What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 With a IO320

n38139

Well Known Member
Anybody have any experience with a RV-8 and an IO320? I have a friend that wants to sell one. It also has a constant speed prop.

thanks

Sounds like a nice combo, bit lighter as well. If you run the 320 hard as in 75% then you would be close to a 360's output anyway running less then 75%. It's all about fuel & ROC when it comes to a larger bore engine, outright speed isn't a huge difference I have found anyway with other airframes:)
I run my 8 (IO360 CS) around 55% Pwr 27-28 lph for 150 Kts TAS up high. There's no hurry in life, there's always tomorrow:D

Last edited:
Anybody have any experience with a RV-8 and an IO320? I have a friend that wants to sell one. It also has a constant speed prop.

thanks

I flew behind an IO-320 with a CS prop for many years. The only time you'll really notice is when you're flying with other RV owners who have bigger engines that won't wait on you. My *good* buddies pulled it back an inch or two and waited on me... :)

Last edited:
Resale value

The only experience your friend will be interested in is resale value. I have watched the RV8 market for years and most RV8s with a 320 will sell for significantly less than one with a 360. (Same for RV6s, and RV7s, and yes, I know there are exceptions to this)

Bottom line is that a 360 can do anything a 320 can do, but a 320 can't do things a 360 can do.

And in real life examples, a buddy of mine is just finishing a conversion of his RV8 from a 320 to a 360.

You could get it and spruce it up with the I0-340 parts that Cub Crafters uses on their lightweight engines. If you did that and a composite prop I would imagine you would have a power to weight ratio better than a stock 360 :D

I have flown 2 RV-8's with an 0-320. First flights actually.
1 Built by a guy on a budget. Got the engine for free. This was a bare bones build just to get her flying. It was awful. And I imagine it would be even more awful with a pax. Not sure I would even fly one with a pax. Light yes. Flew yes. Fun no. He soon swapped out the engine for a 360 for reasons you would expect.

Dont know what happened to the other one.

Both exerted the same performance. awful.

The only experience your friend will be interested in is resale value. I have watched the RV8 market for years and most RV8s with a 320 will sell for significantly less than one with a 360. (Same for RV6s, and RV7s, and yes, I know there are exceptions to this)

Bottom line is that a 360 can do anything a 320 can do, but a 320 can't do things a 360 can do.

And in real life examples, a buddy of mine is just finishing a conversion of his RV8 from a 320 to a 360.

I have flown 2 RV-8's with an 0-320. First flights actually.
1 Built by a guy on a budget. Got the engine for free. This was a bare bones build just to get her flying. It was awful. And I imagine it would be even more awful with a pax. Not sure I would even fly one with a pax. Light yes. Flew yes. Fun no. He soon swapped out the engine for a 360 for reasons you would expect.

Dont know what happened to the other one.

Both exerted the same performance. awful.

Ask anyone with as many hours as I have behind a 320 powered two seat RV and they will tell you to get the 360. As Jim said, the 360 will do anything the 320 will but the 320 will not do what the 360 can.

I have run with 10:1 match flowed blueprinted 320 and it will not do what the stock 360 can. According to the Type Certificate Data Sheet, the 360 is 10 pounds heaver but the 20 extra horses always does better than a 320 pumped up and turning 2,900 RPM.

Well there you have it, doesn't seem the 320 fares well opinion wise. Good point already mentioned about resale value, must admit when I was looking for an 8 I didn't even stop to look at a 320 or even FP prop in any combo, but that was personal choice.
I have a friend who has a 4 with a 160HP IO320 FP & even though the 4 is a diff beast it goes like a scolded cat!

Will it perform as well as an O-360, obviously knot. Will it be better than an 0-320, RV-6,7,9; probably so. Those narrow bodies haul but. Put a light two blade whirlwind constant speed on and it should be a nice flying bird. Will it be better than any O-320 certified craft (Cherokee, skyhawk), for sure. Quote ?an O-320 RV-8 is not underpowered?.

If you are considering this bird you may want to do a little research into the engine. Is it a factory IO, or a converted one? The certified IO-320 has become somewhat of a rare engine, with possibly conical mounts, front mounted prop governor, lightening hole crank flange and a variety of sump configurations. Some of these engines had 7:00 to 1 compression for 80/87 fuel, additionally parts can be scarce. Since the -7 and -8 we're really designed around the 180-200 hp engines for the higher gross weights. I agree you would take a hit on resale.

thanks

Is it for sale? Can you or your friend send me the information & some pictures as could be interested to buy her

I have a little experience, having flown an RV-8 with an O-320 (150hp) and a fixed pitch cruise propeller for about 450hrs.

It performs "well enough" even off grass as long as the DA is not above 3000' or so.

Off of paved runways, it is easy - even with a "bubba in back".

The CS propeller would be a big improvement over a fixed cruise propeller. 160hp is an improvement over 150hp.

It really comes down to your mission and your budget. If the deal is good, I'd not hesitate to give the plane serious consideration.

I have 350 hrs on my IO-320 RV-8 with a 2 blade Catto at 1025 lbs empty and it performs quite well. A few key items to consider -
An IO-320 powered RV-8 will perform as well as or better than most of the other RV-Xs with a 320 of similar weight and wing loading / CG. The narrow fuselage does help in lowering drag. Depending on W&B, it will likely perform as well as or better than most of the wide body RVs with 360s and FP props. It will not likely out perform most RV-Xs with a 360 and a CS due to basic physics. Consider handing qualities, a light well balanced RV-8 is much more fun to fly acro than a nose heavy RV-8...which you can always ballast the nose heaviness, but that increases wing loading.
My IO-320D2A is a "parts motor built by Aero Sport. It could have been a carb'ed or injected motor, but I put a vertically mounted FM-100 on it and it became an IO instead of an O. I wouldn't get hung up if the IO-320 was a parts motor and not from a pedigreed certificated family.
I have done two up acro (spins, aileron / barrel rolls, loops) with no issues, it all depends on the empty weight and learning to the aircraft, not fly the engine and prop.
Are you buying this acft as an investment or to fly it and enjoy the gift of flight? I wouldn't worry about re-sale, there will be an informed buyer out there who will be glad to buy what you have.
If an IO-360 with CS prop was delivered today, would I put it on? Yes, absolutely, but until that happens, I will enjoy the fact that I have a safe, fun RV-8.

I run my 8 at 21/2300 27lph peak egt, IO360 /CS, 150 ktas, but can go 180 ktas when I want and climb like a homesick angle, I keep the airframe highly polished, makes a difference, a 360 can always be a 320 never the other way around👍:)

There was one at our field for a while. It held it's own against all the others because of weight. To be fair, it had a nice 4 into 1 system that helped it as well on the power front.

Everyone who flew it was most surprised, so I wouldn't be dissuaded.

You've heard the expression, "You can never have too much power, or too little fuel" (Unless you're in a 747-But I digress::D)

I had an RV 8 o-320. Loved it. Did a 156 KIAS. UNTIL I wanted to sell it. Nobody wanted an o-320:(

Back