable T-Hangar and had to remove the wings on my -12 to fit it and my 6A in.

Casters

I have a buddy with an RV6a that used to share his T-hangar with another RV6a. They put one plane on casters...

CAD

I currently fit a 172 and my RV-8 in my 32 x 42 hangar, plus I’m working out of there on the -8, so there’s support equipment, workbench, etc. Drew it all out in CAD. There’s one way it can all fit, and I make creative use of ramps like Mike S said above. If you have access to CAD, you can grab a 3 view from the internet and scale it to your drawing. Might help you solve how to nest things in there. Good luck.

Depends on the aircraft and the hangar

I've had four Pitts in a T-hangar. Also, two Pitts and an Extra. Or two Pitts, a jet ski, and two cars.

High wing/low wing works great, a lift would be fantastic, but don't discount some simple solutions like a set of race ramps.

Get some grid paper and make a dimensioned cut-out of your hangar, then scale a couple of the aircraft you want to store by finding a three-view online and scaling it up or down on the printer. Play around til you find something that looks like it might work, then go try it out at the hangar.

Last edited:
The costs of lifts can probably be defensible in more populated East coast and West coast locations due to rents. In fly-over country it is not uncommon to have T-Hangars with concrete floors, electricity and door maintenance provided for around $100 plus or minus ten bucks. With vacancy. That's cheaper than any commercial mini storage place.

lift?

I'm curious how does the plane get lifted to be put on casters or up onto a ramp? Is the ramp secured to the floor in any way?

Not all T's are equal

We used to have an RV-8 and anRV-6 in a single T. Have also had a RV-6 and a RV-8A in the same T. Still had room for a few shelves and a work bench in the "base" of the T. We had a 40' door but I don't remember the other dimensions.

Scott A. Jodan
N733JJ

Back