- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 11-21-2021, 10:19 PM

Default Slipping a 9

So I was high on final, full flaps. I decided to slip and went full right rudder and whatever aileron to stay lined up on the centerline. My problem is it didn't make an appreciable difference in my descent rate or at least not what I expected. So could it be that with a nose up attitude and full flaps I'm taking wind from my tail making it less effective in a slip?
I haven't tried it with less flaps. Anybody care to share their experiences?
Thanks
danny
Old 11-21-2021, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny View Post
So I was high on final, full flaps. I decided to slip and went full right rudder and whatever aileron to stay lined up on the centerline. My problem is it didn't make an appreciable difference in my descent rate or at least not what I expected. So could it be that with a nose up attitude and full flaps I'm taking wind from my tail making it less effective in a slip?
I haven't tried it with less flaps. Anybody care to share their experiences?
Thanks
danny
Slipping a -9 with full flaps works just fine. I feel that less than full flaps will not produce as much drag as you are getting at full flaps and a slip. Where was the wind coming from? Best effectiveness comes by putting the wind down into the wind and full rudder. You can also try slipping at lower than normal airspeed, it really works well, just don’t lose directional control.
RV-8 empenage finished 10-2020

Wings Started.. 11-2020
Old 11-21-2021, 10:36 PM

I've also found that slips in my RV-9A don't help all that much.

One topic I've never read about is what speed gives the steepest descent angle in a slip. Since the -9A has a benign stall, with practice, you could slip at a relatively low speed if that turns out to give the steepest descent angle. Don't know.

Constant speed prop helps a lot in deceleration...

Ed
Vaccines kept me out of the hospital but COVID still cost me a month of living, all told...
Old 11-21-2021, 11:01 PM

Full flaps, my -9 slips great. Comes down like a rock so long as I use full rudder as well. Partial rudder seems to reduce sink rate significantly.

Do note, however, that your airspeed may not read real accurately in a slip so practice at altitude until you get a feel for it.

Donation reminder: Jan. 2022
Old 11-21-2021, 11:22 PM

Default Slip and Slide

Seems like some airplanes, especially low wing types don’t come down much steeper in a slip if you let the speed get high. You may need to make a conscious effort to watch the speed and be ready to raise the nose higher than you’d think necessary. As others have said, practice at least two or three misteaks high. Try flying it all the way to the stall when it’s all cross controlled and see what happens. Most (MOST!) airplanes (Citabrias, Decathlons, all the 1xx series Cessna singles, Cherokees in all their variants, high wing Pipers, Taylorcraft, Champs, etc. stall pretty benign in a slip.) Skids are much different! Notably, our RV-6 will buffet mightily and often break over the top if it’s flown to a standstill in a slip. The -9 is reputed to be very docile so my hipshot is that you’ll just run out of rudder or aileron, then elevator and it will maybe buffet and descend very steeply without departing controlled flight. Please note that I’m not suggesting you do this in the pattern but you need to know what happens in the worst case, and on your way to the worst case before you fly slips in the pattern. As always, YMMV.

Last edited by JDeanda : 11-21-2021 at 11:26 PM.
Old 11-21-2021, 11:46 PM

No problem with slips here although I can see how a slip would be more pronounced with a more conventional wing. Forward slips are more effective with flaps in my experience, but either way that big rudder makes it a pretty effective maneuver for me.
AFS 5400/3500, G5, IFD440 navigator,
bunch of other stuff
Old 11-22-2021, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltruda View Post
Where was the wind coming from? Best effectiveness comes by putting the wind down into the wind and full rudder.
Wind/slip direction has no effect on the slip descent rate or angle, it just affects alignment. I see the idea passed around on occasion that slipping into the wind will make you come down faster or steeper which it won't.

Last edited by luddite42 : 11-22-2021 at 08:40 AM.
Old 11-22-2021, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinelakespilot2000 View Post
Full flaps, my -9 slips great. Comes down like a rock so long as I use full rudder as well. Partial rudder seems to reduce sink rate significantly.

Do note, however, that your airspeed may not read real accurately in a slip so practice at altitude until you get a feel for it.
Ditto with my 9A
Old 11-22-2021, 08:54 AM

Yes it's true that for RVs in general slips don't alter the descent nearly as much as some other draggier and aerobatic types with larger control surfaces. RVs are rudder limited and don't have a lot of drag to exploit.
Old 11-22-2021, 09:19 AM

My 9A slipped very well. Full flaps, nose high and FULL rudder for a short field landing. Just before landing, smoothly relax the rudder and push forward on the stick to arrest the descent rate. Creepy feeling pushing forward on the stick to flare, but that's the way it works.

The 9 wing is not like the other RVs. Practice at altitude.
RV-9A complete
Harmon Rocket complete
Part of EAA award-winning OnSpeed team
The VV in huVVer.tech
Victoria, BC (Summer)
Chandler, Az (Winter)