What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Thoughts on my glass panel?

MS19087

Well Known Member
I'm planning my RV-14 panel. As you see in my draft layout I have elected to use a 7" portrait G3X on the right side. My plan is to have an adjustable tilt of anywhere from 0-30 degrees towards the pilot. If i'm flying with another pilot it would sit flat. My experience from my last plane was that flying from left seat, the right glass panel isn't very easy to see and use - therefore putting a 10" panel there is not much use to me. Now one may argue that the pax or co-pilot would enjoy it. This layout has allowed me to preserved panel space to the right for a glove box and an iPad mount. Any thoughts or comments before I finalize my layout?
BTW the stack includes a GNX375 and NAV/COM and remote com.

Attachments

• Panel.jpg
    Panel.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 470
Last edited:
Looks good. I’m planning mine right now as well. And agree on the second panel on co pilot side. I’m thinking of leaving it blank for now for possible add of second. But in meantime use an iPad mount on the right side - probably more useful for my wife.
Are you looking at Stein and Aertronics or others for panel build or do it all yourself?

Me too planning panel

I was all done and then I a had an epiphany. I was trying to fit the switches under the G3x screen but realized that most of the switches to be operate in flight will use my right hand in left seat, or left hand in right seat. So I am moving all the inflight switches to the center area, only leaving start stuff and “otto” pilot stuff on left side.

Hi Mark,

Couple of pointers form my experience over the past two years behind my setup.
1. Reading off a screen on the far side of the cockpit will not be intuitive, so really it's there for the co-pilots benefit or emergency use only. Even if it is tilted toward you, I think you will find it is not something that you will use a lot. If it's there for your co-pilot, then fine. I think that I should have put a 7" in on the co-pilot side because I spend so much time flying with other pilots, instead of the IFR GPS...
2. A VFR type map in the center stack is great for when you have your PFD full of primary instruments, engine monitoring etc. I have an Aera 660 in that location. Cheap, easy to install (sits in an Airgizmo mount), talks to the G3X through bluetooth for sharing flight plans and has a 4hr backup battery. It's also great for selecting radio frequencies and pushing them through to the com radio (they have an RS232 connection). I skipped the autopilot controller (I put a LVL button on my stick and control the autopilot throguh the G3X) and with the inbuilt audio panel in the COM, I'd be leaning toward another center screen.

Tom.
RV-7

Attachments

• vh-srv rv-7 panel trimmed.jpg
    vh-srv rv-7 panel trimmed.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 379
Good comments

I had an Aera 796 in my -9A and really liked it. I have been considering the new Aera 760 in place of the 7” G3X however am a bit concerned about redundancy for my engine Instrumentation if my 10” goes dark.

Engine monitoring

I had an Aera 796 in my -9A and really liked it. I have been considering the new Aera 760 in place of the 7” G3X however am a bit concerned about redundancy for my engine Instrumentation if my 10” goes dark.

If only the Garmin G5 also had a simple engine monitoring screen...

Depending on what you feel you need to conclude the flight safely if the G3X goes dark for any reason, including loss of electrical power, a single independent oil pressure gauge could meet 'essential' requirements.

Good layout, and based on five years with two screens, I’ll offer some opinions different from what others have posted…
* Put a 10” screen on the right side, and use it in split screen mode. The half towards the center of the cockpit is very readable says I, based on experience. Only when you go to full screen does it become less readable because the useful information (in the center of the screen) moves farther away. I use the other half of the screen for flight instruments for the other pilot. And being a CFI, flying flight instruments that far away (in case of screen failure) is not a big deal;
* Go with a GTN650. Why? Because on an ILS, it will automatically switch from GPS to ILS just outside the FAF. Much handier than doing it manually. Also, the larger screen will be useful in flight plan editing;
* Disagree with putting all switches in the center stack. The only switches I use in flight seem to be fuel pump and flaps, and the standard location for flaps is to the right of the power knobs;
* Group your switches so that they’re easier to find. In other words, put spaces in between the groups;
* Here’s an interesting concept: on my plane, for various historical reasons, the three power knobs, carb heat and fuel pump are all in the center stack. Makes it real easy to make sure all the engine controls get manipulated at the same time. Handy, yes, which is good. But on the other hand, non-standard is bad;
* You really don’t need master warn and caution lights as the G3X will do those for you. And in practice, the master caution and master warn invoke identical actions, so the distinction between the two is moot;
* I’m not a fan of headphone jacks on the panel as you end up with cords all over the place;
* If the G3X goes dark, oil pressure will be the least of your worries. No need for a backup. For practice, I have flown the plane with no engine instruments on my side (the safety pilot had them) and it’s annoying to fly on knob position and sounds alone, but not that big a deal.

