Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-15
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2021, 08:56 PM

Default Adjustable Ergonomic Seating and BRS Compatible

#1 Adjustable Seats ( Standard or as an Option )

With more women pilots, instructors at flight schools, etc. let’s make sure the RV-15 fits them as well. This is an opportunity for Vans Aircraft to design the new RV-15 with broadly flexible seating ergonomics. Shorter stature women need to be accommodated with seats that allow say a 5+ foot tall person to fly as easily as a person who is 6 ½ feet tall.

#2 Option for later adding a Ballistic Recovery System

If the fuselage could be designed so that future retrofits for a BRS system could be accommodated, that would also be a huge selling point. So the suggestion here is to simply make the RV-15 BRS retrofit capable. This might simply be an option to later install this optional BRS system itself so to speak. In other words, extra bracing and a BRS compatible top fuselage cover might be what constitute the BRS retrofit option.

Choosing the retrofit option does not mean you are buying or getting ready to install the actual BRS system itself. You are basically just future proofing the RV-15 . Kind of like outfitting a plane to make it float capable.
Old 07-31-2021, 12:00 AM

Lycoming 4 cylinder (no Rotax)

170 knots cruise. No wing struts, RV-14 style wing, with some Fowler or even double Fowler flaps like they have on the Javeron Cub. I don’t see Vans being too excited about people hanging external loads off the plane, with the chance of flutter or even having something come loose and taking out the tail.

Since Vans haven’t ever done a bush style shock monster equipped gear, I would like the airfoiled leaf gear, like the Grove gear on the -8, however, the one piece that don’t rely on the gear boxes. Not a fan of the round gear legs on the engine mount for rough fields.

I prefer solid, flush rivets, as opposed to pulled rivets.
RV-8 empenage finished 10-2020

Wings Started.. 11-2020

Last edited by Taltruda : 07-31-2021 at 12:07 AM.
Old 07-31-2021, 06:36 AM

Default Well

I built my last RV before the 12 came out, so pulled rivets weren't an option. I'm not even a fan of pulled rivets, but the reality is making something that easy to build attracts more customers. I would think in an effort to attract more first time builders, Van's would go this way, but maybe not. For us "driven rivet" people, there isn't anything stopping us from doing it anyway, aside from a little more work.

I'd put my 2 cents in for other **** but I'd imagine Van's probably already have an idea on what they are going to do, so keeping it simple, Make it go fast, and make it go slow 35-40 mph would be my target.

-A window that can stay open in flight
-removable doors
-option to fly without the doors
-huge baggage door (think bearhawkish)
-EASE OF MAINTANCE (put panels in place to make things easy to get at)
-build the cowl so you can take off a side piece and get to the underside of
the engine, think Cessna T182 (I'd build it this way anyway but it would be
nice to have it done)
-plan for ductwork to get to the back seat (not that I care about people in
the back, if I really did they would have made the front seat, but I'm tired of
listening to them b876hing, so lets shut them up and provide a little magical
eyeball vent with heat so we can say "thats yours, shut up"
-tail pull as an option
-manual flaps
-give it space so tall people can fit, I'm 6'6" only built an 8 because it was
the only one I fit in at the time
-its needs more power than a rotax, so 4 or 6 cylinder lycoming please
-don't sacrifice ANYTHING for making it aerobatic, if it is then great
-straight tail (think Skywagon)
-option for wing extension's (this should be relatively easy to do)
-when built simple, make it be able to carry it's own weight
-put big fuel tanks in, 50 gal. for 4 cylinder engine, 75 gal. for 6

Make it feel like an RV (I know I didn't have to include that)
Old 07-31-2021, 10:54 AM

Default Old People and Those Who Don't Exercise

I'm pretty flexible for an old fart, but I still got on Kruger's case for needing the agility of a contortionist for getting your leg around the tall Vashon stick. Van's will get the performance right, but I hope include a huge consideration for the human factors interface with the airframe that makes it fun or drudgery to use. I can envision a swing-away or removable stick with all manner of interlocks, much like the -12's wing, or a center stick, or - wait for it! - a wheel! Limited joint motion, especially knees, are the usual problem. It's a laugh riot watching even young people struggle to exit my -7.

Make the door opening BIG, with its forward edge and the seat vamp really gappy. Ever notice all the Cessna heater vents mangled by size 10 feet squeezing between the size 3 seat-to-door-frame gap?

