- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 06-15-2021, 08:09 PM

Default New to me RV-3

Hey guys, I'm new here. Already paid up on my due's. I just recently purchased this wonderful RV-3. Its an A with a B wing added later. This is hands down the best flying airplane I have ever flown outside of maybe an Extra 300L. I am literally in shock at how good it is. I had a handful of hours in an RV-7 15 years ago along with an hour refresher in another 7 recently and felt fine hoping right in after a little coaching from a bud on the quirks of the RV-3. It's really true what they say about the RV-3, it is stupid good. Thanks for having me along for the ride, look forward to meeting more of the RV guys in the future! Feel free to impart wisdom!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV3 in front of hanger .jpg
Views:	421
Size:	795.8 KB
ID:	12651  Click image for larger version

Name:	RV behind AirCam.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	777.6 KB
ID:	12653  Click image for larger version

Name:	Day it came home .jpg
Views:	431
Size:	703.5 KB
ID:	12652  
Old 06-15-2021, 08:14 PM

I want your Aircam!
G
Old 06-15-2021, 10:24 PM

Sweeeeeet!!

Very nice, enjoy it and single-seat flying.

My only suggestion would be to sort out any shortcomings it may have right away. Mine had a slightly heavy wing and a too-far-forward CG for optimal enjoyment. The only two things I wish I had addressed.
Old 06-16-2021, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailvi767 View Post
I want your Aircam!
G
The Aircam is AMAZING for a nice relaxing flight. Probably one of the best airplanes to introduce kids to aviation. I love taking people up in it.
Old 06-16-2021, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUcary View Post
Hey guys, I'm new here. Already paid up on my due's. I just recently purchased this wonderful RV-3. Its an A with a B wing added later. This is hands down the best flying airplane I have ever flown outside of maybe an Extra 300L. I am literally in shock at how good it is. I had a handful of hours in an RV-7 15 years ago along with an hour refresher in another 7 recently and felt fine hoping right in after a little coaching from a bud on the quirks of the RV-3. It's really true what they say about the RV-3, it is stupid good. Thanks for having me along for the ride, look forward to meeting more of the RV guys in the future! Feel free to impart wisdom!
THAT, gained you some respect.......

Welcome!
VAF #897 Warren Moretti
2020 =VAF= Dues PAID
Old 06-16-2021, 02:30 AM

I too had an A converted to a B with factory-made wings as part of the promotional upgrade program. What "quirks" of the RV-3B do you speak of? Aside from not having somebody along to talk with, which many times can be a plus more than a quirk. I did dislike the non-swivel tailwheel when it came to pushing the airplane around on the ground. I fixed that by buying the RV-3 sized tailwheel socket and Screaming Eagle wheel assembly from FlyBoys and then machining the original tailwheel rod spring to match to socket. It can tend to have the main landing rod gear shimmy on concrete surfaces with expansion joints, just like the other engine mount attached landing gear RVs. I fixed that by buying the highest-quality tires from Michelin that were actually round and balanced. I found the RV-3 to be every bit as honest as any other RV types flown, just more nimble and fun.

Oh, and more importantly, Welcome Aboard!

Last edited by jliltd : 06-16-2021 at 02:33 AM. Reason: Welcome Aboard!
Old 06-16-2021, 06:26 AM

Default Welcome!

Welcome to VAF and to RV3 flying. It really is a fun little airplane. What engine/prop combination does yours have? Do you have the fuselage fuel tank or wet wings? I’m also curious about the little fairings between the gear struts and the fuselage. Mine doesn’t have those. Yours make that area look much cleaner.

Enjoy!

Donated 2021
Old 06-16-2021, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Pulman View Post
Welcome to VAF and to RV3 flying. It really is a fun little airplane. What engine/prop combination does yours have? Do you have the fuselage fuel tank or wet wings? I’m also curious about the little fairings between the gear struts and the fuselage. Mine doesn’t have those. Yours make that area look much cleaner.

Enjoy!
0-320, 160HP, Wet wings. It has a ton of thrust and I love it but I want to change the prop over to get a little more on the top end. The way an RV maintains energy is amazing. Beating up the pattern in the 3 is about as good as it gets to me.
Old 06-16-2021, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jliltd View Post
I too had an A converted to a B with factory-made wings as part of the promotional upgrade program. What "quirks" of the RV-3B do you speak of? Aside from not having somebody along to talk with, which many times can be a plus more than a quirk. I did dislike the non-swivel tailwheel when it came to pushing the airplane around on the ground. I fixed that by buying the RV-3 sized tailwheel socket and Screaming Eagle wheel assembly from FlyBoys and then machining the original tailwheel rod spring to match to socket. It can tend to have the main landing rod gear shimmy on concrete surfaces with expansion joints, just like the other engine mount attached landing gear RVs. I fixed that by buying the highest-quality tires from Michelin that were actually round and balanced. I found the RV-3 to be every bit as honest as any other RV types flown, just more nimble and fun.

Oh, and more importantly, Welcome Aboard!
I should not say quirks, more like tendencies... The controls on the 3 are light and I noticed on the first landing the PIO can happen quickly as my buddy told me. After I sorted that out it was great!
Old 06-17-2021, 07:47 AM

Welcome to the club… checked-rudder makes them faster

RV-6 G-BZRV - Flown the nest.