Be well!

Ed

Good layout, and based on five years with two screens, I’ll offer some opinions different from what others have posted…
* Put a 10” screen on the right side, and use it in split screen mode. The half towards the center of the cockpit is very readable says I, based on experience. Only when you go to full screen does it become less readable because the useful information (in the center of the screen) moves farther away. I use the other half of the screen for flight instruments for the other pilot. And being a CFI, flying flight instruments that far away (in case of screen failure) is not a big deal;
* Go with a GTN650. Why? Because on an ILS, it will automatically switch from GPS to ILS just outside the FAF. Much handier than doing it manually. Also, the larger screen will be useful in flight plan editing;
* Disagree with putting all switches in the center stack. The only switches I use in flight seem to be fuel pump and flaps, and the standard location for flaps is to the right of the power knobs;
* Group your switches so that they’re easier to find. In other words, put spaces in between the groups;
* Here’s an interesting concept: on my plane, for various historical reasons, the three power knobs, carb heat and fuel pump are all in the center stack. Makes it real easy to make sure all the engine controls get manipulated at the same time. Handy, yes, which is good. But on the other hand, non-standard is bad;
* You really don’t need master warn and caution lights as the G3X will do those for you. And in practice, the master caution and master warn invoke identical actions, so the distinction between the two is moot;
* I’m not a fan of headphone jacks on the panel as you end up with cords all over the place;
* If the G3X goes dark, oil pressure will be the least of your worries. No need for a backup. For practice, I have flown the plane with no engine instruments on my side (the safety pilot had them) and it’s annoying to fly on knob position and sounds alone, but not that big a deal.

Be well!

Ed

Ed has some great points here. +1 on the 10" for the right side . looks like you have the space. In the long term you will wish you paid the extra $900 for the larger screen. I know I did after about 3 months... i have a very similar panel but with the 650Xi.

Move the switches, you will catch them with your feet and/or pants every time time you climb in. Suggest top of the panel or above the centre stack.
Pete

A few things

I understand your thoughts but keep in mind this isn't a 737. You are only a couple of feet from passenger screen. The other side is easily reached and seen.

I like symmetry. I'd go with another screen the same size. Lose the map box. Not needed as you'll have pockets in interior pieces. Think about using a 750 with remote mounted audio panel and transponder. Save's panel clutter and most stuff can be operated off the screens.

If you keep it as is, put the audio panel on top, transponder, comm 2 on the bottom.

I'm not a fan of audio jacks on the panel. Consider putting them on the roll bar support. I had them there on my 7 tipper and it was great. On my new 7, (slider) they are mounted between the seats on the cross brace.

Look at lots of panels. More importantly, get as many rides in RV's as you can to help you make a decision. Modify as you develop a sense of practicality.

Headphone jacks

Sorry I should have provided more details. This is a -14A. I am using the stock location for the jacks on the seat sides. What your are seeing on the panel is my depiction of two Pmag test switches.

All good comments - thanks.

I understand your thoughts but keep in mind this isn't a 737. You are only a couple of feet from passenger screen. The other side is easily reached and seen.

I like symmetry. I'd go with another screen the same size. Lose the map box. Not needed as you'll have pockets in interior pieces. Think about using a 750 with remote mounted audio panel and transponder. Save's panel clutter and most stuff can be operated off the screens.

If you keep it as is, put the audio panel on top, transponder, comm 2 on the bottom.

I'm not a fan of audio jacks on the panel. Consider putting them on the roll bar support. I had them there on my 7 tipper and it was great. On my new 7, (slider) they are mounted between the seats on the cross brace.

Look at lots of panels. More importantly, get as many rides in RV's as you can to help you make a decision. Modify as you develop a sense of practicality.

Sorry I should have provided more details. This is a -14A. I am using the stock location for the jacks on the seat sides. What your are seeing on the panel is my depiction of two Pmag test switches.

All good comments - thanks.

Which explains why I couldn’t find the copilot jacks!

Doing a Garmin upgrade

I have been flying with my Dynon panel, two 7" D-100/D-120EMS and the right screen is useless to me because it cannot be viewed at an angle. I am upgrading to a full Garmin panel this month and to help with the distance to the right screen I am going to have the two G3X 10" screens right next to each other with the GPS / AP / audio / SL-30 to the right of that with a G5 to the left. I [hopefully] have attached my proposed panel.
Any thoughts on the two panels being together like this? Thank you for the help.

