What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Seat Covers for Entry and Exit RV 7A

Tcheairs

Well Known Member
Searched the forum but no hits on this subject.

Anyone solved the problem of having to step onto the seat to get into the RV 7A? Some kind of seat cover (or other invention) to protect my new very nice seats. Would like it (seat cover, pad or whatever) to be easily removable for show. It would also have to "grip" the leather seat bottom somewhat so that it does not slide forward when you step onto it for entry and exit..

All ideas welcome. thanks

I just use a spare piece of carpet about 18" x 18" on top of the seat. Step on it to get in and remove as you are lowering down. Throw it in the back. Reverse process on exit. *edit- Install an Anti Splat easy exit bar if you haven't already. It's magic.

Last edited:
I cut a light weight bath towel to fit and use that. it is easily cut to go around the stick, and throw in the back when done.

I purchased a color coordinated dish towel, about 16"x16", and had my wife embroider the tail number on it. Looks classy and purposeful, and also serves as a rag to wipe up anything that I might need it to.

I've always used hand towels. Catch them on sale for about a $1 at WalMart. They come in a wide variety of colors. Buy the 100% cotton ones for later use on the windshield.

I just step on my used seats in hopes that I can eventually give my wife a reason that we need to buy new ones. haha ;)

We step on the spar between the seats. No carpet or towel required.

We have electric aileron trim, so there is no leaver between the seats.

Also, roll bar hand holds help with entry and exit. (only for sliders)

Carr

Carr

Same, except I step on spar right in front of the stick and hold onto the rollbar support brace.. Put a strip of no slip tape there to provide some grip for my heel.

Roll Bar Brace

Carr

Maybe this is a topic for a new thread, but what can of "roll bar Hand Holds" do you use? Please feel free to start a new thread. I realize I am using the roll bar to get in and out during construction, but I wont be able to do that once I have installed the windscreen and fairing .

I just step on them. Just can't see how my shoe is any different than the bottom of my pants or the back of my shirt that will be in contact with the seat cover for hours. Any liguid or debris will quickly either be absorbed into my pants or rubbed off by them, though that would be a problem if I flew in my suit pants I suppose. 700 hours and no signs of stepping on them, though it is somewhat apparent that someone has sat on them for some time. I have ultraleather and pretty sure the rub test is several hundred thousand rubs before visual affect.

Best way to maintain the perfect condition is to never use them. Don't know how you can sit on something for 100's of hours and expect it to look new, regardless of effort. Generations passed would put clear vynal over their seats and couches to avoid wear. You could try that. Quite uncomfortable, but meets the objective of maintaining the new look over time.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
My butt doesn't weigh 200 lbs, but my shoes do (when I'm standing on them in the seat)..

You might be surprised how high a percentage of weight is carried above your hips (your organs are quite heavy) and your lower seat cushion must carry it all if not reclined; mostly concentrated in an area probably the size of your shoe (the gluts). Further, if your foam can't handle 200 lbs for a few seconds without rebounding, it it will look really bad after 100 hours of sitting on it. I bought a 12" foam mattress. It was vacuum packed in a bag at about 80-90% compression. I was shocked how small the box was. Sat that way for two weeks during shipping. 24 hours out of the bag, it measured exactly the same as the factory spec. I checked as I doubted that it would fully rebound.

I have stepped on mine many hundreds of times and there are no depressions in my seats. I weigh 210. Look the same as when I bought them from Oregon Aero.

Last edited:
I've always used hand towels. Catch them on sale for about a $1 at WalMart. They come in a wide variety of colors. Buy the 100% cotton ones for later use on the windshield.

I would not recommend this. Best practice is to use new towels or dedicated disposable towels for the plexiglass. There are disposable towels designed specifically for plexiglass. I use DuPont Sontara Aircraft Wipes. Being frugal, I cut them in half and get two cleanings from each towel.

If you used a towel that has been used as a step, particles of dirt will be in the towel, and will scratch the plexiglass. It is worth the expense to protect the canopy. Awful expensive and a pain in the a** to replace any sooner that it has to be.

RV 7A exiting

I have an easy exit bar mounted in my RV-7A. It is the bent variety [I have a fuel injected IO-360 engine]. I love the bar when exiting the airplane but flying with the bar sticking up is bruising my Right calf [pilot] and is doing the same to my wife's left calf. I know they have a straight version of this bar and wonder if it will fit my aircraft so that we no longer get injured banging on the bar? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

A couple of towels from the dollar store work fine, but I rarely bother. One of the nice things about leather is that a little leather conditioner and soft brush cleans the seats up like new.

Build a map case between seats.

I built a narrow map case between the seats with a 3/4 inch thick oak lid. The oak lid is hinged to allow access to the case. The case is tall enough to just clear the top of the seats.
I step onto the case lid instead of the seat. Works great. I’ll post a photo tomorrow.

Map case

Map case is like a glove box in a car. Who puts gloves in there?
Tried to attach photo. Not sure if it worked.

Attachments

• EDE9E024-A76F-488F-BBD3-ADB03F9C6EAE.jpg
    EDE9E024-A76F-488F-BBD3-ADB03F9C6EAE.jpg
    394.4 KB · Views: 114
I have hand towels stored on both sides, jammed between the arm rest and seat. Always handy to pull out & replace back. Useful in flight at times, to place on my left arm or leg when trying to get protection from the sun.

I splurged on the color coordinated mats from Classic Aero. I don't want my dirty shoes on my nice leather seats. But then, I'm the guy who changes into "flying shoes" when I get in the plane to keep everything clean. :)

Back