Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-15
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2021, 09:00 AM

Default RV15-suggestion to Van

With the price of paint and paint shop labor sky rocketing, Wouldn't be great if RV15 kit came with pre-finished skins, the same as as https://www.vashonaircraft.com.

It will help speed up completing the aircraft and eliminate finding and scheduling paint shops.

It not as standard kit, pre-finished skins may be provided as an Option.

Thank you Van. When can I order my kit?
Old 07-31-2021, 10:00 AM

Default Ain't happening

If I was Vans, the last thing I would do is pre paint parts and try to send them.
I can see all the customers complaining about a buff mark here or scratches there. What a nightmare it would be.
Ain't gonna happen.
Good luck Art
Old 07-31-2021, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abwaldal@gmail.com View Post
If I was Vans, the last thing I would do is pre paint parts and try to send them.
I can see all the customers complaining about a buff mark here or scratches there. What a nightmare it would be.
Ain't gonna happen.
Good luck Art
I do see your point as we are buying parts and not a finished plane. So you donít think the plastic protection they already use can keep the pre-finished parts safe? Certainly, you and I will not make the decision. However, there are many finished products shipped safely every day.
Old 07-31-2021, 01:44 PM

Default LOL

Data point:

Every major shipment that I received while building my -10 was damaged during shipping EXCEPT the QB wings and fuse, which was delivered by Partain.

Luckily, most of the damage was to the crates and packaging, with only minor damage to to parts inside.

...and the blue plastic did not prevent those parts from ending up with some scratches...

RV-10
N464RL

Dues+ Paid 2020,...Thanks DR+
Old 07-31-2021, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman1988 View Post
Data point:

Every major shipment that I received while building my -10 was damaged during shipping EXCEPT the QB wings and fuse, which was delivered by Partain.

Luckily, most of the damage was to the crates and packaging, with only minor damage to to parts inside.

...and the blue plastic did not prevent those parts from ending up with some scratches...
In contrast, I had zero damage to my parts. Not even a hairline scratch.
Old 07-31-2021, 04:59 PM

Default So...

Taking your data, and my data, the end result is that it will arrive scratched!

RV-10
N464RL

Dues+ Paid 2020,...Thanks DR+
Old 07-31-2021, 01:51 PM

Maybe a suggested experiment. Take 2 pieces of aluminum, shaped similar to what you find with kit parts. Prime & paint to finish gloss quality. Go through the usual build steps of cleko installation (2 or 3 times), maybe run a drill through the holes, dimple as would in the build process. Cleko again, than rivet (try both solid rivets & pulled rivets) your test pieces together & see if the prefinished surface is still in pristine shape. How'd it look?
Now picture how it would look with 18000 or more rivet repetitions.

Vachon may be able to do it in a production line environment (with pulled rivets). Most homebuilders go through a learning/training phase and don't work in pristine shop environments, so the process of painting afterwards covers a multitude of minor blemishes that pre-finished panels would be impossible to hide.

Last edited by Ralph Inkster : 07-31-2021 at 03:24 PM.
Old 08-04-2021, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flysrv10 View Post
I do see your point as we are buying parts and not a finished plane. So you donít think the plastic protection they already use can keep the pre-finished parts safe? Certainly, you and I will not make the decision. However, there are many finished products shipped safely every day.
the plastic protection "they" use is not for protection during assembly. it is put on by the sheet manufacture to protect the sheet from damage during machine work. IE automated shears, punches and brakes. to use that type of protection vans would have to do the machine work, remove the protective film, finish the sheet, an reinstall a protective film. way to much work and cost.

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB
Old 08-04-2021, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n82rb View Post
the plastic protection "they" use is not for protection during assembly. it is put on by the sheet manufacture to protect the sheet from damage during machine work. IE automated shears, punches and brakes. to use that type of protection vans would have to do the machine work, remove the protective film, finish the sheet, an reinstall a protective film. way to much work and cost.

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB
FYI, we do actually apply the blue protective film - here at the Van's factory - after we receive it from the supplier (it comes to us without any protective film) and before we start putting the sheets into the CNC punch presses to make airplane parts.

Building RV-8A since Sept 2014
Dual AFS 5600, Avidyne IFD 440, Whirlwind 74RV, Superior XP IO-360
VAF build thread - Flickr photo album - Project Facebook page
Aurora, OR (EAA Chapter 105)

Old 08-08-2021, 08:35 AM

Default Fuel System

Since the RV-15 will be flown to remote locations which lack fuel, it would be nice if there was ample fuel capacity for the round trip. They say long range tanks are the best speed mod if you can avoid a landing to refuel.

I don't know if Cessna ever solved the uneven fuel feed between left and right tanks while in the "Both" fuel selector position. That would be awesome if Vans could pull that off.