What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

flight testing mel question

mbick7077

Just past the DAR inspection on my 9A. Have a test pilot lined up to complete the first flight. He suggested that he could complete my 5 hours of flight instruction (insurance required) flying time in my 9A. This way I would used to flying my 9A with the dynon 100 and 120. The insurance is questioning this? As per (10) During the flight testing phase, no person may be carried in this aircarft during flight unless that person is essential to the purpose of flight. It appears that my flight instructor would be an essential to the purpose of flight? Thanks Mel colorado RV 9a

Unfortunately......

It appears that my flight instructor would be an essential to the purpose of flight? Thanks Mel colorado RV 9a

The "purpose" of all flights during phase I is flight testing the aircraft. Therefore, flight instruction cannot be the "purpose of the flight."
I know some people will agree with your theory. But this is discussed every year at our DAR seminars and it is simply not acceptable.

I know you want to fly your new plane and it has been a long time coming but.... Do it right. Take your time, go to transition training, learn how to fly an airplane that has been proven, meet all your insurance requirements then fly your plane. Last thing you want to do is potentially give the insurance company an excuse not to pay you if something goes wrong or worst yet hurt yourself or your plane because you got in a hurry. You are already thinking and weighing your options by obtaining a test pilot. A few more mitigating steps will go a long way. Good luck.

What Mel said ... PLUS ...

The "purpose" of all flights during phase I is flight testing the aircraft. Therefore, flight instruction cannot be the "purpose of the flight."
I know some people will agree with your theory. But this is discussed every year at our DAR seminars and it is simply not acceptable.

Your question was directed to Mel, but I, like others have done test flying of friends' airplanes. Below are some thoughts that fortunately, I did not have to share with them explicitly.

1. Test flying is NOT a time for distractions .... you would be a distraction.
2. Training in an UNTESTED plane is NOT the place for training... you would be in one.
3. UNTESTED planes with pilots-to-be undergoing training are most likely NOT insured ... that may not matter to you, but you would be under said conditions.
4. If you ignored all of this and went ahead anyway and got caught, it would most likely make things just a bit more burdensome for all the rest of us, so PLEASE do NOT do that. The rules that are in place give us a lot of leeway. We do not need to stretch them as if we do, they may snap back and overly constrain us all.

It seems that you have stayed safe and wise all this time. Another month or so to do it RIGHT "won't kill you".

When is has been thoroughly tested, you will have a plane that you will be able to comfortably enjoy whether you are just in the pattern getting some training or taking cross country with a good friend.

As everyone else has said, flight training during Phase I Flight Testing is NOT allowed.

I do recommend the EAA Flight Advisor Program and Transition Training.

Here is what the EAA says about Flight Training in Experimental/Amateur Built aircraft.
The link in the article say:
First, the aircraft in question must have already completed it’s flight test phase (called “phase one operations”). Phase one is usually either the first 25 or 40 hours of operation, depending on what engine/prop combination is installed. During phase one operations, only the pilot can be in the aircraft, so no dual flight instruction could take place in the aircraft during this time.

I know of an AB aircraft that had the builder in the aircraft for instruction by the test pilot during phase I flight testing. They crashed the airplane on the airport. They both had minor injuries. The airport manager now NO LONGER ALLOWS Homebuilt aircraft to be flight tested out of that airport.

Last edited:
I was in exactly the same situation as you are now. Many factors influenced my decision to get propertransition training with Mike Seager. Not giving the insurance company an excuse to avoid paying in the event of an accident was a big factor. I don't regret one minute of the time I spent with Mike. I came back and flew my RV, and it felt like a comfortable old shoe.

Jim Bower
St. Louis
-6A N143DJ...flying at last

Back