A strut is no bother for entry/exit if it is behind the door, and/or the door is sufficiently large and opens 90 or more degrees.

Please no swing wing: Complication, weight, expense, very thin market. (In 52 years of flying, I've never seen someone towing their aircraft, 'cept gliders, and know several instances of abandoning the commute.)

I'm hoping for a people friendly -15.

John Siebold
Old 07-31-2021, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltruda View Post
170 knots cruise. No wing struts, RV-14 style wing, with some Fowler or even double Fowler flaps like they have on the Javeron Cub. I don’t see Vans being too excited about people hanging external loads off the plane, with the chance of flutter or even having something come loose and taking out the tail

170kt (195mph) cruise and external loads probably aren't compatible. The fastest plane I have seen with external loads would be about 120mph. Then, of course, the drag of the item slows that down significantly. Turbo Otter would do 120 clean, and 90-100mph depending on the item. Even fishing poles tied to the float struts of a 180 slowed it down about 10mph.
Fuselage deburring and dimpling. So many holes
Dash 8 day job is financing the RV8
Donation till September 2022
Old 08-01-2021, 07:09 AM

Hi to any Van's folks reading this... I imagine you have the fundamental design details frozen already, but here are a few minor quality-of-life features I'd love to see:

1. Ability to look into the fuel tank while filling it. Many flight-school Cessnas have a series of steps and grab handles that let you climb the wing strut to peer into the tank, but not every high-wing airplane has such conveniences. I'll leave the specific details up to the designers - I just want to be able to pump gas without needing to find a stepladder.

2. The leading edge and bottom of the horizontal stabilizer will inevitably get hit by rocks when operating off-airport. It would be nice if the HS skins were beefed up to handle this, and/or designed to be repaired/replaced easily. I'll leave the details up to the designer on this one too.

3. Some kind of ground-handling handle so you can move the plane around while parked, without pushing on the tail or using a towbar. Actually I wish all taildraggers had this, but for an aircraft that's "backcountry capable" this seems especially useful.

Any opinions expressed in this message are my own and not those of my employer.
Old 08-01-2021, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV7ator View Post
I'm pretty flexible for an old fart, but I still got on Kruger's case for needing the agility of a contortionist for getting your leg around the tall Vashon stick. Van's will get the performance right, but I hope include a huge consideration for the human factors interface with the airframe that makes it fun or drudgery to use. I can envision a swing-away or removable stick with all manner of interlocks, much like the -12's wing, or a center stick, or - wait for it! - a wheel! Limited joint motion, especially knees, are the usual problem. It's a laugh riot watching even young people struggle to exit my -7.

John Siebold
Again, I never thought I'd say this, but experience (however small) is a plus over no experience.

My friends Peg has a Y stick in the middle. Before I got in, I thought why would you do something like that? Real airplanes should have two sticks! Well, not really...

The fact is, that it's really easy to get in and out. Plus when you're flying you never notice the difference. Amazing what you can learn when you have the chance. Throttle on both sides of the panel.

Bob

Subscription Paid for 2021

Home is where the hanger is...
Old 08-01-2021, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mburch View Post
Hi to any Van's folks reading this... I imagine you have the fundamental design details frozen already, but here are a few minor quality-of-life features I'd love to see:

3. Some kind of ground-handling handle so you can move the plane around while parked, without pushing on the tail or using a towbar. Actually I wish all taildraggers had this, but for an aircraft that's "backcountry capable" this seems especially useful.
Like these?
https://basinc-aeromod.com/tail_pull_handles.php
RV-8 empenage finished 10-2020

Wings Started.. 11-2020
Old 08-01-2021, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltruda View Post
Yes, I had that page open in another tab while I was writing my suggestion, I'd just like to see it as a factory-sanctioned option similar to the low-wing step kit.

Any opinions expressed in this message are my own and not those of my employer.
Old 08-04-2021, 02:57 PM

Jumping on some other suggestions here...

- Grab handle would definitely be nice and probably not killer to add (at least as an option).
- Skylights would be very cool, probably would have to be an option though as you'd probably need extra bracing around them to compensate for the lack of skin there.
- Having a large-ish rear door and removable smaller rear-facing seats might work well, you could have a 4-seater (2 adults, 2 kids realistically) with not much cargo room, or remove the seats and have a large cargo area with a large door.