Attachments

• Garmin panel proposed.jpg
    Garmin panel proposed.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 250
I have been flying with my Dynon panel, two 7" D-100/D-120EMS and the right screen is useless to me because it cannot be viewed at an angle. I am upgrading to a full Garmin panel this month and to help with the distance to the right screen I am going to have the two G3X 10" screens right next to each other with the GPS / AP / audio / SL-30 to the right of that with a G5 to the left. I [hopefully] have attached my proposed panel.
Any thoughts on the two panels being together like this? Thank you for the help.

That’s a long reach to enter anything into the gps. Also, technically, doesn’t meet the TSO standard for IFR use.

I'm on the side of stacking the screens next to each other. Mine has the 10" and the 7" side by side and I find it comfortable to reach the GPS and autopilot controls. Start up switches on the left and flight switches in the center. I agree the two 10" screens side by side would make the radio stack very hard to work with. If I have a second pilot with me I can turn the 7" display into a PFD with the touch of one place on the screen. Ipad is on the yoke with a Ram mount.

Attachments

• 7C400451-0094-4FF2-A982-E093E7EF4758.jpg
    7C400451-0094-4FF2-A982-E093E7EF4758.jpg
    315.2 KB · Views: 209
If you can't see the Dynon on the right side of the cockpit, what makes you think the GPS/AP/audio/SL-30 will be any more accessible/readable from there?

Go with one large 10" screen in front of you, the "stack" next to it, and whatever goes on the right is for your passenger / co-pilot. Give them a 10" screen if you like, but keep in mind it's not there (primarily) for you. It's a backup at best.

FWIW I have a 10" on the right as well, not so much for a co-pilot but I can leave a full screen chart or wx map up when I fly. It's not too far away to see and interact with easily.

Attachments

• 20200114_095040 (Large).jpg
    20200114_095040 (Large).jpg
    321.4 KB · Views: 237
Screen do not have to display full size because the useful information is in the center. In other words, a split screen on the right (far) side makes the inboard side plenty readable, even on the other side of a center stack.

My setup, left to right, is: engine instruments, flight instruments, MFD; center stack; MFD, flight instruments, engine instruments. This lets the plane be flown from either seat with engine instruments and flight instruments.

Putting the radio stack is something that you will regret, hate to say it. Five years experience with G3X Touch…

If you can't see the Dynon on the right side of the cockpit, what makes you think the GPS/AP/audio/SL-30 will be any more accessible/readable from there?

Go with one large 10" screen in front of you, the "stack" next to it, and whatever goes on the right is for your passenger / co-pilot. Give them a 10" screen if you like, but keep in mind it's not there (primarily) for you. It's a backup at best.

Snowflake, the Dynon screens are not readable at an angle, the Garmin screens are readable at an angle. Since I will be using the G3X to change radio channels and put in any input for the GPS [except approaches] I should not have to reach my stack on the right.

I would be interested in buying your EMS 120 if you still have it and it is the Super Bright ver.
Thanks.

As soon as I have the Garmin gear installed I will be selling all of the old panel. I had hoped to sell it as a unit but will probably have to piece it out. Plane goes to the avionics shop on 15 Feb will not be done until April fools day, sigh. I will PM you to se if you still need it at that time.

How do you determine if it is the Super Bright version? Picture of current panel attached.

Attachments

• N600AP panel.jpeg
    N600AP panel.jpeg
    210.9 KB · Views: 193
That’s a long reach to enter anything into the gps. Also, technically, doesn’t meet the TSO standard for IFR use.

Bob, I just reviewed section 91.205 and could find no reference to a TSO relating to the location of equipment on the instrument panel. Could you point me to where such a standard might be located? Thank you.

Bob, I just reviewed section 91.205 and could find no reference to a TSO relating to the location of equipment on the instrument panel. Could you point me to where such a standard might be located? Thank you.

It’s in the ‘approved’ Garmin installation manual. The actual TSO requires you to install the box in accordance with the approved manual.

Snowflake, the Dynon screens are not readable at an angle, the Garmin screens are readable at an angle. Since I will be using the G3X to change radio channels and put in any input for the GPS [except approaches] I should not have to reach my stack on the right.

What do you mean the "Dynon screens are not readable at an angle"?

I was planning on going with two 10" Skyviews, but if I can't read the right one, maybe not?

Exactly not my experience (dual SkyView displays in an RV-8, 8A, 10 and 14). In the 10 and 14 the right side screen was always the EMS display. Perfectly readable to the pilot. I also have a lot of time flying the 10 and 14 from the right seat - the left screen is perfectly readable.

Carl

Okay, that's fair. Then why have them on the panel at all? Radios and transponders can be remote-mounted and controlled directly through the G3X. Unless you're concerned about backup, when the screens fail and you want to use the radios directly. In which case, they should probably still be in the middle where they're easily accessible.

With a 10" screen and the radios in the middle, you could even declutter the screen a lot and just use the radios directly all the time.

Back